LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 12, 2020, 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mig welders
PostPosted: June 17, 2020, 9:47 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Dismantlus, pipe welders lay a 6010 root pass because it has OUTSTANDING fast freeze up characteristics. The fast freeze is the main reason the weld looks so coarse.
6013, or 7018 both have a lot more flux on the rod and a MUCH MUCH slower freeze rate. As a result you get a much smoother weld profile.

Think of them like fast or slow drying paint. Slow drying paint will self level.

What you said too! I just didn't get that far into the why of it, just that it does. Cheers!

PostPosted: June 18, 2020, 10:12 am 

I will second Lincoln L-56 for bare wire and wouldn't choose anything else. One large part of my day job is weld procedure development and weld wire selection for a ASME/Military code shop that has around 100 welders. A few years ago I reevaluated our Er70S-6 filler metal and ran spools from every brand of weld wire that I could find and L-56 was hands down the best. I also get free sample spools all the time with the latest greatest that is "supposed" to be better and only one has been better for us, another Lincoln weld wire. Unfortunately that wire is not available for order to the general public.

PostPosted: June 18, 2020, 8:53 pm 

If anyone's needing a small welding cart, napaonline.com has one on special for $54. $100 off.

Equivalent on Amazon is $99. It's a little nicer than the HF basic $45 cart IMHO.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPW14440407

I think it's on sale until the end of the month, but I didn't dig to find out 'cause I already got mine.