LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I miss simplicity
PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 10:40 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

RichardSIA wrote:
My favorite Falcoln was a 62 Ranchero, "sick six" and three on the tree.
Had it LONG ago in the Kali Bay Area.
It's most novel feature was the ventilated windshield, it came to me with three bullet holes about four inches from the top and three inches apart near the middle.
I put an "I love guns" bumper sticker above the bullet holes.
People would do a massive double take, "How can you love guns, someone tried to shoot you!"
My response, as dead pan as I could manage, "Why do you assume the bullets are from the OUTSIDE?"
I thought some of them were going to faint, most had no response at all, none invited me to their parties. :lol:
And I don't even have a single tattoo.

I love it when there is no downside whatsoever. :cheers:
You'd probably like to watch Top Gear Season 10, episode 4 with the Opel Cadet in Africa.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 12:15 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

carguy123 wrote:
...I get stuck behind a carbed car at a light occassionally and I have to put the car's air on recirculate, to keep from being overwhelmed from the fumes...

Same here. When we're on the freeway, we can always tell when there's a classic car somewhere ahead, sometimes as far ahead as a 1/4 mile. They just reek.

I don't care much for threads like this because they're so subjective - there'll never be agreement. Everyone's definition of "simplicity" is slightly different, plus in the case of a car, tied closely with "reliability." Sure, wiring the Honda K24 to its sensors and ECU was harder than if it was carbureted, but after doing the "been there done that" thing with carbs, I don't miss them. At all.

PostPosted: August 4, 2018, 12:22 pm 

Getting closer to my goal of no computer/EFI cars.
One Miata, everything else on carbs, even when the carbs are Webers.
Suppose I will have to deal with EFI for customers car builds, but I will be charging extra for it!

PostPosted: August 5, 2018, 1:47 pm 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/1964-ford-falcon-convertible/6649398959.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/1961-ford-falcon-ranchero/6650693599.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1966-ford-falcon-ranchero/6620692221.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1961-falcon-2-dr-wagon/6625750279.html

Don't forget the Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant. (even the Dusters and Demons aren't too bad)

PostPosted: August 7, 2018, 6:32 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I don't miss the 20 MPG (best) we got with our '64 Malibu straight six. or the 12-14 MPG that I got on my '64 Ford Galaxy. I don't miss having to replace exhaust systems every 18 months. I certainly don't miss 1,500 mile oil changes (plus grease jobs) or 12,000 mile point service, or adjusting drum brakes and valves every 12,000 miles. I don't miss stopping at the gas station every week to top off the oil and check the fuel level (yeah, I said that right. I don't miss diagnosing bad points on the side of the road. I don't miss diagnosing burned points, or rotors, or distributor caps on the side of the road. I don't miss having the foam carb float sink to the bottom of the bowl and no parts available for at least 6 weeks. Or the tire's tubes developing a leak at the spokes or worse, from the plastic tags inside the tire carcass. And I certainly don't miss the only 2 fuses that my MG had (one was dedicated to the horn). Many of those cars wiring harness failed catastrophically because some circuits were not fused. I don't miss pumping the gas pedal in the winter in order to try and start the engine. And cranking in zero degree weather, only to have the battery give up before that car started. And I don't miss replacing batteries every 3 years.

Chuck, I understand this is the majority opinion, but tinkering with cars is one of the best things in life. If it weren't for my current stock of cars I would miss all of this stuff, which is why I don't own anything newer than '72. Things I don't miss from my new car days are monthly payments, parts you can't disassemble, and smog stations.

PostPosted: August 7, 2018, 10:26 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Chuck, I understand this is the majority opinion, but tinkering with cars is one of the best things in life. If it weren't for my current stock of cars I would miss all of this stuff, which is why I don't own anything newer than '72. Things I don't miss from my new car days are monthly payments, parts you can't disassemble, and smog stations.

Nick, don't get me wrong. I don't mind tinkering with my DD cars anymore, especially the newer ones that tell me what hurts when I ask. I prefer to focus my tinkering in manners that can be performed on my time. That is easier now that I am retired and have free time, and a 2nd car that can be used when the 1st one is out of commission. Back when, I hated having the car break down on the way home from work and having to have it ready for the next day's commute. In the last few years, I have done timing belt changes, head R&R's, K-subframe rebuilds, heater core replacements etc. not to mention the normal tire changes and brake jobs Including rebuild (not replacement) of calipers. I mostly prefer building and restoring over maintenance and repair. That's why I prefer todays reduced "maintenance" vehicles.

I'm looking into engine upgrades for my next project, the MGB-GT, I will be hard pressed to have an engine without OBDII (pre 1996) simply for the diagnostic capability. There will be enough to tinker with. :cheers:

BTW, here in the Midwest, having a car more than 10 years old without being rusted out is practically impossible. It is simply a fact of life here.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 5:44 pm 

I appreciate fuel injection and ABS (although I really don't need ABS), but what I really don't want in a car is:

1-TV screen in the dash
2-Integrated radio/climate controls
3-Push button Start/Stop
4-Rear view cameras
5-Lane departure warning
6-Auto dimming mirrors
7-Rain sensitive wipers
8-Adpater cruise
9-Auto driving anything
10-Automatic climate controls
11-Electric seats
12-Digital gauges
13-Automatic transmission

Bloody hell, you can't even get a new Miata without that god-awful TV screen in the dash.

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 5:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Rear view cameras are mandated by law I think. And they should be. THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 10:08 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

RichardSIA wrote:
...I put an "I love guns" bumper sticker above the bullet holes.
People would do a massive double take, "How can you love guns, someone tried to shoot you!"
My response, as dead pan as I could manage, "Why do you assume the bullets are from the OUTSIDE?"
I thought some of them were going to faint, most had no response at all, none invited me to their parties. :lol:

While we're stereotyping, I picture you in a bunker in the middle of nowhere, stocked with beans, bullets, and guns, awaiting EOTWAWKI so that it's okay to shoot everyone who come onto your property trying to take your carbureted cars. All this while you put the finishing touches on your manifesto. How close am I?

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 3:59 am 

KB58 wrote:
RichardSIA wrote:
...I put an "I love guns" bumper sticker above the bullet holes.

While we're stereotyping, I picture you in a bunker in the middle of nowhere, stocked with beans, bullets, and guns, awaiting EOTWAWKI so that it's okay to shoot everyone who come onto your property trying to take your carbureted cars. All this while you put the finishing touches on your manifesto. How close am I?

You are thinking of the new friend I met tonight (He's already published his book), and a few others I've know for years.
I've a much simpler plan, only a couple of guns, no beans as I'm a carnivore, my new town of Yeringtron is pretty much the middle of nowhere, but a double-wide isn't much of a bunker.
Of course at least one of my rifles has a silencer on it so I can operate quietly if the ever need arises, and food is less of an issue in farm/ranch country. :)
Not far from several military bases so TEOTWAWKI around here is probably a bright flash and I'm a puff of super-heated steam, if I'm lucky.
So I don't do much "Prepper" stuff since I'd rather concentrate on building Weber equipped scoff-law ICE cars.
On a more mundane note I was nearly killed this afternoon in a roll-over wreck.
Would really tick me off to die in a pretty low speed wreck, towing a trailer, when I was not even driving!
Too late to die young and leave a handsome corpse, too soon to go out like James Dean. :P

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 8:48 am 

KB58 wrote:

I'll start out by saying "I am not a prepper. I'm not even sure that I know one" That out of the way, back when I had my MGA, I
Quote:
often
joked that when TEOTWAWKI came and EMP's destroyed all electronics, my MGA would be one of the only cars still drivable. It had only electro-,echanical systems. No semiconductors whatsoever. Even the generator regulator and the fuel pump were still coils and points. :D

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 10:59 am 

Guys, this conversation is really getting weird.

Everyone please make sure they're current on their meds and take a 2 hour nap. Please.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 11:05 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Well the thread was doomed from the start to never reach a conclusion given the subjective topic.

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 11:49 am 
Toyotaphobe

Silencers are they legal?

I'd love to have one on a rifle. That would let me do some pot shots out the back door without disturbing the neighbors too much. I'm in one of those ranchette neighborhoods in the country where everyone has 1-4 acres so no close neighbors and over 2,000 acres behind me with no one.

If they are legal is there a better place than others to get one?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 12:31 pm 

Texas is silencer legal. :D
Machine guns too! :mrgreen:
Shooting out the back door may not be.
Most gun shops now offer silencers.
There is a $200.00 Fed. NFA tax and fairly long wait for the Fed background check.
Silencers work best with sub-sonic ammunition.

My simple "Prepper" philosophy is that so long as I have a good suppressed weapon I would be able to obtain any other weapon I might need. :ack:

Back on topic, last night I drove a diesel powered pick-up for the first time ever.
It was loaned to me and I cannot wait to return it, never to drive another!
It drives like what Ralphie Nader and the eco-nuts want to force us all into if they let us have cars at all.
3,000 RPM red-line, slow shifting, barely does 65 MPH, might as well be a stock model A. :roll:
I may be selling one of my Alfa Romeo's today, the one with SPICA fuel injection.
I will keep the one with much simpler Weber carbs, and hot cams. :D