LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: torque steer?
PostPosted: May 4, 2017, 7:19 pm 

So if one were to mount a bike motor transversely with a direct (guibo) connection to the rear axle, on most bikes one would end up with a left weight bias - not so great on a left-driver car. So what if you were to shift the entire thing over a bit to compensate? You'd end up with unequal half-shafts, which I understand isn't so hot - particularly in front-engined situations. Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience that can be brought to bear here? Is it a big no-no, or not really a thing in RWD applications?

On a related note, does anyone make a rear axle without a really long nose cone? What can be done to get the motor close to the axle without using a chain?

Post subject: Re: torque steer?
PostPosted: May 5, 2017, 10:21 pm 

kreb wrote:
So if one were to mount a bike motor transversely with a direct (guibo) connection to the rear axle, on most bikes one would end up with a left weight bias - not so great on a left-driver car. So what if you were to shift the entire thing over a bit to compensate? You'd end up with unequal half-shafts, which I understand isn't so hot - particularly in front-engined situations. Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience that can be brought to bear here? Is it a big no-no, or not really a thing in RWD applications?

On a related note, does anyone make a rear axle without a really long nose cone? What can be done to get the motor close to the axle without using a chain?

The FWD torque steer does not apply to RWD applications unless your toe-control in the rear is deflecting (which it certainly shouldn't). What does apply is axle-torsion and it's effects. Basically axles twist when loaded, and different length axles would need their thicknesses adjusted so that they twist the same amount. Also, I *think* Torsen diffs hate unequal torsion.

Pretty sure the FSAE guys have dealt with this. Maybe peruse their forums about it.

The smart-ass in me says that BEC have no torque so can't twist anything enough to worry about....... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 7:11 am 

I've looked at suburu diffs that had a long housing nose leading up to the flange. Vinny

PostPosted: May 11, 2017, 11:28 am 

To the best of my (limited) knowledge, while less than ideal, it's not really a major problem either. Especially when you're not talking about crazy inputs. Alternatively, you can run equal length short axles, and a jack-shaft to equalize the axle pickups...Something sort of like this.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie