LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wing power Locost?
PostPosted: January 9, 2015, 8:48 pm 

Whats anyone think about a Honda Goldwing powerplant. Ive been kicking the idea around. !500 cc,100ish hp.,and a little over ft. of torque. The driveshaft is in the center of opposed six cyl. Sequential tranny,and reverse. Not to mention those chrome valve cover showing a Locosts side panels would look pretty cool. Anyone have any ideas how it might work?

Post subject: Re: Wing power Locost?
PostPosted: January 10, 2015, 12:16 am 
Toyotaphobe

I personally like the idea, but beyond a little research a couple of years ago I never did anything with it. Probably the biggest issue I saw was that everything I could find was carbed and I absolutely refuse to ever look a carb in the eye again.

The engine has a very usable power band, almost car like and you know the drivetrain is strong enough because they drive some crazy heavy bikes once you get all the stuff on them.

IIRC the driveshaft turns the proper way for a car diff.

Also while it has a reverse I think the reverse is starter powered.

It would have a slightly lower CG than the typical bike engine, but even tho it's a boxer design the pipes exit the bottom which means you can't get the engine too low or you won't keep an exhaust very long so that's the compromise.

Unfortunately there never are very many of them out there.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 10, 2015, 7:13 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Jason,

if you plan to get it titled and tagged, then operate in an emission testing area, a bike engine in a 4 wheeled vehicle may not be allowed.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 11:17 am 

we have done some builds with the Goldwing motors .
the drive shaft is not centered it's off set to the right side it's not a problem in a front engine rear drive car but it was a problem to a small degree for the mid engine cars we installed them in .

the reverse is kind of slow and useless !
to get around the drive shaft needing to rotate in the other direction to spin the rear ends we built a simple one to one gear to gear setup and with this it does move the drive shaft to center .
we also use the gear to gear for the rocket 3 motors we have done . IMO I like the rocket motor better . being the girth of the Goldwing motor is so big on some of the installs it was hard to set it real low in the chassis . the rocket motor having a smaller girth we can drop them in the chassis lower so CG is about the same between the two .

with the wing motor if your thinking of tracking the car you will want to add a oil cooler and a moroso 1.5 QT accumulator .

when we buy donors we get them from salvage yards that sell to junk/bone yards . some salvage yards you need to have a repair or dealer license but there are still many you don't and can place a bid on line .
we buy salvage because you will get every part you would need the other is cost . most every privet seller wants 2 to 3 times more then buying from a salvage yard . we then sell off the unused part we don't need to save even more money .
we just got a 2008 hayabusa delivered on Friday we got from a salvage yard . the total cost with the shipping from Arizona to CT was 621.38 dollars . the forks and frame have damage so it was totaled but we did ride it around the parking lot (slowly) and it runs great . we will sell off the things we don't need so the total cost will go down a little more for us .