LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 8, 2016, 5:55 pm 

I haven't been able to fly my plane in a number of months and the clock has run down the battery, a common Cessna problem. Can I charge a 24 volt battery by using two 12 volt battery chargers hooked up in series? Any chance of damaging the chargers or the battery doing that?

PostPosted: July 8, 2016, 6:23 pm 

You pose an interesting idea. If you are in a pinch I have a GMC highway coach that has a 24 volt system that could charge your battery up.
Attachment:
8133928[1].jpg

OR they sell these at princess and you have been looking for a new charger anyways.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 8, 2016, 6:34 pm 

Should not be an issue at all. I've boosted 24v equipment with 2 vehicles in series before, no issues.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 9, 2016, 11:16 pm 
The voice of reason

That should be fine, no problem. Always be careful, check the fluids first and don't charge fast after the first couple of hours. It's hard on the battery to run completely dead and be recharged again. You'll also have to check if it holds a charge. Eventually the bottoms of the battery case fills with crap and shorts the plates, then it's no good anymore.

PostPosted: July 9, 2016, 11:53 pm 

Luckily my second battery charger was at the cottage and I didn't get out there this week-end to pick it up so I didn't try to charge the battery using the two chargers hooked up in series method. After doing some more research on this idea and reading this article http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/191348-1.html I decided that I wouldn't risk my $400+ Gill aviation battery to a questionable charging process.

After all, I was just being lazy and trying to avoid having to take the lower cowling off the plane so that I can get the battery out and take it to my AME to be charged correctly. Its not worth risking the battery for 20-25 minutes of work.

Bill

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 3:05 pm 

I read the article you linked to, I didn't realize how fragile aviation batteries are. Probably a good call not to use just any automotive charger. I know the one I have that does 24vhas only one setting for it, and that's about 40A. What would work really well is a charger for RC use. Pretty much all the good ones can do lead acid batteries, and you can control the charge current very accurately, as well as the cut off voltage. Most will also charge a 24v battery when powered by a 12v source like a regular vehicle battery too. Here's a link to a Canadian mail order hobby place that I've dealt with quite a bit, they're pretty good. If you do buy one, check the specs to make sure it will do 24v lead acid first though, a lot of them won't do more than 20v.
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/resu ... srchcat=EB
Kristian