LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 3:28 pm 

Hit a bit of a snag and am hoping I can get some advice. I bought a driveshaft adapter from D&R chassis, then sent the attached drawing to a driveshaft builder (along with the rest of the necessary measurements). The builder says they don't have anything that looks like it will mount up to the adapter, and asked if D&R chassis has a recommended yoke. Amazingly, when asked, all I got back was "Sorry we do not know". Any help would be appreciated. At this point I would not be above machining my own 'adapter adapter' to get me to a more common bolt pattern...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 4:00 pm 

Think I may have an answer now, so I will post it here in case anyone else runs into the same issue. This style of adapter is meant for dwarf cars, and from what I can tell the standard driveshaft usually uses a Dana Spicer 10-2-29 style flange yoke. I have verified the BCD and pilot diameter from a catalog, but can't verify the rectangular bolt pattern just yet. Might see if I can get my hands on one locally to see how it mates up.

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 4:21 pm 

If you convert metric to to inches it comes out really close within thousands to a Neapco N2-2-899-1, or a N2-2-899 I believe that this flange fits the toyota rear axles the dwarf cars run.
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/NEA-N2-2-899-1.html

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 7:00 pm 

Ah, excellent, thanks very much! I will see if I can get my hands on both. I really wish they would put the bolt-bolt measurements on the specs.

PostPosted: April 29, 2018, 7:28 am 

ZiG wrote:
Ah, excellent, thanks very much! I will see if I can get my hands on both. I really wish they would put the bolt-bolt measurements on the specs.

The link for the Neapco above has the bolt hole spacing and it appears to be correct. I have not been able to find spacing for the Dana part numbers. What rear end are you running and what size u joints are you planning on using?

PostPosted: April 30, 2018, 9:24 am 

Oh I see it now. Well I suppose it's likely to be the same as the Dana then? I'm using a Ford 7.5" rear end, but have not selected u-joints or any other components yet. I gave the driveshaft builder all the measurements I could to detail the distance between flanges, vertical and horizontal offsets, as well as a rough location where I need the center bearing. The next thing I need to work out is how to attach a gear for electric reverse!

PostPosted: April 30, 2018, 11:47 am 

You will want to think about or talk to you builder about what u-joints are acceptable. The Dana spicer part you listed above is for a 1000 series ujoint which is an agricultural pto u joint and It might not handle the hp torque and rpm. The standard aftermarket joint is a 1310 joint and that is probably what your ford 7.5 had from the factory.

PostPosted: April 30, 2018, 2:49 pm 

Well, that yoke is used in dwarf cars with these engines so I'm hoping it will be okay. That said, I have provided some numbers to the builder, so we'll see what he says. Will post results when I have them.

PostPosted: April 30, 2018, 7:52 pm 

ZiG wrote:
Well, that yoke is used in dwarf cars with these engines so I'm hoping it will be okay. That said, I have provided some numbers to the builder, so we'll see what he says. Will post results when I have them.

Did some reading up on this and it looks like the the dwarf cars use two different shafts. The older light weight shaft with the Spicer 10-2-29 1000 series yoke and a newer more heavy duty shaft that uses the 2-2-899 and 1210 series joint. This is going in a locost with with additional weight compared to a dwarf car I wouldn't run the 1000 series joint.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 30, 2018, 8:48 pm 

Holy hell. That picture is worth a thousand words. And possibly some saved pain. Yeah, good call then. I will go with that! Thanks!