LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tack welding joints.
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 8:45 am 
El-Loco

What is the best way to tack the tubing?
Do you tack only in one side of the tubing?
Do you tack at the 4 corners?
or 2 sides?
How did you guys do it?
pics would be great.

Thanks it advance

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 9:23 am 

I tack on either side of the joint usually since one side is usually clamped to the table and I want the heat shrinkage to be balanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 12:49 pm 
Tack diagonal corners initially, and clamp everything down like a tornado's coming if you want to minimize distortion. Even then, it'll warp some when you release it, but it'll be pretty close....

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 7:39 pm 

and as i found, if you can swing it...let the clamped portion cool overnight (or at least for several hours). i'm sure it's overkill but i got a lot less distortion when i took my time and left it clamped for an extended period of time after the welding. and what i have done is fully welded the bottom and top rails while securely clamped and the rest of the tubes i just tacked during the build and once it is all together i'll fully weld it while taking my time and not getting it too hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 7:55 pm 
Sound advice - that's the way we did it, too, and the finished diagonal measurements on the frame were less than 1/8" total distortion...closer than a brand new factory car.

By the way, I've got photos of my build at http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/ if anyone's interested....

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 8:51 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Zetec7
Nice frame pics.....I like the Colin Chapman I can lift my whole frame shot.

Good Job so far....

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2006, 9:19 pm 

Just an FYI to those starting a frame. Welding distortion works in funny ways. When hot it will warp very very slightly in one direction, when it cools it will retract in the other direction quite a bit. I've heard this phenomenon referred to as "heat shrinkage". If you would like to see an illustration of this, then grab a three foot section of straight tubing and put a 3" weld bead up one side near the middle of the tube. After it cools check it out. It will have a bend in it toward the side you welded on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 8:28 pm 

Do you think alot of that distortion has to do with using 16 gauge steel? I'm betting a thicker metal would resist distortion, good penetration or not. Of course, I wouldn't use that thick of metal for the frame, so it's kind of a pointless point :p

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 8:31 pm 

Scott wrote:
Do you think alot of that distortion has to do with using 16 gauge steel? I'm betting a thicker metal would resist distortion, good penetration or not. Of course, I wouldn't use that thick of metal for the frame, so it's kind of a pointless point :p

I don't think thickness plays a huge factor. I saw in Herb Adam's book where he show how to add negative camber to a solid rear axle by heating the housing along the top with an acetalyne (sp?) torch. That housing is usually pretty thick stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 8:36 pm 

Yup, I remember reading that now. Hmm, science, good stuff.

-Terry Pratchett

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2006, 2:28 am 

thicker steel would distort much less given the same amount of heat. but if you put enough heat into it to actuwally weld it might come close. it is amzing what heat can do to a chunk of steel. it takes years of experince to master this. the best advice for welding a frame, always weld oposite sides of your tubing back to back and jump around as much as you can. welding the opostie sides helps cancel out the pull caused while welding. jumping around helps to keep weld zones cooler and keeps the heat soak down.