LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 3:24 am 

Got the internal threads on the camber sleeve nut adjusters ready to finish up with a tap. Glad there are only four of those. Had to take a maintenance break on the mini lathe to change the brushes, actually the springs had broken, probably from vibration. Amazingly the Bosch router brushes I had laying around fit. Occasionally hoarding pays off!

Also got some threaded inserts welded in. Broke a 3/8 tap off in one, I think the tap was getting dull. That's the inside face of the frame rail, the outer face will get ground flat to mount suspension brackets. I just want the ability to put different brackets on to make larger suspension adjustments like anti squat, roll centers and such.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 9:23 am 

Nice welding job on the inserts.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 8, 2019, 4:34 pm 

I had to get another step or two down on the readers, should have done that from the start. I still feel slow on welding.

PostPosted: January 13, 2019, 4:20 pm 

Here's my implementation of one of MiataV8's idea for a steering extender:

I'll weld in some crush tubes for the 3/8-xx bolts. Not sure if I'll need extra support out on the ends, but it looks promising to me. The ball joint are what came out of it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 16, 2019, 4:54 am 

Got quite a few wishbones done. These are the front lowers, I even remembered to weld the bearing cup in the right way on each. The first one must have distorted a few thou because the spherical bearing didn't fit afterwards. So I turned an aluminum plug to go inside the cup before welding. The second one turned out spot on and the bearing still slid right in.

After lining up the bushing ends of the arms, the bearing cups are pretty close to even, about .025" difference. Good enough for the girls I go with.

PostPosted: January 22, 2019, 11:33 pm 

Here I'm grinding suspension brackets. I made some oak jigs and patterns to help with shaping and locating the drilled holes. These are 1 degree so the center holes are at an angle and offset.

The rough bracket was cut from a 3x4x.125 rectangular tube. I can get 2 brackets per 1.125 length of tube.

PostPosted: January 24, 2019, 1:54 am 

Front rocker plate/"B" bulkhead. That will be about where the pedals will be. Since I had left over 3x4x.125 I made an on-the-fly change and was able to fill that little open triangle but also forcing me to weld a couple joints fully under the plate. A perspective render and the real thing.

I'm not sure what happened with the top of the bulkhead, I had to cut a couple welds on it and adjust it with the BFH.

PostPosted: January 24, 2019, 11:40 pm 

Nice idea with the oak jigs.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 26, 2019, 4:54 am 

Just for kicks I tried to machine aluminum on my CNC router, cause what else are you going to do on a Friday night. I was pleasantly surprised. From a foot away it looks completely professional. This is one side of a brake adapter plate. I may try to do the uprights in-house if these work out.

PostPosted: January 28, 2019, 4:16 pm 

Johnsinski wrote:
From a foot away it looks completely professional.

Run one of those 1/2" tootsie rolls along the edges with the Dremel or die grinder, and nobody will be able to tell.

BTW, this is the perfect use for one of those "spindle sanders", which I would have if they weren't more expensive than I think they're worth.

PostPosted: January 29, 2019, 3:00 am 

Got all 4 done. Not great, but it worked. I'd give it 2 "mehs" up.

PostPosted: January 29, 2019, 5:36 am 

That looks pretty dam fine to me :thmbsup:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 29, 2019, 10:31 am 

It looks great to me too. If you are concerned about the reflection variations from the different machine cuts, a minute or two in the sandblast cabinet should even out all those tell tale marks.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 30, 2019, 8:01 am 

Sooo... I could build one of those CNC routers and make it into a CNC Mill for soft metals...?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: January 30, 2019, 5:39 pm 

You could maybe. I built my "router" to cut plastics, wood, epoxies. I built it very heavy because it's 40x20x10 working volume. And yes, it's mostly wood. It's structural box is made of 4x4 walls with 3/4 melamine on both sides. A few cables with turnbuckles here and there to tweak it. It runs on Linuxcnc.

There's a cute little "pocket nc" 5-axis cnc out there that I might copy into a bigger version sometime. I mostly cut molds for RC cars and there are usually undercut areas I need to cut. I usually tip the mold up to get at those areas.

For the aluminum part I used a 1/4" diameter cutter going about .050" deep. I could experiment with a bigger cutter or load, but not right now.

A smaller build might be better for metal. And maybe use metal for building it. Pro tip: build it so you can shim and adjust all the axis and trucks to get them within the accuracy you're ok with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next