LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 30, 2024, 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 4:34 pm 

so the annual route 66 fun run is on the 1st. to the 3rd. of May,

basically it will be on the saturday 2nd.and will be a cruise from Seligman to Kingman where the cars will park up in the main street after passing under a route 66 banner.

this is all held on public roads but unless you pay an entry fee you can't pass under the banner.

fees, $50.00 pre entry & $55.00 on the day, what you get is a tee shirt, a dash plaque and a number plate and be allowed to pass under the banner on arrival in Kingman.

i will be driving from Seligman to Kingman, but will not be passing under the banner, i will be parking on the main street where all the locals park for free, if i want a tee shirt i will buy one for $20.00 but i don't think i really need another white tee shirt with writing on it.

if i wish to join the "route 66 association" that will cost another $25.00 per year for single membership and gets you nothing in return.

if you want to go to the saturday night dinner, that will cost you $35.00 per person so $70.00 for two.

is this type of cost normal for other areas of the country to show your car to the public who pay nothing to look at it?

$150.00 to enter a car show on a public street, do a fun run on public highways, get a tee shirt and have a dinner for two which will probably be a bar-b-que, oh don't forget the dash plaque, seems to be a bit of a rip off to me but strangely, the entry is always very well supported.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 4:52 pm 

My former boss used to put on the "Vancouver to Whistler All British Run", which is a single day car run from Vancouver to Whistler (as the name implies) along the Sea to Sky route. He charged, from what I recall, $25 per car. There was the typical moaning from various "club" members that they shouldn't have to pay to drive on public roads etc. For the $25 you received an entry placard with a number on it, a dash plaque, plus coffee and doughnut at the start, and parking at the base of the Blackcomb chairlift. While your car was parked it was covered by an insurance policy, the cost of which ate up a large portion of the $25 entry fee, the remainder of the entry fee went to paying for the printing of the placards, the dash plaques, and the coffee & doughnuts. When it was all said and done he pretty much broke even on the event. If there was ever a profit, he typically gave the volunteers who helped direct cars at the start & finish and the people timing the event a portion of the profits to have a night out in the Whistler village. Also, he managed to get a discounted rate for hotels in Whistler, though that may have just been along the lines of a "group buy" scenario.

If you're really upset about the $50 entry fee, ask the organizers where the money is actually going and I'm sure you'll find that most of it doesn't end up in their pockets. But I do agree that the $35 per person dinner is a bit steep provided that drink isn't included. Now a ticket to Pebble Beach on the other hand....

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 6:07 pm 

We have an annual British car show here in the Chicago area. The cost is around 20 bucks. It covers rental of the grounds, insurance and trophies. What everyone gets for their $ is they get to sit in a hot, black parking lot and we get a lapel pin. Period! Tee shirt not included , no expensive dinner, nada!

For comparison, The North American MGA Register's annual national meet, which I have attended in the past, is $60 to register for members and 80 for non-members this year. +10 if you register within 60 days or less. A tee shirt will cost extra. The awards banquet is also at the $36 each mark. So your prices don't seem to be terribly out of line to me.

On the other hand, the Locost Midwest Gathering entry is free. We get to drive around some great scenic roads for 3 or 4 days and meet some great enthusiasts. We pay for our base camp lodging and your meals to the owners of the establishments as we go. The effort to plan and put on one of these is done by willing volunteers who put many hours into planning and running it. It is a huge undertaking ad we are all thankful that they do it. Tee shirts are extra.

My point is, there are all ends of the spectrum for enjoying our hobby. Pick one that suits you and your finances. For myself, I do feel that I could participate in even one of their activities without paying my share. But there is also nothing wrong with being a free spectator if you want to go.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 6:26 pm 

when i first moved to this area, i did the official fun run, that was in 2007, it cost $20.00 for the same as you get now for $55.00, thats 9 years that 175%.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 7:00 pm 
Locostering Legend

I enter very few shows because of similar fees and time consumed.

Carlisle Kit Car Show sounds like a bargain in comparison:
Show Field parking with a club, 3-day entry for 2 people, tow rig/trailer parking, and camping with showers. All for $50.
http://store.carlisleevents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2015%2D702

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 7:18 pm 

I was asked by a Stalker owner -- any Brit shows in the Louisville / Indy / Cincy / Lexington area this summer?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: April 7, 2015, 11:32 pm 

The only car show I've been in was our local Canada day show last year. It was pretty laid back, $10 to enter, no pre-registering, and about 1/2 an hour before the parade started they asked anyone interested to line up for it. There weren't any designated groups or anything, park where you want. We even had an impromptu burnout contest in the street as people were leaving with their cars. I don't remember if I got a T-shirt, but I got a small trophy for best racecar. There were also lots of cool garage related prizes that were donated by businesses. It was a lot of fun and I will go again if I can. I don't know if this is typical or not.
Kristian