LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 1, 2024, 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 8:34 am 

I'm going to set-up a megasquirt on my '02 R1,not a lot of info around that I can find.If anyone has done it or knows of any info that would be great.

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 9:31 am 

L8 apexr, what are you hoping to gain swapping to a Megasquirt? I love the Megasquirt setup I run one on a turbo Miata. But I don't see a big gain on a already injected bike engine with a Power Commander or similar box.

Graham

PostPosted: March 13, 2011, 2:07 pm 

I hope to cure the shitty running factory fuel injection,something went haywire after its initial start-up in the car and I can't find the cause.The power commander isn't going to be as tunable(had one and sold it) as the MS and there's boost in this engines future.
The wiring harness will be less than half of the mess thats currently there to boot,lots of good reasons to ditch the stock stuff.

PostPosted: March 15, 2011, 6:18 pm 

I too will be running megasquirt on my '03 R1 engine. I've looked around quite a few times and found very little on the internet about running megasquirt on an R1. I've seen a video (in a different language) on youtube of some guys that got it working. Other than that, information is very scarce about the topic and I highly doubt you'll find any files to run. Please let me know if you do find anything though or how things go on your install/tuning.

PostPosted: March 15, 2011, 6:50 pm 
Always Moore!

What kind of files are you looking for? The MS boards seem to have a ton of information regarding set up and tuning. If you want a .msq file to modify, someone over there might be willing to share. OTOH it will probably still require tweaking so starting from scratch may not be much more work.

I don't have a ton of MS experience but setting up the MS3 on Tuner Studio was pretty easy and straight forward. The program walks you through making the project file.

I haven't put it in the car yet so I cannot comment on tuning but if you have an O2 sensor hooked up, I believe the ECU can develop a fuel map from the sensor then you can go back later and add corrections and tweak the map.

I would first start by seeing if the R1 coils are CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) or high current coils. If they are high current, you are fine - if they are CDI it is my understanding you will need an external igniter to ignite them or you will want to find high current coils from another bike.

PostPosted: March 16, 2011, 6:16 pm 

I have buddies that are into the MS thing,they've been over and done the checks to determine the igntion pickup type,injector impedance and the coil type.Its doable no problem,I was just hoping to find someone thats done it to help shorten the set-up time.I' searched the ms boards before posting here,there's next to nothing on their forum for my engine.

There's a youtube vid of a turbo R1 running on ms that looked to be in the tuning stages.

PostPosted: March 18, 2011, 10:59 am 

I deal with a local shop that builds turbo bikes, they have built 100's. They tried using various Megasquirts and gave up on them all. There first level is the stock computer and a version of a Power Commander that is modified to input manifold pressure rather than throttle position. Next is the higher end DFI, Motec type boxes. There feeling with the Megasquirts was it was inaccurate, too slow and had poor electronic boost control. A turbo bike engine hits so hard and revs so fast there feeling was the Megasquirt was always running behind reality. It depends on your goals, maybe it will be 100% effective for you. But I am sure it will be fun, I love playing with stuff like that. I have a Megasquirt running a turbo Miata, and with a lot of effort I have got it to run real well.

Graham

PostPosted: March 19, 2011, 1:01 am 

Thats not encouraging info Graham,mines been ordered so no turning back I guess.It'll stay NA for at least this summer so maybe it'll be ok.

PostPosted: March 20, 2011, 11:01 am 

L8 apexr, You will have a ton of fun, and you will learn an amazing amount. You will really start to understand what you and your motor want/needs. As long as you stay on the conservative side the Megasquirt will work fine, it only when you try to keep pushing closer to the edge it will show it's limitations.

Graham

PostPosted: March 20, 2011, 10:07 pm 

Thanks Graham,I intend to focus most of my effort this summer on getting the chassis sorted to be able use more power later-hope I don't spend too much of it just getting it to run. :)

PostPosted: April 18, 2012, 10:32 pm 

L8 apexr wrote:
Thanks Graham,I intend to focus most of my effort this summer on getting the chassis sorted to be able use more power later-hope I don't spend too much of it just getting it to run. :)

I know this thread is old, but have you made any progress with MS on your R1? I recently built an MSII controller for my '03 R1. I'm hoping to get my engine running with it this summer when I get back to Georgia (where my project is).

Hopefully you haven't given up on going with MS for your engine. If you have any progress to report please let me know. I will keep you and anyone else interested up to date with my efforts...

PostPosted: April 21, 2012, 4:45 pm 

The engine ran well all last summer and then I took the engine and ecu out and installed it into my awd mid engined geo metro ice racer where it also ran like a top all season,started reasonably well way way below freezing so that was good.
The engine and wiring is now out of the geo and will be going back in the open wheel car for the autox season,probably have it back in tomorrow.I don't have any dyno's close to me but hopefully we can find one so I can try and find a little more power-not that its really lacking or anything.

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 2:05 pm 

Zombie thread!

Thinking of going the MS route on my '02 engine, either of you have files to share that are ballpark close to get an engine running?

--JOsh

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 4:47 pm 

I can see if my buddy still has the tune on his laptop,the open wheeler is sold and the geo is now powered by a carbed R1-didn't want to go thru the MS install again as it was a pita.

Pm me an email address and I'll see what I can dig up.