LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2006, 11:22 am 

mr.peabody.d wrote:
Hats off Chet LOOKS GREAT!!!! Let us know how it works in application. I love the idea.....looks inexpensive and like a million bucks at the same time.

Does the diameter tube you wanna bend (3/4" I assume) fit inside? I am always happy to see a frugal solution succeed (as I am cheap too).

Your my new hero......(If it works).

:lol:

Thanks, yes it seems to work fine thus far, but I haven't tried the smaller bends yet. And yes the inner dimension of the pipe used to make the bender matches the outer dimension of the tube being bent. I ordered a 2' piece just to build this thing. Cost me $6. The sad thing is I only get to use it twice with the 3" radius bend and twice with the 1.25" radius. Four bends and done, seems like a lot of work to get such limited use. I guess I'll have to build another locost when I get this one finished.

Actually now that I think about it, I could probably use it to build a go kart for the kids out of 3/4" tubing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2006, 1:46 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Quote:
Cost me $6.

OR sell the rear bends to recoope your 6 dollars.
To augment your build you could sell a word file of this thread converted to PDF and sell it on Ebay to niave novices.

My "Great Stuff" adventure and wooden buck cost me much more than that.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Last edited by mr.peabody.d on December 31, 2006, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31, 2006, 1:47 pm 

I have this bender...

http://www.pro-tools.com/105_4.htm

I have 1", 1.5", and 1.750" round tubing dies. It works awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 2:09 am 

Well my attempt at bending to the uber tight 1.25" radius went down in flames. I'm about convinced it can't be done by hand. Anyway, my primitive creation will bend the 3" radius all day so I plan on just bending up a couple more 3" pieces to put on the bottom corners. I'll just cut away an inch of the bottom rear tube to keep the transition smooth.

I guess another option to make the tighter radius work without collapsing would be to cut some slots along the inside radius of the tube before I bend it. (sort of like I did to the half pipe to make my mandrel-ish fixture, except on the inside) I could then run a bead of weld across to lock it in. Only the outer part has to be smooth right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 11:36 am 

Chet,
Can you bend me some too and I will buy you some lights for your poorly lit garage. I think I have a book that gives the minimum radii that certain gauge tube can be bent,,,I would search for it but I just got off a double shift.

To err is human...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 12:10 pm 

mr.peabody.d wrote:
Chet,
Can you bend me some too and I will buy you some lights for your poorly lit garage. I think I have a book that gives the minimum radii that certain gauge tube can be bent,,,I would search for it but I just got off a double shift.

Just let me know when you need them and I'll get them ready for you. You don't need to buy me any lights, I've evolved into a bat-like creature and I now navigate my garage using something not unlike sonar. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 1:44 pm 
chetcpo wrote:
I now navigate my garage using something not unlike sonar. :P

The shin and object method? :lol: :D

--JOsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 1:57 pm 

CR_Turboguy wrote:
chetcpo wrote:
I now navigate my garage using something not unlike sonar. :P

The shin and object method? :lol: :D

--JOsh

:lol: I did discover that I had a 44" vertical leap when I stepped on an air ratchet while feeling my way through one night. Those things are even louder in total darkness when you aren't expecting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 6:00 pm 

Quote:
I've evolved into a bat-like creature and I now navigate my garage using something not unlike sonar.

While your braille inspired building skills are truely progressing nicely, I was being selfish and thinking about the last series of photos you posted.

Just one question are your sons holding the candle as you operate the camera?

Just joking....Merry Chrismas....Buy Two lights....send four bends (just the bends please, no hurry)....and Happy New Year.

To err is human...

Last edited by mr.peabody.d on January 2, 2007, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2007, 8:25 pm 
I can guarantee that if I had a 44" vertical leap in my garage, coupled with my 74" height and an 80" ceiling, I'd be seeing stars and only be 10" high, but 74" long (until I regained consciousness). And I too navigate my way around the shop by sound since my flourescent lights all died during the latest bout of power outages. Sometimes I get hi-tech, and hold a flashlight in my teeth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2, 2007, 4:41 am 

My condolenences Zetec....sorry to hear that. One must wonder if you hit your thumb with a hammer do you mumble or drop the light? :lol:

Are you lights fixable (bulbs) or do they need to be replaced (replaced with new lights)?

To err is human...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2, 2007, 11:42 pm 
I've learned not to yell when I get hot beads of weld down my neck (I appreciate the heat - it's cold in the shop, too!) or whack some part of me with a hammer or wrench. If I yell, I drop my flashlight, and can't see what I want to kick....

I think the ballast resistors went out in all my flourescents...gonna buy ordinary ligh fixtures next time, I think. Easier to fix, and they generate a little heat, too... :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10, 2007, 7:10 pm 

I've posted this before in other places but I'll do it again, I guess. I bought from Wholesale tools catalog a pipe/conduit bender for about $55. I has a three legged stand and works about like the one from the Lendsey books. you can find pictures at http://WWW.texaslocost.com on my tools page. this machine did a supurb job of bending 5" radius bends in 1" tubing. I even made a bender die for square tubing. For the money you can't beat it. however it does takd a gorrila to bend even 1" tubing 1 1/4 may take a hydrolic tube. Anyway, take a look.
Wayne :wink: