LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brrrrrr it's cold!
PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 12:07 am 

In Prince Rupert BC many of the buildings have snowblowers left on their roof all winter so that's it's easy to clear the snow when it accumulates.

Attachment:
RupertRoof.png

We've been lucky so far this winter, it's been cold but not much snow. It was quite warm today, only -31C with the windchill....had to back off the heater in my truck and open a window while driving.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 2:10 am 
Toyotaphobe

THEY ARE DOING IT TO US AGAIN!!

This morning they were telling us that it would be 50 degrees tomorrow and as of the evening news they've changed it to us getting 2"-4" of snow tomorrow instead!

We get one semi decent day on Thursday and then snow moves in from Friday through Tuesday. I'm going to pack up and move down south where it's warm. I'm tired of all this cold weather and snow up here in the north.

Global warming my frozen posterior.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 9:07 am 

Quote:

Don't you know? They have listened to this kind of response too much. It is affecting their grant money. To get more people on their side, they no longer are using the term "Global Warming". The term they are now prefer to use is "Climate Change". Here in Chicago, we are on pace to be the 2nd coldest Feb since 1875. According to my math, that is 140 years! Fortunately, not a whole lot of snow though. I can't imagine how cold it would be without all this global warming to help us out. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 9:15 am 
We are Slotus!

BHRmotorsport wrote:
It was quite warm today, only -31C with the windchill....had to back off the heater in my truck and open a window while driving.
Bill, I think you're a nice guy. I like ya, Bro... But that statement tells me that there is something very wrong with you. Seek professional help. And close that damn window!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 25, 2015, 12:22 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I'm with JD on that "quite warm" statement.

HA! Take that mother nature!

Not only did it not snow last night, but we've also got sun today! OK, it's still cold, but it's not wet & slippery too.

As the evening news was ending the sports anchor was telling the weatherman that he had the best job at the station. He got to say Might, Maybe, Probably and nobody ever held him accountable. This time I'm glad he was wrong.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 12:21 am 

carguy123 wrote:

I attended an annual pilot recurrency training session a couple of weeks ago and one of the speakers was a weather guy. He explained how global warming is leading to climate change, how global warming is affecting weather patterns differently in different parts of the continent, specifically how it was affecting the center of the continent. I'll see if I can explain this correctly without waving my arms around.

He said that global warming has created warmer-than-previous ocean currents in the Pacific (an increase of 0.7C in the last 100 years). These ocean currents warm the high pressure areas that grow in the Pacific off of the west coast of the continent, making them stronger which allows them to travel inland further and farther north than previously. The highs used to fizzle out over northern BC but are now driving up into the Yukon, Alaska and sometimes even the high arctic. Because the wind rotates clockwise around a high pressure it pulls cold air down from the arctic into the center of the continent, and with the highs pushing further north the cold air pushed south (those "jet stream" drawings that you sometimes see on weather forecasts) is colder than before and is driving deeper into the continent than before. The result is colder winters for the center of the continent. And, he stated that we better get used to it...the cold winters are here to stay in the center of the continent and they will get colder and colder over time. In this case the center of the continent is defined as everything 400 miles either side of a line drawn between Winnipeg Manitoba and Laredo TX. Buy a parka when the season end sale comes along!

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 12:32 am 
Toyotaphobe

A friend of mine just posted this today on that self same subject with even more experts chiming in. It's worth a read.

I recently had a discussion with some friends about the "alarming" global climate changes. I took the unpopular position that it is all a bunch of hogwash. The so-called scientists know that only by promoting the most extreme warnings of imminent danger will they get any government grants to fund their pet projects (and avoid having to get real jobs.) The politicians know that only by scaring the voting population (and convincing them that only the politicians have the answers) can they win elections and get all that power over the people.

Why do I believe that? Because we have had these same fools promoting their private agenda for centuries. From Thomas Malthus in the early 1700s to the UN and our government "officials" the rhetoric seldom changes.

The first Earth Day was held in 1970. Here's what the alarmists "scientists" and politicians were saying then.

Earth Day Predictions, 1970
"We have about five more years at the outside to do something."
Kenneth Watt, ecologist

"Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind."
George Wald, Harvard Biologist

"We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation."
Barry Commoner, Washington University biologist

"Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction."
New York Times editorial, the day after the first Earth Day

"Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years."
Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

"By...[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s."

"It is already too late to avoid mass starvation."
Denis Hayes, chief organizer for Earth Day

"Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions....By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine."
Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University

"Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support...the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution...by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half...."
Life Magazine, January 1970

"At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it's only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable."
Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

"Air pollution...is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone."

"We are prospecting for the very last of our resources and using up the nonrenewable things many times faster than we are finding new ones."
Martin Litton, Sierra Club director

"By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate...that there won't be any more crude oil. You'll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill 'er up, buddy,' and he'll say, `I am very sorry, there isn't any.'"
Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

"Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct."
Sen. Gaylord Nelson

"The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age."
Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

So, here we are, 45 years later. Living in a world on the verge of extinction; no civilization, no food, no oil, no sunlight, no air to breath, and ice sheets advancing from the north. Oh! Wait! No we're not. Ya think they might have got it a little bit wrong?

Next time you hear extremist claims about climate change or any other enviro-nazi rhetoric, be very, very skeptical. In fact, the more extreme the announcements, the more you can be sure someone is lying to you. Don't be gullible.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 2:19 am 

Makes me think of a 1988 movie with Don Ameche, 'Things Change'.

The climate has been in a state of flux since the earth has had a climate. The big argument is how responsible is the human race for it.

To fuel the paranoia read Michael Crichton's 'State of Fear'. However even he recanted.

I'm confused to the point of wait and see. At my age I'll be long gone by the time the sh!t its the fan.

But just in case perhaps the DFW folks should pick up some parkas.

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 4:30 am 

a.moore wrote:
This winter stuff needs to end soon. Back in December this would have seemed like a really bad idea.....

(and I tag JD :mrgreen: )

Not in the snow but I gave the kids an old landrover to roar around the fields in when they were younger. I was in the workshop and heard all these screams and laughter so I stuck my head out to see what was going on, to my horror they had tied a car bonnet to the back of the truck and three of them were clinging to it for dear life while the one driving was trying his hardest to shake them off. Guess who the spoilsport was.

Bob

Attachment:
file.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:29 am 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:
The climate has been in a state of flux since the earth has had a climate. The big argument is how responsible is the human race for it.

I'm confused to the point of wait and see. At my age I'll be long gone by the time the sh!t its the fan.

When I'm not in here being the Class Clown, I'm a geologist. That doesn't make me a climate expert, by any means. However, IMHO, Larry hits it on the head with the question of how responsible mankind is for climate change.

The earth's climate has changed incredible amounts over time. Most of those changes took place before the Industrial Revolution of the early 1900's, when mankind seemingly made an impact on the climate. (And even that took about a hundred years to be noticeable!) During the time of the dinosaurs (Jurassic, like in the movie!) the earth's overall climate was quite warm. There was an "Extinction Event" generally attributed to the impact of a huge comet. Climate got colder (can you say "ice age"?), mostly due to lack of sunlight caused by the dust/smoke of that event. I think it's a fair statement to say it's been warming up ever since. (I think?)

Another key point that most of the fear-mongers leave out is the rate of change. True global climate changes take hundreds of years, if not thousands of years, to make themselves known. Looking at 50 years of data, or 100, is likely too short range to actually see/predict the trends of climate overall. It might make your study look good, or bad, depending on who's paying you... And THAT, my friends, ain't science!

Too many of the so-called scientific studies doctor their presentations by picking the right endpoint to their data set so that their pre-conceived conclusions come out right. Given, good climate data only goes "so far" back in time before the technology didn't exist to record good info. However, if you want to truly analyze a trend in climate, you'd need to use ALL the available data to actually see the trend as opposed to a "bump in the road" of the real data set.

So, who do we believe? What's really happening? Damned if I know. I do know there's too damned many people with their own agendas clouding the issue. I'm with Larry, "I'm confused to the point of wait and see. At my age I'll be long gone by the time the sh!t its the fan."

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 9:14 am 

The old adage, "Publish or Perish" really rings true on all this Global climate change debate. There is money to be made in getting your name out there, good or bad. I ignore anybody that is protesting too much.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 9:40 am 

Coming from a biology background, I know that biological functions of a species poisons the environment for that species. What I do not understand is why that species would be hell bent on pursuing a life style that they know further poisons their environment. Especially when they do not have the data to distinguish between "insignificant" and "too much".

Bill

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 10:07 am 

[/quote]
We've been lucky so far this winter, it's been cold but not much snow. It was quite warm today, only -31C with the windchill....had to back off the heater in my truck and open a window while driving.[/quote]

I can attest to Bill driving like that. If I can,( but not quite in winter weather) would rather have the heat on and the window open.

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 10:36 am 
We are Slotus!

BBlue wrote:
Coming from a biology background, I know that biological functions of a species poisons the environment for that species. What I do not understand is why that species would be hell bent on pursuing a life style that they know further poisons their environment. Especially when they do not have the data to distinguish between "insignificant" and "too much".

Ahhh, so that line from Star Trek, "The carbon units infest V-Ger" is a true statement then, huh? :mrgreen:
I get your point, Bill... But I wonder if the species is actually (paraphrase) 'hell bent on poisoning their environment' or just ignorant that they are? Or making big bucks and don't care if they are? Kinda sad either way.

And the fear-mongers have likely produced a backlash reaction, where Joe Six-pack says, "Awww, Bull Sh*t, I don't believe that!" Can't blame him, sort of, hearing contradictory info from various groups, politicians, etc. Who knows what to believe?

Having said that, I think it can't hurt to limit our carbon footprint where we can. I try, honest I do... All the time I've spent working on the Slotus was time I wasn't out driving around in my F-150 or burning styrofoam or chopping down trees or something...

:cheers:

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 11:04 am 
Toyotaphobe

We hit 55 and had sun all day yesterday when it was supposed to be snowing.

Today is supposed to be sunny and warm and we have snow flurries. I think the weathermen are just fooling with us. I think they sit upstairs on their ivory thrones drinking hot chocolate and laugh like hell after screwing with our heads this way.

I can explain it to you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next