LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 11:38 am 

Chetcpo, you ought to be ashamed!!! Got any extra pictures of the women???? Teehee

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 11:44 am 

Daniel, 22 years old. Currently live in Louisville. Went to School to be an Auto tech but havent been able to find a job in the area since. :( I just got accepted to go back to school for mechanical engineering. Currently im just designing a full bodied mid-engined locost powered by a Turbo Zetec, since im flat broke and wont have any time or place to actually build it while im in school anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 2:34 pm 

Hi, I'm Milo Train. I live in LA and have been thinking about this damn car for seven or eight years now. I was in school for five of those so I have some sort of excuse.

When I am not thinking about, reading about, or drawing, the future locost I am teaching myself to gas weld (I can TIG pretty well, stick decently, and mig nicely but I don't have power or money right now to put into a welder), reading, or shooting a .22LR rifle at paper as far away as I can get without feeling sad about my self.

I work for Universal Studios as their Sound Effects Librarian. I am 27 years old. My daily driver is a Volvo 850 Turbo from '95 with around 230k on the clock (broke at 208k). I like Volvos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 2:44 pm 

I'm Richard.

Sometime this year I'll build a SR20DET powered Locost (more than likely a 442 or 442E). I haven't decided on round or square tube yet.

It'll more than likely be largely 240SX based, since I have easy access to those parts.

I build suspensions for the 240SX and Sentra's, so it's also a comfort level thing.

Currently driving a WD21 (1994 Pathfinder) and a 400whp Sentra (98 SE)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 3:45 pm 

My name is Jonathan Molyneaux

I live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada

I am 19 years young

I am building my 7 from a 5.0L Mustang http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3054

I'm in school to become a Mechanical Engineer

My daily driver is a 1999 Chevrolet Metro

I've built just about everything I can think of. I've build an RC plane, RC boat, a real boat, 7 Go-karts (4 of my own, and 3 to help out friends), a 2 storey shed, a couple decks, 2 trailers etc

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 10:42 pm 

Ok, my turn.

I'm Brian B. and I'm 34 years old living in the racing capital of the world: Indianapolis. I'm married to a wonderfully understanding woman, and I have two kids, my daughter is 2, and my son is 1.
I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, and I've always had a love affair with cars and boats (or anything else with an engine). My dad wasn't very mechanically inclined, but I charish the time we did spend together in the garage. I wanted to start this project so my son and I can build some memories of our own too.

I wouldn't have started this proect without this site: It's GREAT. I'm not a long time lover of the lotus 7, like others here are, It's just a relatively easy car to do the body work for, and there are great sources for parts and resources for information. You can check out my build log here: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4914

Oh, my middle name is Joe, hence the "IndyJoe" and I often like to put some cute little saying in the signature of my posts. Hope it doesn't annoy anyone too much :wink:

Next.....

-Indy "the members of this site are GREAT" Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2008, 10:42 am 

John P.
Working for local government.
Coming soon: +4 Locost
Raced sailboats for 30 years and needed a change. Bought "Maggie", my Miata and there started a new found passion for speed and performance. After finding Keiths link and looking at the Westfield I was hooked. I currently suffer from paralysis thru analysis. My donor car, '94 Miata m, was secured last year. I raced it autocross one year and pieces are starting to come off in preparation for the build. Making room in the garage for the build which I hope to complete within three years.

I live with my dog Sadie and am in a long distance relationship (275 miles) with a wonderful woman who has also been hooked on Miatae and autocross.

When not puttering in the garage I can be found hunting, crabbing, fishing and working on the house that will bring me closer to my sweetie.

850 Volvo, F-250 Diesel, '73 Super Beetle, '02, '94 and '91 Miata's, boats, ATV's, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2008, 12:20 pm 

Dave - 30, three little kids. Building a 4AGE Locost that will be finished eventually. Also have a 62 Beetle. Looks like I'll be getting a Toyota Hilux SURF as well. Computer guy - used to be a programmer now an admin for big Sun systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 4:07 am 

Hi, I'm Joe and I'm an autoholic.

I'm 32 years old, an insulation estimator, single with a girlfriend and located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've narrowed my car addiction down to my daily driver, a 2001 Toyota Tacoma, a very stock 1970 Datsun 510 and a damaged 2004 Honda S2000. The Honda will be the basis for my Locost build. Most of my wrenching has been done on 510's and Fords. My friends and I have built a 1968 Mustang Fastback, a V6 510, a Factory Five Cobra and the list goes on. We've been known to hit the autocross from time to time.

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years and this is my first official post. I've read all the recommended books and I'm starting a welding class in January. Planing on starting the build in earnest this spring. Expect a build log and requests for advice and opinions. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 4:42 am 

welcome to the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 11:57 am 

Hello all, I'm Tom from Phoenix AZ and I've been here for 55 years. My understanding wife of 30 years thinks I'm from Mars or some other far away place.

I build the internet for a living (fiber optics) and have been dreaming of building my own little Locost since I was 54.

I am currently using the SHO V-6 in my Off Road Car, affectionately known as "The Other Woman", so I would like to use that same Yamaha built motor in my build. You can see "her" here: http://www.fiberspec.com/DooleyMotorSports/

I have a great shop here at my house where my collection of toys...er... I mean tools, reside. I've alread made a new welding table out 4x10 quarter inch plate and have placed all my collected parts upon it so that I could sit in the seat and make the prerequisite motor and skidding sounds. I will probably be using 1.5" round mild steel for the main frame tubes and 1" round for the bracing.

That is all.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 12:57 pm 

Hi, I'm Stan and I'm a speedaholic. :D

And I'm another 50-something guy married to the same awesome woman for 30+ years (are we seeing a trend here? :wink: ) She shares my passions and together we run a modestly successful composites shop specializing in motorsports (and we love it when the Swifts and Elans of the world decide to move on to more lucrative work in military aerospace!).

By trade I am a retired USAF pilot with a B.Sc. in Math, and graduate work in aeronautical engineering and applied math courtesy of Uncle Sugar. Being something of a geek has led me to investing lots of money in CAD & CAM, and FEA & CFD software, computers to run them on, and a 4' x 8' CNC router for making patterns.

Somewhere along the line I learned to 'shoot the engineer' and start cutting and welding, as it is all too easy to fall into the 'paralysis of analysis' trap. So far I have built a half-dozen tube-frame race cars (each different), and for a couple of years now have had a hankering to build a 2-seater sports racer/track day/streetable (if only barely) car. Recently finding a complete set of Lotus 23 bodywork molds has accelerated those plans, and now I am evaluating several chassis designs to go with them.

Oh yeah, and when I can afford it I road race in CSR and FA with SCCA with my son, where my cars have won the National Championship Runoffs in FA and CSR in recent years.

Hi Tom! :lol:

Next.

PS - I forgot to mention I live in the foothills about an hour's drive NE of San Francisco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 3:31 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Dauntless wrote:
And I'm another 50-something guy married to the same awesome woman for 30+ years...

Gosh...how many husbands does she have? ;-)

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 3:59 pm 

Your reading miscomprehension...let me show you it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 12:40 am 

Hi, I'm Joe. I enjoy skinny-skiing... Going to bullfights on acid... Oh wait, wrong forum.

I'm a big fan of vintage sports car racing--1950's thru 1960's being my favorite era. I'm 35, married, and have a beautiful 3-month old baby girl.

It all started for me in 1980, when I went to my first race with my father. It was the Monterey Historics and MG was the featured marque. We drove in our black, 1969 MGB. All it took was hearing those engines, smelling the racing fuel, and seeing those lovely beauties for me to be hooked. I've been to every Historics since then...

My plan is to build a Lotus 19. I will be ordering the body in the next couple months from Curtis Unlimited. I hope to design a spaceframe chassis with a lot of help from all of the members on this site. I'm still unsure of what specific engine I will be using (4 or 6 cyl), but it will be from a FWD car, with 180-220 hp.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next