LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: April 3, 2014, 11:56 pm 

Thanks cc! I have enjoyed you clown car, especially the custom graphics by your girls! I,ve been recovering from some medical stuff, and living in an apartment- so scheming and dreaming while I have lurked here abouts for the last two years! :mrgreen: I have also followed the Nash- all the way to the point where he put it on the "shelf"-Sheesh! What a tease! But life and other hankerings do get in the way. You have been one of my check every visit, along with JDK (I know, I'm a sucker for a fellow "good ole boy"), airframefixer, MYTF and several others. All of you have made my convalescence much more fun! Unfortunately, I have another round this summer with the "masked man" in the green scrubs this summer, and have contracted another infection; LC7! I have assembled a few street rods in the past, and even made a living wrenching on some of the first 240Zs and Fiat 124s in the US; what you and the rest do is way beyond that- but I'm hooked, and want to "do this thing"!
:cheers: Chris :cheers:

PostPosted: April 4, 2014, 11:12 am 

You have my sympathies Chris.. Not to overstate it, but I know when I'm sick/injured I feel like a prisoner; can't get out and do the stuff I want/need to do!?!?!?! (I'm a bit of a whiny baby when I'm down :roll: )

You sound like your outlook/attitude is much better, AND you're putting your free time to good use with all of this "research." :wink:

Once you get the medical stuff behind you, start a build log and let us know what (and how!) you're doing ..

-ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: April 4, 2014, 12:22 pm 

HarryB wrote:
Talking V4's, has anyone ever considered the Yamaha VMax engine? 1700cc, 200hp and about 200lbs (from what I was bale to find over the Internet, but not confirmed). Besides the Yamaha, there's also the Honda ST1300 V4, but much lower HP rating (around 115) and the weight is almost equal to the VMax (around 90kg). Both come with a built-in gerabox and a shaft drive, that combined with a front 4x4 axle on the rear makes for an easy locost installation, although the Honda seems unnecessarily high engine. Any info on those being used in Locosts before?

From what I've heard, Del Long built one a long time ago. Sounded like it had quite a bit of power, was pretty light.

--JOsh

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 8:16 pm 

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Honda ST-1100,1300 engine. They can be had for reasonable money and they seem to last forever. I have a '92 that has over 120,000 miles on it.

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 10:27 pm 

So, is baffling a good option for the Hayabusa too then? I consider myself to be a Yamaha guy (86, FJ1200, 05FZ1 and YZ125 in the garage now) but like the idea of starting with as much work as possible already done. Hayabusas have been around for years, have a great history and, (according to Guy Martin.. who probably knows better than me) have larger main journals, making them more durable for further mods. That, and my FZ just doesn't PULL from the bottom like the FJ so, I am thinking no replacement for displacement.... as long as I'm not burning engines up every other weekend.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 11:18 am 

Boy, the VFR1200 seems damn near perfect for a BEC unless you're going for max power. It's good for 170HP/95 tq, it's shaft drive, with the motor offset to the right (perfect for middie application), and there's the gearbox, which, as noted previously has a dual clutch with full-auto mode (for around town) as well as a mode that allows upshifts without lifting and seamless downshifts - no rev matching. What's not to like? Here are my concerns-

Price: this is pretty new technology, and there mightn't be too many wrecked ones out there.
Double-clutch: will it handle the weight of a BEC without burning up. Might be hard to retrofit with stiffer springs
Weight: All this whiz-bang technology has to add weight
Electronics: How hard is it to synch with a cars needs?

But damn. Take one of these, run it through a guibo to a Cadillac diff (3.1 final ratio w/ LSD) and it sure sounds perfect.....

OK folks, tell me why I need to wake up.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 12:25 pm 

Upside down diff to get the rotation correct, add some weight back in for the oil pump to keep the bearings lubed.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 6:58 pm 

oldejack wrote:
Upside down diff to get the rotation correct, add some weight back in for the oil pump to keep the bearings lubed.

Skip that and throw a reverse box in line, mounted backwards. Kill two birds with one stone.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 7:20 pm 

reverse box is more cost, drag, and will lengthen the entire assembly. I'm inclined to go the starter-motor route.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 8:51 pm 

kreb wrote:
reverse box is more cost, drag, and will lengthen the entire assembly. I'm inclined to go the starter-motor route.

Jerminator is referring to the fact that shaft drive bikes rotate their shafts the wrong way for use with an automobile rear end. Using a reversing box would allow you to drive forwards in the "reverse" gear and reverse with the "forward" gear.

You could, of course, use an electric motor for reverse with an upside-down rear end with an electric oil pump as oldejack suggested. But the reversing box is, in this case, an elegant solution.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 11:20 pm 

gregk wrote:
Jerminator is referring to the fact that shaft drive bikes rotate their shafts the wrong way for use with an automobile rear end. Using a reversing box would allow you to drive forwards in the "reverse" gear and reverse with the "forward" gear.

You could, of course, use an electric motor for reverse with an upside-down rear end with an electric oil pump as oldejack suggested. But the reversing box is, in this case, an elegant solution.

Precisely. I also had envisioned a front engine "grand-touring" BEC since you have a decently torquey engine that's already not terribly lightweight.

If you wanted to go mid engine a flipped diff would probably be best, though that is not the route I chose.

PostPosted: May 29, 2015, 11:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It was my understanding that not all bike engines rotated the output shaft the wrong way. Those that come out the right side of the bike diff were supposed to be rotating the proper way for cars - or at least that's what I heard.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 30, 2015, 1:48 am 

For shaft drive engines I'm curious about the older Concours 1400. Donors are way cheaper than a ZX1400 and OEM parts juggling gives you the power ratings of the ZX.
Much deeper first, a wider gap between the gears than a ZX, only a tiny bit lower ratio in 6th than the ZX.
I worked it out once with ~25" tires and a 3.08 diff, first took you to about 45 and 6th took you to about 145.

PostPosted: May 30, 2015, 2:19 am 

carguy123 wrote:
It was my understanding that not all bike engines rotated the output shaft the wrong way. Those that come out the right side of the bike diff were supposed to be rotating the proper way for cars - or at least that's what I heard.

You are correct. I tend to forget about the few bikes with right hand shaft drives because I find them all fairly uninteresting, but Goldwings, ST1300s, shaft drive "R" BMWs and Moto Guzzis, and maybe a few others spin their driveshafts the "right" way.

PostPosted: May 30, 2015, 6:39 am 
Toyotaphobe

gregk wrote:
carguy123 wrote:

You are correct. I tend to forget about the few bikes with right hand shaft drives because I find them all fairly uninteresting, but Goldwings, ST1300s, shaft drive "R" BMWs and Moto Guzzis, and maybe a few others spin their driveshafts the "right" way.

Woo Hoo! It's a red letter day!! I can't say that I've ever been right before, especially if you'll ask the wife or kids.

I'm going to mark this on my calendar and celebrate it every year.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next