LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 6:31 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I agree. The problem with pickups is the shape. My V6 Toyota doesn't get much better mileage than the V8, but that's just the way it is.

Unless they have some really aerodynamic bed cover...

BTW, I think we have traded emails before. I contacted you a few months back, and you put me in touch with Lee kaiser regarding the Rotus.

My Rotus has been on the road for a while now, and tell him I swapped out the rover engine for a LS1. Now it has enough power :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17, 2006, 9:20 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

I seem to recall a report/survey that clained that most of the energy that a car expends is getting from 0-30 (maybe the greatest fuel consumption)

Electric motors&batteries/regentaive braking/Hydraulic resvors or "large spinning flywheels" could convert "kenetic energy" and store it as "potential energy" and use it in those 0-30 moments.

I would be interested in seeing a 60MPG pickup and if it recognizeable as a pickup anymore.

It amazes me that the model-T got 25 MPG

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14, 2007, 8:51 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_leanmachine.htm
38 hp diesel 2 cylinder
120 mpg; 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Built in 1983.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24, 2007, 5:06 pm 

one of the problems with all these new engine technologies is fuel supply and emissions. The major reason that turbines have not been used in cars as a production element is there extreme noise emissions. GM has experimented with several such cars, but can't get around the exhaust gas temp and the noise.

Another problem with some of the new combustion engines is that they are worse for NOx and C02 emissions that current production engines, diesels have a huge particulate problem, esp as combustion speeds are slowed down in order to be able run on different (bio) fuels. Most new advanced diesel exhaust systems are coming out with particulate traps that need to be cycled (self cleaned) every so often in order to keep efficiency up.

if it were me.. I'd stick with an all carbon fiber monocoque and a small (250-450cc) motorcycle engine powering an electric generator... better engines can be developed, more efficient mostly, but you can get a reasonable about of torque out of a 250cc 4 stroke engine. Run a decent electric generator off of it and you have a potent city commuter car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15, 2007, 8:31 am 
I'll take one of these cars.
Quote:
17 world records

After the trials were over, Opel could successfully note no fewer than 17 new world records for special cars with turbocharged diesel engines in the 1100 to 1499cc class, including:

* An average speed of 141 mph over 24 hours (at an average 31.4 mpg)
* Top speed of 160.2 mph
* Best fuel consumption in Economy run: 111.2 mpg

http://www.hydro.com/en/press_room/news/features/opel_speedster.html

maybe they just need to hand them the x-prize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2007, 1:18 am 

chetcpo wrote:
Any information yet on what the additional requirements are for this contest? How many passengers, what type of driving, minimum weight, max speed, etc?

Yeah, the draft of the rules etc has been out for about a week.

http://auto.xprize.org/xprize/

I hadn't taken the Automotive X Prize particularly seriously--at least not as far as my own participation--because a production 100mpg sedan is beyond my capability...but now that the rules are out I've sent for a Letter of Intent application.

They're going to have two classes. The expected Mainstream class (4 seats minimum etc) plus an (unexpected) Alternative class, which seems to have been written around my Kubota/2k7 project. 2 seats, side by side seating, 0 to 60 in no more than 12 seconds, production capable, 100mpg of course...the only things my project lacks in its current incarnation are an 80mph top speed and a ragtop, and I'll have almost two years to figure those out. So I'm entering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2007, 10:03 am 
KB58 wrote:
That yellow egg-shaped one is about the best shape that can contain a human driver. I read someplace the Cd of the basic body was something crazy like 0.04. Pretty nuts. With a good engine it should be easily doable.

I read the same thing about the Aptera. I bet that was absolutely clean, with no dust or bug guts. The sailplane boys, who live and die by drag coefficients, even have systems that can wash their leading edges while IN FLIGHT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26, 2007, 8:50 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

September 18, 2002 - The premiere of the spectacular Eco-Speedster concept at this year’s Paris Motor Show marks the start of a diesel offensive by Opel/Vauxhall.

Quote:
From now until the end of 2003 Opel and Vauxhall will introduce four all-new diesel engines with power outputs up to 177 hp. The launch of Eco-Speedster marks the start of this new emphasis on diesel power. It demonstrates how lightweight aerodynamic bodywork and a new 1.3 litre CDTI common-rail diesel engine can achieve an amazing top speed combined with miserly fuel consumption.

During initial testing the 112 hp concept car reached a maximum speed of more than 155 mph while fuel consumption on the combined cycle was an incredible 113 mpg.

The prototype is based on the mid-engined Opel Speedster (Vauxhall VX220) and features new carbon fibre bodywork with improved aerodynamics. With significantly reduced drag (Cd = 0.20) and even lower weight (reduced to 660 kg), the Eco-Speedster is powered by the new compact ECOTEC 1.3 CDTI engine, which uses multi-jet common-rail fuel injection, four valves per cylinder and variable-geometry turbocharger.

The four-cylinder engine, a manifestation of the first joint venture from FIAT-GM Powertrain, is scheduled to make its production debut in 2003 and will meet Euro 4 emission limits. In the Eco-Speedster it is mated to GM’s Easytronic automated manual transmission, as fitted to the Corsa.

Explaining the background of the prototype, Opel CEO Carl-Peter Forster said: “The Eco-Speedster is the symbol of our comprehensive diesel offensive and at the same time demonstrates the engineering expertise of Opel in powertrains, lightweight design and aerodynamics.”

as found at.....
http://archive.cardesignnews.com/autosh ... speedster/

More interesting reads here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Op ... gle+Search

To err is human...
I am more human than most.