LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rumbles Extreme Build
PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 2:33 pm 

I've been lurking around this BEC forum for quite some time, and am now considering a BEC build myself. I must say I'm quite impressed with the creativity, engineering, and craftsmanship I've seen on the individual threads!

I first became intrigued with BECs in November 1970 when the "Box" was featured on the front cover of Popular Science magazine. It was powered by a Kawasaki 500cc 2 cycle 3 cylinder motor mounted in a monocoque chassis. The chassis was built using a composite sandwich of balsa wood and fiberglass. It was the coolest thing this adolescent kid had ever seen. It must have been deafening loud to sit inside the Box with a screaming Kawasaki 3 cylinder motor! BTW, the Box floats as well.

The full Popular Science article is attached below.

I've drawn many BECs trying to come up with a plan to go forward with. I'm down to 3 designs now:
    - 700cc ATV with a modified/stretched chassis - It would be a MicroCar size and carry just the 1 passenger (the driver)
    - 1000cc motor with Miata suspension - To save weight, it would have a simple chain drive to just 1 rear wheel
    - 1300cc motor with Quaife transaxle and suspension from F1000 race car

Any thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 3:25 pm 

Interesting. What is the intended use for the car?

I'd suggest keeping it simple and RWD with a diff (preferably LSD), and a good firewall/chain barrier. I'd also junk the rear-steer aspect.

If intending for street use, you may want to visualize it will all the bits you'll need for it to be legal. It may kill the look you want if it needs fenders and big lights etc.

Cheers.

PostPosted: April 22, 2016, 6:23 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

My thoughts are, whatever you decide to build, we will be happy to see it and help if you want; even if you think outside the box.
:cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 1:27 pm 

Welcome Rumbles :cheers:

For what it's worth, I have a bit of experience with chain drive cars, and unfortunately, it's not good. I spent some time with Bike-powered minibuggys (off road), and if you'll pardon the pun, the weak link is the chain, or more specifically, keeping the chain cool, and having it live and stay in adjustment..

Many, many of the minibuggy guys suffer the same fate.. you might browse around over at minibuggy.net before you commit one way or another.. It's not that it can't be done, but making chain drive low maintenance and reliable in a car is a bit elusive..

A few years ago I promised myself no more chain drive cars.. (notice I didn't say no more bike powered cars though :wink: )..

Whatever you do, this looks unique and interesting.. please keep us updated with lots of pictures!

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: August 16, 2016, 10:41 am 

I've been trying to find reasonably priced copies of the "Build your Own Sports Car" by Chris Gibbs and Ron Champion's "Build Your Own Sports Car for as Little as £250"

Image Image

I was able to download a soft version of both books that can be read on a PC, tablet, or Kindle.

Just go to https://www.scribd.com and get a 1 day unlimited membership for $8.99. Then download PDFs of both books. There are lots of other good books on chassis design, composite techniques, suspension design, finite element analysis, etc. I downloaded a bunch of other books as well.

Unfortunately, they don't have Keith Tanner's "How to Build a Cheap Sports Car"

PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 9:05 pm 

Its official...I have begun my own Locost build! When I say "its official", I mean that I'm now committed, have an initial design, and have started buying the components.

• It will be built using many of the techniques I've learned on this Locost forum, as well as the many "Build a Sports Car Cheap" books (I read them all).
  • It will be about the size of a coffin.
  • It will be powered by a motorcycle style engine (kinda)
  • It will weigh more than a ATV, but less than a Harley Davidson
  • The body will take styling inspiration from the Mezzerschmitt TG500, Rat Rod VW, quarter midget racer, the Indy STP turbine car, and the wind scarf of a World War One fighter pilot.
  • It will be stupid fun!

I have been lurking around this forum for a while trying to absorb all the knowledge / techniques you share with each other. I also look to the past to understand the design aspects of bike engined cars that were successful and those aspects that just didn't work. Finally, I look to the present for proven car building techniques, as well as high tech aircraft approaches that are now becoming practical for the hobbyist car builder.

A little about me

I'm a shade tree mechanic from way back. It all started with muscle cars in high school and now my more recent efforts have been building a couple kit cars. The kit cars taught me building techniques that I hope to use in this project.

Ever since I was a pimple faced adolescent boy, I always wanted to do a blank sheet design for a light weight car and then build it for street use. Now is that time!

Below are my last 2 car builds.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 9:21 pm 

Welcome to the insanity. I've got a couple of BEC builds under my belt. First was an R1 powered 7 that was a stalled project I picked up and finished. Current is an A Mod racer that was 2 stroke with CVT that I'm converting to Honda CBR 600rr.

Plenty of fun and challenging days ahead.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 6:22 pm 

Ah! I had that issue of Popular Science once, and remembered the article. But I kept confusing it with "Brubaker Box", which is an entirely different vehicle.

While there's a picture of a presumably-finished vehicle, I note there are no provisions for windshield wipers, headlights or turn signals. You'd need a sunroof or view port to see red lights. The upside-down coilover shocks mount to the body. How does air get to the air-cooled engine? And then there are the differentials, which are a hassle on a BEC now; back then, you were talking custom everything. The super-long A-arms would be complex weldments. Sharing one brake across both wheels via the differential is... questionable. And with no center differential, the long drive belt would be loaded turning turning. And that would be a custom belt; a friend with an off-brand 6-71 kit found out that, yes, Gates will make a replacement belt, the raw bands are 36" wide, so he would need to buy ten belts for about a thousand bucks.

I'd bet that the innards of the picture vehicle are nothing like the PS artist's drawing...

Still, it's an interesting design, and it wouldn't take too much to make it buildable Locost-style. A conventional A-arm or strut suspension would simplify a lot, and staying RWD, and a bulkhead between the engine compartment and passenger compartment. And I'd make the whole top of the passenger compartment swing up for easier access. Or leave the roof whole, then cut big doors (sliding doors would be way cool) in the sides for access.

For most areas, you'd want some kind of ventilation and/or AC. That big window would be a solar cooker in bright sunlight.

Mostly, I'm confused about what the original car was *for*. It's obviously not street legal, it's not a racer, I have my doubts as to its use as a dune buggy...