LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 9:55 am 

After nearly 36 years with the same company, I got the call yesterday that my services are no longer needed. My job is the latest COVID-19 casualty.

A little later my phone started ringing like crazy. Several long time friends and co-workers got the axe yesterday as well.

Now Wifey Dearest and I are contemplating what "next" looks like for us.
Good news is unemployment, then a severance package should come in August, then a fully stocked Dave Ramsey emergency fund mean money worries aren't high on our list of concerns.

In the mean time. If any of you have any needs for small parts build (machined or welded) for your projects hit me up. I have time and resources.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 10:07 am 

Yeah, that sucks. Probably will be joining you soon. Pay was already chopped by a third and the COO has suggested that I get my resume updated. That can not be a good sign!
Thinking about throwing in the towel earlier than I had planned.

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 10:21 am 

Being laid off is not the same thing as choosing to retire by any means but it appears that you were well-positioned for either, both financially and through your projects. Having enough to do, indeed being 'too busy', is the best possible remedy for the change of self-identity that comes with change in employment status. Even with planned retirement it took me several years to truly buy into the concept that I was now in a different category. But a shot at consulting quickly convinced me that retirement was better .... Be well and build those house points!

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 11:16 am 

I am busier now that i am retired, than I was as an employee.

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 12:08 pm 

I am sorry to hear about your termination. You must have expected this might be the case when you temporarily laid off earlier. I am glad to hear that you have done the adult thing and financially prepared for such an occurrence.

In Illinois, we were allowed to collect unemployment at the same time as severance. And don't forget to apply for the $600/week Covid bonus. You might want to look into these in your state.

Quote:
Too much week, not e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ any weekend.

FIFY. You have reached the point where there are no more weekends my friend. Everyday is now the same the other 6 days.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 7:43 pm 

Sorry to hear about that Tommy. I was laid off my last job age 63. Decided to just hang it up. Now my week is 6 Saturdays and a Sunday.

Did some front counter work for a friend in his auto electronics store instead of looking for a real job. Wound up building my car in his shop. What he paid me (bare minimum) paid for the Locost.

You have skills and aren't new to marketing. You will open a new door and you will succeed. It's in your makeup.

Go get em!

PostPosted: May 15, 2020, 11:37 pm 

Geez Tommy I kinda feel like an a$$ having joked about this on you build log.
From what you've posted here it looks like you and yours are set up to enter into the next chapter of your life.
Retired 4 yrs May 1, aaaannnd lovin' it!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 16, 2020, 6:30 am 

Sorry to hear it Tommy. Even if you have financially prepared for it, mentally it requires an adjustment to accept.

My wife is going thru her staff (per request of her new Boss) to select employees to cut to meet financial reduction in budget. She suspects she is on a list to cut as well between Sept and EOY. I retired 3 yrs ago and followed her to Boston for her xfer then. She is (almost) ready to retire she said. This extended period of time in Wisconsin while she "worked from home" has shown that we are ready both mentally and financially.

Thom

PostPosted: May 16, 2020, 10:08 am 

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement guys.
Right now I'm not sure what next looks like. Anne and I are talking about it, praying about it, and being open to what God puts on our hearts.

I finally understand why Dave Ramsey calls his program Financial Peace. I got it in theory before, but right now, it actually makes sense. Being debt free and having an emergency fund are game changers.

Work has offered 30 days of outplacement service from a reputable company. I'll take advantage of that offer, but I want to defer the timing a bit if I can. For the next month or so I want to focus on the 7 and a few simple projects around the house. The additional time also gives the world more chance to see what normal is going to look like. I am having a call with HR on Monday and we'll see if I can hold off on activating the service.

I also plan to re-activate a couple of side hustles from a while back. I used to make a good bit of spare change buying and selling stuff on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.
I may let go of some of my horde that is supposed to be the next 7 project. I probably have between 2 and 3k in bits and bobs I can part with.

Today I'm going to finish my coffee, shop for an external hide drive to back up my computer, then mosey out to the garage.

:cheers:

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 10:15 am 

Hey guys,
After some thought we've decided that at a minimum I'm taking a sabbatical. We've crunched some numbers and we can likely retire.

I'm not really ready to be done, so two things are happening.
1. Locost 7 Builders is going to become a business as well as a hobby. I'm working on a few items to support peoples builds.
More to come on that later as I have to get a couple of agreements signed. But let it suffice for now to say I know a few people with some REALLY cool tools that can aid in laser cut bits and bobs.

2. Going to do some consulting as a side hustle. 36 years I learned a few things and picked up some certifications and unique perspectives.

Stay tuned.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 11:03 am 

Sounds more like career change than retirement!
As far as consulting goes, hopefully you have clients that you can start with. They will be invaluable to help you build out a customer base. When I had my consulting business, it took 2 years before I was making real money but the patience paid off. After our big family issue, I ended up working for one of my clients, which at least for me is much more relaxing...at least it was before the virus has been trying to blow it up ( I really dont want to start looking for another job). I really hated looking for customers as I would rather be doing engineering or managing engineers. The hardest thing about consulting was finding clients then figuring out which jobs to turn down.
Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 11:16 am 

JPS Europa wrote:
Sounds more like career change than retirement!
As far as consulting goes, hopefully you have clients that you can start with. They will be invaluable to help you build out a customer base. When I had my consulting business, it took 2 years before I was making real money but the patience paid off. After our big family issue, I ended up working for one of my clients, which at least for me is much more relaxing...at least it was before the virus has been trying to blow it up ( I really dont want to start looking for another job). I really hated looking for customers as I would rather be doing engineering or managing engineers. The hardest thing about consulting was finding clients then figuring out which jobs to turn down.
Good Luck!!!

I think that a couple of my long time contacts will turn into clients. Client acquisition is by far the worst part of the business. When I was a fishing guide it was maybe the easiest. A bit of internet marketing building off my existing brand and a lot of word of mouth. I was busier than I really cared to be.

We'll see how this plays out.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers