LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently June 5, 2020, 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
PostPosted: January 11, 2020, 9:38 am 

I got the lathe tucked into the garage last night. I filled all the oiler pots and vacuumed off the chips, rust, and mouse poop.
It sat in an unheated workshed being ignored for the past 10 years since the user passed away. I bought it from the son (roughly my age) who is slowly liquidating everything since his Mom passed.
There is surface rust everywhere, but since the ways are hardened, I expect it to clean up pretty well. More pics later.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 11:17 am 

I finally got my finger out and built this over the weekend... I present the finger pincher:

There is still some fine tuning to be done on the frame, mostly in regards to upper wheel and anvil alignment, along with polishing the wheels. I did try it out at the end of the day on Sunday and it does stretch aluminium (and pinch fingers).

PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 11:59 am 

@cs3tcr
You should be able to do some serious metalshaping with that wheel. Congratulations.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 4:59 pm 

Nice job Rod! What are you planning to make? It's a wide open field now.

PostPosted: January 14, 2020, 5:30 pm 

Benny,
Honestly, I have no immediate plans for it. I have been toying with the idea of building a locost version of a Cobra Daytona coupe type car, though it wouldn't be V8 powered. I just need to find some time, space, and ambition.

Rod

PostPosted: February 5, 2020, 9:52 pm 

Cruising the net this afternoon burning up brain cells. Ran across this youtube video, thought it might interest some of you.
https://youtu.be/LHiPMLELjUE

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

PostPosted: February 5, 2020, 11:02 pm 

Pretty neat. Thanks Perry!

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 12:46 am 

Sooo, yesterday and today were days that I so call 'passed the torch' to the next generation.
When I was hatched way back in 1959, my dad bought a brand new 45HP Fordson Major diesel tractor. I acquired it when my dad retired from farming in 1988 and used it up until around 7 years ago (I bought a CAT skid steer). I decided to pass the tractor down to my second son, Winston (he's the one who paints my cars).
So yesterday I took the chain saw and removed some poplar trees that encased the tractor.
Attachment:
File comment: Poplar trees growing around tractor
IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6987.JPG [ 206.24 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

One tree decided grow through and around the brake pedal.
Attachment:
File comment: Poplar growing through/around brake pedal 2
IMG_6988.JPG
IMG_6988.JPG [ 159.4 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Poplar growing through/around brake pedal 1
IMG_6989.JPG
IMG_6989.JPG [ 127.44 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]

After removing the mouse nest and battery, installed new battery, unsiezed throttle lever, checked oil and coolant, drained old diesel and poured in fresh diesel, I cranked it over an by golly it fired up. Lots of black smoke til everything loosened up and warmed up, then it smartened up and ran nicely (I was very surprised it did). Then I tried to shut it down. On this tractor there is a cable (like a choke cable) that you pull and it pulls a lever on the injection pump to shut the fuel down to shut the engine down. Well it turns out the injection pump lever was seized up, so thinking ahead I have a 1/2" steel 'runaway plate' to put over the air intake to choke off the engine. Well I tried this and there was enough air leakage through the air filter and connecting piping that it keep on running (on the old diesel tractors turning off the key did not stop the engine as there was no ignition system). So what to do? I could put the tractor in gear and stall it, but thats very hard on the engine. So I grabbed a pair of channel lock pliers and gave the injection pump lever a good tug, by golly it loosened up and moved enough to shut the fuel off :yay:. After that it was a matter of getting it out of the sunken tire holes, driving it up to the shop, topping off the tire pressure, and a general check over.
Today Winston brought a trailer loaded up the tractor, snow blade, bale fork, large bucket, and small bucket. Hope he gets another 30 years out of it before he passes it down to his son.

Here's a vid, don't listen to me saying it's a first start, that's BS, it's the second start, I choked in front of the camera while videoing Winston starting a 61 year old Fordson Major.
I sent this vid to my 92 year old dad, he said it brought back a lot of memories.
https://youtu.be/GzQOGFTqroo

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O.
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build, The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27