LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 23, 2017, 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 10:31 pm 

Sure you can. No builder has ever taken on a project like this before. That is, up until their first. You sound like you have what it takes. Not time like the present! :cheers: For the welding skiils, practice, practice, practice. It won't take long to get the feel with any reasonable MIG welder. Definitely use Co2 mix gas. Skip right over the flux core wire. For design issues, there is lots of good people here to help. When you make mistakes, and there will be plenty, it is only steel, cut it out and do it over.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: June 22, 2017, 3:24 pm 

I have been researching a Harley powered car for many years. Why a Harley? For the thump of it! Just a cool motor, and an alternative to a bike. Biggest issue I have found is the connection to the weak Harley bottom end. I am thinking front drive Subaru arrangement, kind of a 4 wheel Morgan look. Pembleton anyone?

I have seen discussions on a "cush joint" to connect the engine and trans, but flywheel still needs to be supported seperate from the engine. Not sure a greased flange bearing would hold up to 5-6000 rpm. Maybe a wet lubed bearing set up? I need to buy a twin cam B and a Suby trans and see what developes.

Anybody really stuck a HD to a car trans and not blown out the bottom end?

PostPosted: July 19, 2017, 11:32 am 

If you want to consider a Moto Guzzi engine, or would be willing to sort out a similar adaptation of a HD or S&S engine to a VW transaxle, you could have front wheel drive and a reverse gear that way. http://www.blackjackzero.com/pages/blackjack_zero.html

Another approach would be to mount a HD engine with its crankshaft longitudinal, run a belt to an off-center Baker transmission (mount the battery opposite the transmission to balance the weight a bit), then another belt back on-center to the pinion of one of these http://eliteracingtransmissions.com/cat ... /mx200-il/ This way you would have a sequential transmission with 5 or 6 speeds, a reverse gear, and drop/quick-change gearing, and front wheel drive. For rear wheel drive mount the MX200 in the rear and run a driveshaft that is driven by the belt that comes from the Baker output shaft. This way you won't have all the hassles of trying to adapt the HD engine to an automotive transmission.

To make this enough fun to drive I wouldn't want the curb weight to be much above 1000 pounds.

Dean