LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 8, 2011, 9:30 pm 

Locost_Johnh wrote:
don't you just fart and blow yourself out?

You mean "I thought that was just gas" ?

PostPosted: February 8, 2011, 10:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

SkinnyG wrote:
Locost_Johnh wrote:
don't you just fart and blow yourself out?

You mean "I thought that was just gas" ?

And I thought we'd hit rock-bottom when the discussion got down to "sweat suction"... Boy, was I wrong... Bunch of sickos...

I FEEL RIGHT AT HOME!!! :cheers:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 9, 2011, 12:12 am 

...... This is getting interesting. I thought that that was how you got out of very low cars too not just tight seats, but I suppose it depends on how much you like Taco Bell.........

Gonzoracer, you should come down to Crystal River this March and join me and some of my friends for a re-hydration session after diving Devils Den and Rainbow River :cheers:

PostPosted: February 9, 2011, 1:06 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I mean real world, don't you just fart and blow yourself out?

I guess it depends. I was thinking that was more of an air suspension thing for comfort. My car is a single seater though so maybe you can get away with more...

PostPosted: February 9, 2011, 4:25 am 

The foam material used for these seats is ok for being a light duty seat, but it generally doesn't hold up to other forms of abuse well. The foam will also set up firm, so for regular use you will probably want to either leave some extra room for padding, or plan on shaving away enough foam to allow for it. These seats generally only last for a few seasons and then need to be re-done. Stepping on them, exposing them to lots of driver and belt movement or using them as package shelves can potentially reduce the life of the seat.

You can increase the lifespan by covering the back side of the seat in fiberglass to help prevent the base from wearing & chafing against the trike chassis. I would also recommend a small "test run" to get used to both the foam's behavior and to make sure that it can be 'glassed without melting. Covering the seating surface with a layer of light, strong foam & fabric will also help with seat life. Since you don't need to have a fireproof seat covering, you might want to consider a thick fabric material covering glued onto the foam to protect the seat, combined with a washable padded cover that attaches over the seat & provides some added comfort for you to sit on.

PostPosted: February 9, 2011, 6:44 am 

Do the more expensive bead seats hold up better to regular use and abuse? Or are all of these intended for regular replacement? I guess I'll give this a try and if it looks like I'll be replacing it regularly I'll go the fiberglass route. I did some fiberglass work in college and wasn't a big fan so I've been trying to avoid it for this build but it may make more sense in the long run.

PostPosted: February 9, 2011, 11:04 am 

Lots of tech on poured foam seats on Apexspeed.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14713

Another option that you might want to consider (and that's mentioned in the thread I linked) is laminated foam. Instead of pouring liquid foam in a bag and sitting in it, you buy the foam in sheets and start gluing sheets together to make the block of foam you need. Then using cutting and grinding tools, you carve out the seating area. This should still work well in a cold garage.

PostPosted: February 10, 2011, 6:35 am 

A pretty good discussion on the Apexspeed site. Definitely has me thinking more about the different options. At this point I'm thinking to just get the ball rolling I'll use the foam I have (when it warms up) and see how it does. I can cover it in gaffers tape to try and reduce the abrasive wear and then cover in some sort of fabric. Maybe some removable sweatshirt material? See how it holds up and if it looks like it's going to be an annual process I'll either use it for a fiberglass mold or do something completely different. The 2-part foam should be enough to at least get me on the road which at this point still feels far away.

PostPosted: May 22, 2011, 9:28 am 

Long Update:

I was able to make the foam seat yesterday using the expanding 2-part foam. This was actually the second attempt. The first try was not very productive and we went through the whole kit and didn't get much usable foam. We tried it on a ~70 deg night and the foam did not expand much. Definitely answered the question of how important the temperature is. We also learned to roll the bag up to be sure you are pouring it in the bottom of the bag, as it will stick to the sides of the bag and not get where you need it. I suspended myself in the frame using a climbing harness to be sure I got some thickness under me. But we didn't get the bag centered perfectly and the force of the expansion was actually enough to push me to one side. We called it a night and I ordered 2 more kits from Pegasus (the seat got more expansive than planned) and waited for a nice hot day. I sanded down the initial block that resulted from the first try and made it so I could sit centered and on the first foam to be sure I don't move. The second attempt yesterday was a lot better. My guess is from the heat (75+ deg. sunny day). We poured a whole kit at once in the bag around the initial block of foam fit it back into the frame and I sat down on it. Worked great, it actually got most of the back as well. After an hour we did a small second pour and filled in the rest of the back.

Now that I've been through the process and after sanding the first attempt, I have doubts that it will hold up to normal wear and tear for a long time as is or even with fabric. So I am planning to just fiberglass over the foam to make it a more ridged seat. First I need to do some shaping and make cut outs for the harness. At least at this point I can start figuring out the steering wheel, pedals, shifter...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.