LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chain drive diff help
PostPosted: December 12, 2016, 4:17 am 

Hey guys new to the forums but been reading up on all the chain drive diff topics i culd find and need some help figuring out what to use for a project im working on. Any how ive got a carter brothers gtr 250 dune buggy with IRS and parts are almost non existent now days and the rear end is 65 inches wide and consists of a chain drive spool with an extremely weak center shaft that cant be found period anymore and weak cv axles that are 300 apiece. The only way to get the center shaft is in a 1200+ dollar upgrade kit.

So the plan is to replace the 250cc motor with a 78 400cc hondamatic twin and replace the spool with a limited slip diff. I mainly need help figuring out what the best donor vehicle for diff and axles would be whether its a small car or front diff from an atv. Pre made kits are wayyyyyyyyyy to expensive. Also sorta unsure on hub situation. Ill just give a few measurements....

Spool hanger width...unknown atm
CV axles i believe 23 inch fully compressed
Hub spline count 24

If you google carter gtr 250 you will be able to get an ideal of what im working with. Im posting from an Xbox 1 so im unable to copy/paste links and unable to post pictures (can see pics) nor can i download files or open any pdfs etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if any measurements or anything is needed just let me know.

PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 1:35 am 

It looks like a Berkeley chain drive dif would serve. You could build one . Basically 2 axle halves with long gears meshing with each other on opposing sides of the axle half gears. They mesh with each other and one meshes with one axle half and the other with the opposite one. The 2 discs containing the gears and sprocket are suspended on a mount bracket and are connected with a ring to contain the oil. Yes, a differential with straight cut gears. LOL

PostPosted: October 6, 2017, 10:12 pm 

Winters makes a quick change rear end for dwarf, legends and modifieds. Old school, if you can find one, is an 80's vintage toyota corolla rear end. A locked spool is available online. Check out dwarfcarracing.com and find several suppliers of steel and aluminum spools.