LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 12:24 am 

wrightcomputing wrote:
Just a note on buying 2nd hand if it breaks your out of pocket. If you buy new especially from a big retailer you can just take it back and get another one. I know a welder should last a life time so not as important in this case. But drills and grinders, I put years of wear on them in weeks building a car. Its nice to take it back after a month and get it replaced if it breaks.

Good point, Ive been down that road with an old snap on MIG. Huge piece of garbage.

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 12:47 am 
The voice of reason

The Everlast site says it comes with a 17 torch and they have options for TIG 9,20, 26, torches. Maybe the one you saw on WledingTipsandTricks was not the 17, sometimes they change these things or the web site is wrong etc. You can ask when you call...

They do mention a minimum amp setting and it is different for some of their welders (Everlast).

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 2:37 pm 

I honestly don't remember which machines I welded with it was quite a while ago. My advice on machines on a budget is older american transformer based machines if you have the space and power, if not, I would try an everlast machine first before I bought a machine from a company that does not specialize in welding equipment like Eastwood.

As for the torch a smaller torch is nice but I would not go smaller than a 17 series air cooled on a 180 amp machine. If you are only welding small parts at low amps and short welds you could get away with a 9 series but risk ruining the torch if your not carful. I run a 20 series water cooled torch which is the same size as a 9 series but good for 250 amps. You can always add a small water cooled torch later down the road. I built my cooler out of a transmission cooler, a radiant heater pump and a stainless tank I bough from the resturant supply. I think I have 40 dollars invested in it.

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 10:51 pm 

WelderLee wrote:
I honestly don't remember which machines I welded with it was quite a while ago. My advice on machines on a budget is older american transformer based machines if you have the space and power, if not, I would try an everlast machine first before I bought a machine from a company that does not specialize in welding equipment like Eastwood.

As for the torch a smaller torch is nice but I would not go smaller than a 17 series air cooled on a 180 amp machine. If you are only welding small parts at low amps and short welds you could get away with a 9 series but risk ruining the torch if your not carful. I run a 20 series water cooled torch which is the same size as a 9 series but good for 250 amps. You can always add a small water cooled torch later down the road. I built my cooler out of a transmission cooler, a radiant heater pump and a stainless tank I bough from the resturant supply. I think I have 40 dollars invested in it.

You sir are genius, props to you on that cooler. That is awesome.

Im going to try to find some more reviews online of the everlast but I think I may go with that one.

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 7:23 am 

water cooled torch is a lot better, both for aluminum(a/c welding) and tight spaces. If you want to go really cheap, a common method is to hook it up to tap water and let the return flow run down the drain.

I have had a Miller Synchrowave 200 for 7 years. nice machine. I tried a lincoln inverter, and was really impressed with it. There is more to the machine than the specs. I recommend that you try a few types before you buy (i.e. miller/ lincoln v import, transformer v inverter)

Last year i finally splurged for a tungsten sharpener. Its a dremel with a head and diamond wheel to put a perfect point on the tungsten each time. It makes a difference when welding at lower amps(<100). I thought it was overpriced (about $250 IIRC) but i do like it

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 8:23 am 

Briggs wrote:
mgkluft wrote:
Hey Briggs,
those are good points that Bob makes, but other factors come into play too. For me to look at something used is usually a 3 hour drive, one way. So I have become pretty reliant on buying stuff online. I just bought the Eastwood 200 on Ebay, where it was only $699 plus $50 for shipping. Pretty hard to beat. It has generally good reviews, and I'm quite sure that for a hobbyist, like most of us, it will do fine. All their parts are industry standard, so it is pretty easy to get the consumables locally, like here at NAPA.
I run my Lincoln MIG 180 off 220V, so I'm not too sure how you'll do with a 110V, but the TIG might give you better results than a MIG running on 110V.
I used the Eastwood tubing notcher for my roll cage, and although it looked dinky at first, it worked flawlessly. It will do another project easily. Now that I have two welders, I can't just have one project. :twisted:

How often have you used the Eastwood 200? If it wasn't for the reviews online and the customer service I've read about the company I wouldn't consider that unit.

I haven't used it yet. It is still in transit.
Lots of good points have been made. In the end you have to look at the overall picture. Maybe you'll love building so much, that many more projects are in your future. Or you'll be so fed up from welding all day at work, the last thing you'll want is to strike up a torch. See what fits your budget. And if you get a good enough deal, you can always sell it again if you are not happy.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 5:22 pm 

Hopefully I don't get tired of welding. It is one of my passions and I hope I do continue to enjoy it.

I called Everlast today. $975 for the 185DV with a foot pedal. Its AC/DC TIG and stick, dual voltage and has a lot of good reviews as well as a 5 year warranty. I think I am going to go this route over the Eastwood. Mainly cause Everlast uses the newer IGBT transistors technology and I've read iffy things about the older ones used in the Eastwood welders. Need to hurry up and get my bonus from the Army. haha

Thanks for everyones info and knowledge. Once again you gents have helped a lot. :cheers:

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 5:36 pm 

While we're on welders, my 110V flux core machine from Horrible Fright crapped the bed yesterday.
I was tacking in the floor pan on the Mini project. pulled the trigger and click, pop, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt, and smoke. it looks like the Teflon lead to the torch wore through. The wire sorted to the machine somehow.

I'll open the case when I get a chance and see if the Genie is out of the bottle, or just a minor mishap.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 6:46 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
While we're on welders, my 110V flux core machine from Horrible Fright crapped the bed yesterday.
I was tacking in the floor pan on the Mini project. pulled the trigger and click, pop, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt, and smoke. it looks like the Teflon lead to the torch wore through. The wire sorted to the machine somehow.

I'll open the case when I get a chance and see if the Genie is out of the bottle, or just a minor mishap.

You want to borrow my 110 Northern Tool MIG? I'll will be going out of town for at least 2 weeks and wont be needing it. The bottle (150) is at about ~800 lbs. It can do flux core as well, tho I haven't tried it on flux.

I want to see the mini and the R1 anyway. haha. SC needs to stop dicking you around so you can get that beauty on the streets.

Only 3 hours from me... lol :o

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 8:37 pm 

Come by any time. You just have to ignore my way too cluttered garage.

I think I'll pick up a bottle of mixed gas from Airgas before the weekend. Maybe shouldn't tell Wifey Dearest about that. :roll:

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 11:50 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Come by any time. You just have to ignore my way too cluttered garage.

I think I'll pick up a bottle of mixed gas from Airgas before the weekend. Maybe shouldn't tell Wifey Dearest about that. :roll:

Did you get the harbor freight one back up and running?

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 8:18 am 

I have 2, a little 110 and it's big brother the 220 machine.

Small stuff and tacking parts together I pull out the 110. I was going to use it for all the sheet metal work on the Mini because it has a good stable arc at low power settings. I'll take it apart Friday night. It didn't trip a breaker, so my gut tells me the smoke was from the flux wire arcing against something in the drive.

I've used it for more than 10 years, so I'd have a hard time complaining if it's dead.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers