LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: February 4, 2015, 4:11 pm 

Well, either all of you are on the wrong continent, or I am. :)
The name is Johan, and my country is Sweden (slightly larger than California, people density like Colorado).

I decided to join this forum since <PREJUDICE ON>you yanks only use huge V8's and can only turn left<PREJUDICE OFF>, or on a more serious note, have more experience of V8 engined cars. When I was about 15 (10,15.. 20, crap, 25 years ago) I fell in love with the late 50's formula ones/grand prix racers and the early 60's Indy roadsters, and since then I've nurtured a dream of building one. For quite some time I focused on a Locost/sevenish build, probably from a kit and then my brother-in-law started building a Cobra, and following his progress I took the bold (stupid?) decision to go all in and build from scratch, and build what I really wanted.
Said and done, V8 and driveline purchased as well as some other stuff, and a binder full of drawings and sketches... All that's needed now is... a bloody job :P

PostPosted: February 4, 2015, 8:04 pm 

Welcome Axly. You'll find plenty of V8 company here.

A job? Won't that get in the way of your build time? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 1, 2015, 9:19 pm 

Hi, I'm Terry from New Jersey, and I am, as you all suggest to others, in way over my head. I am not an engineer, professional welder nor mechanic. I'm not even an amateur. I do, however, hope to learn a lot and while I have less patience than you all probably do, I am bull headed about completing big objectives, no matter how painful. Luckily, I am in a state with really burdensome titling and registration options to make it all easy :roll:

First things first, I have to get SWMBO on board. She's been great with all kinds of things, from the motorcycles to the side work consulting, but this one looks a little bigger and more ridiculous than the others, so is not yet budging. If that works out, and while thoughts are still crystallizing, the ideas don't alter much from a v6 Midlana build. Why middie? I currently own rear and front engine cars. Figure I'd take a shot at the other option on the table.

Use - Daily driver (replacement for the Ducati) with track day pretentions, so Honda/Toyota V6 here I come!
Mods - full body (Jack is on my to-call list) if I can stand the extra work, maybe with the C1 windscreen if it fits.

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 10:03 am 

Welcome, Terry. You've come to the right place. People here have a "I can do it" attitude like you do. And, it's a place where you can get help in all phases of your Locost project (whatever shape it finally takes) including help with motivation if you get to a low period.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 10:35 am 

Welcome Terry from New Jersey! Getting SWMBO on-board is always important.

IF you haven't done so already, I'd recommend 1st checking with your state requirements for home built vehicles. Different states treat our cars differently, especially when it comes to daily drivers. Emissions and equipment required are often based on how you plan to register and use the vehicle. Usually, cars built under the "Custom Vehicle" loophole are not allowed for daily drivers. Some of us have spent years building our cars only to find in the end that they cannot get it titled/registered in their state at all. They ended up selling their cars to someone else in a different state.

I know this is not the sexy or fun part of the build, but doing your homework now may save you thousands of hours and thousands of dollars later.

If the stars align, you will have a great experience. Keep us posted.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 11:37 am 
The voice of reason

Welcome Terry! Your giving your self a head start by choosing to follow a good set of plans that has a big book to go with it. If you buy the book maybe that will help convince your wife it's doable. Leave the book on your coffee table and after awhile your wife will think building a car is normal! Good luck.

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 6:50 pm 

Thanks guys,

Great suggestions, as is the rule on this forum.
Taking some comments from your replies:
1. I have been in touch with New Jersey DMV. It is possible to get titled as a constructed vehicle, and such a vehicle can indeed end up being a daily driver - at least according to their WRITTEN rules. OTOH, their rules on emissions are clear as mud, and it is equally clear they will fail you for that. My expectation is that I will have to go bone stock with the engine, engine management and emissions. With more than 200whp on tap, that will be way more than enough.

I have heard of someone on the site being unable to title/register in NJ, but could not find the build log to understand the problems. So indeed, more research is required. I will be seriously annoyed if I build it and then have to send it to my brother in Ohio.

2. The Midlana book (also Ron's book and Sainforth's) has been sitting out for months. I suspect she is nearly resigned to it, and will eventually prove supportive, but not quite yet. BTW, Midlana is a tour de force book. I recommend it even if you are building a book chassis and have uncle Ron's or other locost bible. GREAT depth, terrific dialogs, and importantly, Kurt's opinions, which give you the why of his choices. Understanding the thought process is SO important if you start thinking about other approaches.

Thanks guys for the welcome!

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 8:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I am not an engineer, professional welder nor mechanic.

Makes you a perfect candidate for building a locost. Also makes you sound like a helluva good guy...
Welcome to the gang, Terry!
:cheers:
JD "I ain't none of them things neither!" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 2, 2015, 11:34 pm 

Omterry wrote:
I am not an engineer, professional welder nor mechanic.

BUT! Have you ever played one on TV OR Stayed at a Holiday Inn?

Welcome anyway.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 3:49 pm 

Hey everyone!

My names Josiah, I live in Winnipeg Canada. Im 20 years old. My day job as of now is a general contractor, currently specializing in interior renovations, decks, screen rooms, fences, and my favourite timber framing.

Current vehicles are a 1990 Mazda Miata turbo making 175whp and 172 wtq, a 1991 Nissan Skyline GTR making an estimated 350whp on 13.5 psi of boost, and my winter beater/work vehicle is a 1990 Jeep Cherokee.

Im Currently in the planning and tool acquiring stage for a miata based build. My plan as of now is a book style build with the haynes miata rear end (I believe thats the correct one may be wrong). The car will use a 1.6l miata motor with a 1.8 torsen2 rear differential. Im also planing on turbo charging it, shooting for a power output of between 175-200whp and 170-190wtq. Overall weight goal will be between 1200-1300lbs without driver, should be a fun car! Hoping to start my actual build this time next year.

PostPosted: April 3, 2015, 9:28 pm 

Thanks JD. That will make my mistakes interesting. We can compare, but I note how far behind I am, since yours are drivable!

Tom, I have stayed in a Holiday Inn! Maybe that means I have a chance.

T

PostPosted: December 11, 2015, 7:35 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm Andrew from Cleveland and did not search long enough for the intro thread and posted first in the Racing section - sorry about that.

I'm 25, live in Cleveland with my wife and pup and am an avid lover of cars (and motorcycles, and trucks, and boats, etc.). I've always enjoye home-built machines and have been following, for quite some time, the MG a fellow member is working on.

As I said in my racing post, I'm fully invested in the restoration of an Austin Healey 3000 right now that I plan on racing. That being said, I am not in position to build a Locost right now, but I'm considering buying a completed car. I have, however, developed my dream Locost that I very much plan to make happen at some point - A mid-engine, BMW M30-powered Locost. I've been sketching it up for years so eventually it will come about but it'll have to wait it's turn.

Anyways, I love the ingenuity that all of you guys use in your builds and I look forward to learning more and hopefully meeting some of you at the track and other events.

Cheers!

PostPosted: December 22, 2015, 12:24 pm 

I too, missed the intro thread. Oops!

Sup homies!

I'm Tucker, 26 years old, born and raised in the second most communist state in the country. my Wife and I currently live just north of Hartford. When I'm not hanging out with our greyhound/ pit mix, or enjoying time with our 6 month old daughter (and sometimes the wife), I like to do stupid things in the garage. make furniture, put motors where they aren't supposed to be, forced induction through the hood etc.

I already started a build thread because I didn't pay attention well enough (I know, I know.. even though its free) And plan on seeing it through to the end. I'm many things, and stubborn is certainly one of them. I tend to hang onto ideas like a rabid raccoon on a stinky pile of meat. I'm also not that great at metaphors.

So, cheers! :cheers:

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: December 22, 2015, 4:07 pm 

AxeHealey wrote:
I'm Andrew from Cleveland and did not search long enough for the intro thread and posted first in the Racing section - sorry about that.
1055 wrote:
I too, missed the intro thread. Oops!

That does it...I'm sorry, but we now have no choice but to ban both both of you rebels. :wink:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: December 24, 2015, 9:05 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I tend to hang onto ideas like a rabid raccoon on a stinky pile of meat. I'm also not that great at metaphors.
While that's a good quality for a car builder, I have to agree on the metaphor part... :mrgreen:
Welcome to the forum!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next