LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 16, 2017, 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: July 15, 2016, 4:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Kristian!
The video of your trebuchet wouldn't work... Bummer... Can you re-post, or otherwise fix it?
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 16, 2016, 4:26 pm 

Well let's try this again then. Here's a link, just in case I can't get it to embed properly again.
https://youtu.be/enb-dCMu0Ko

I think that will work.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 16, 2016, 5:22 pm 

Annoying neighbors Christian?

PostPosted: July 16, 2016, 8:11 pm 

Holy crow, did that ever fly! What was the projectile? How much weight is powering the trebuchet?

PostPosted: July 16, 2016, 11:40 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Something I've often wondered about, cause I never got it right as a kid, how do you design projectile carrier the so that the projectile is released in the proper arc and not shot straight into the ground as all mine did?

Mine always whipped around and headed straight into the ground or else stayed in the sling.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 17, 2016, 3:00 am 

The video was of a water balloon about the size of a large grapefruit. The video was slow motion, so there's not as much air time as it looks like, but the gallon went about 60 yards. The counterweight is a bit over 110 lbs. One side of the sling is attached permanently to the throwing arm, and the other is just looped over a nail pounded into the end of the arm and the head is clipped off. The trajectory depends on how long the sling is and the angle of the nail. I was pretty surprised at how well it worked, the first throw was a soccer ball at about 40 yards. A bit of fine tuning gets them out to about 70 now. As for annoying neighbors, I'm probably the annoying one. It's a good thing we're fairly rural out here.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 17, 2016, 7:14 am 

Got back to working on the boat Friday. Got the bellows service done, new horn, new bilge, changed lube in the outdrive, fixed trailer light and a few other minor things. Maiden voyage was Saturday evening. NO real surprises! She floats, and powers up. What more can you ask? o idea as to how fast, the speedo doesn't work..... Still have a few minor things to sort out.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: July 17, 2016, 11:07 am 

@turbo_bird

That is totally wicked, Kristian. You're not going to have the problem of your kids hitting a baseball through someone's living room window. No, it's going to be more like a neighbor complaining to the police, "Hell, they took down the entire south wall of my barn with some kind of contraption they call a siege engine." :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 17, 2016, 10:01 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@turbo_bird

That is totally wicked, Kristian. You're not going to have the problem of your kids hitting a baseball through someone's living room window. No, it's going to be more like a neighbor complaining to the police, "Hell, they took down the entire south wall of my barn with some kind of contraption they call a siege engine." :mrgreen:

Cheers,

I'd have to build one quite a bit bigger to do that, the neighbours are all at least 150 yards away from our house. I'll probably have to keep an eye on the rascals when they get older though.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 8:15 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I'll probably have to keep an eye on the rascals when they get older though.
Yeah, when your spare engine block goes missing and there's this big hole in the neighbors roof... That thing is awesome! I wanna build one now... Not sure what I'd throw at who, but never mind the small details... :mrgreen: Hmmm... The grocery store is about a block and a half from here. Next time I get a bag of "old" oranges... :twisted:

I also wanna say, in all seriousness, that you're doing a great job of parenting, being part of raising those kids. Proud of you. Really.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 10:17 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
I'll probably have to keep an eye on the rascals when they get older though.
Yeah, when your spare engine block goes missing and there's this big hole in the neighbors roof... That thing is awesome! I wanna build one now... Not sure what I'd throw at who, but never mind the small details... :mrgreen: Hmmm... The grocery store is about a block and a half from here. Next time I get a bag of "old" oranges... :twisted:

I also wanna say, in all seriousness, that you're doing a great job of parenting, being part of raising those kids. Proud of you. Really.

JDK

Thanks JD. I'm not sure who's having more fun though, them or me. I figure I should spend as much time with them as I an when I'm home, seeing how I'm gone for two weeks at a time for work. Luckily I'm home for almost two weeks too, so I get to spend lots of time with them then. This set of days off we picked up a couple used Chinese 50 cc kids quads for them. One of them was basically brand new, just been outside for a few years, so I got it running pretty good for them to buzz around the yard with. My daughter is scared of them though, so the other one is stripped down and I'm going to build them a little gokart out of it on my next set of days off. We also dragged home the frame of a shifter kart that my brother built in highschool. The engine and axle are gone, but I'll probably put a Honda 6.5 clone in it for me to buzz around the neighbourhood with them.

I think I probably exceed the gvw on the mini quad, I popped a tire drifting it into my neighbour's driveway.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 11:34 am 

@turbo_bird

Where do you find all that cool stuff, Kristian? Think maybe you and the Mrs. would be interested in adopting an older child - like about my age? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 11:42 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@turbo_bird

Where do you find all that cool stuff, Kristian? Think maybe you and the Mrs. would be interested in adopting an older child - like about my age? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

I don't know about that Lonnie, we've already got one my age, and my wife would probably say that's a handful. You'd be more than welcome to come visit though. The quads I found on Kijiji while looking for any interesting projects. The gokart frame is one my brother built years ago in highschool and it's been sitting in my parents barn for a long time.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 11:06 pm 

They say the 2 happiest days in a person's life is the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it. The boat is officially gone. My son and I spent many good weekends last Summer and Fall working side by side fixing up the boat and enjoying it with the rest of the family. Good Times!

My son, who had it registered and has been keeping it at his place, has been transferred to Alaska. Thanks USCG! This is not an ocean going boat. So it was time to sell. We spent January/February putting a new floor in it. It wasn't a good sell without that being done. It was in great shape for a 28 year old boat! We put it on Facebook and Craigslist on Monday night last week and by Wednesday afternoon it was sold. Yeah, In February, in Michigan! Who'da thunk it? WE both madde a few bucks on the deal. Can't argue with that!

We had it just 8 months. In that time, we took it from a non-running, neglected hulk to a fun, reliable, family sport boat. So here are a few pics used on the adverts.

Attachment:
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG [ 104.02 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5037.JPG [ 125.92 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG [ 87.4 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5043.JPG
IMG_5043.JPG [ 128.09 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 11:49 pm 

Determined that my new $620.00 fixture to use a Speeder head (30K RPM) on my Fadal mill is not worth a dime. :ack:
No way it will work so I'm going to try to return it and make a functional version on my own.
So much for saving time by just paying the price.
I have not cut, drilled, filed or altered it in any way.
I will take some pics to show the vendor how far from functioning it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next