LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TIG or MIG?
PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 12:36 am 

cluelessbuilder wrote:
But botbasher, I'm hoping to complete my build in a couple of months. Just kidding. It doesn't matter to me how many years I take. I'm just looking forward to having some fun.
AE

Yeah... been there.. 2 complete frames and 6+ years ago!

Cherish that thought!! :lol:

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 7:22 am 

Mig welders have stood still for 30 years, what I would like to see is a thumb control on the torch for wire speed and a foot pedal for the amps like a tig. It could be the normal pre set setting on the machine with variables of 10amps + or - on the pedal and the same sort of thing on wire speed with a trim of + or - . It would make such easy work of multi positional welding like on our frames. Just thoughts and remember what side of the pond the idea came from when in years to come they are commonplace :)

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 9:16 am 

bob wrote:
Mig welders have stood still for 30 years, what I would like to see is a thumb control on the torch for wire speed and a foot pedal for the amps like a tig. It could be the normal pre set setting on the machine with variables of 10amps + or - on the pedal and the same sort of thing on wire speed with a trim of + or - . It would make such easy work of multi positional welding like on our frames. Just thoughts and remember what side of the pond the idea came from when in years to come they are commonplace :)

Bob
Yeah... Those TIG thumb controls are the bomb for everything other than bench welding! I'm really surprised that Miller and Lincoln haven't done it. Folks must not be asking for it!

I had it on my little Maxstar 150 and I LOVED it. This Dynasty 200 has a foot or panel adjust only. I find myself stopping and having to adjust when I transition from 16ga to 1/4" (frame to motor and suspension) a time or two to get the right heat. Annoying. If it was mine (borrowed from the office), I'd hack into it and change it! Sigh... If I ever buy one again, it will have torch mounted controls!

K "all thumbs" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 12:46 pm 

botbasher wrote:
bob wrote:

Bob
Yeah... Those TIG thumb controls are the bomb for everything other than bench welding! I'm really surprised that Miller and Lincoln haven't done it. Folks must not be asking for it!

I had it on my little Maxstar 150 and I LOVED it. This Dynasty 200 has a foot or panel adjust only. I find myself stopping and having to adjust when I transition from 16ga to 1/4" (frame to motor and suspension) a time or two to get the right heat. Annoying. If it was mine (borrowed from the office), I'd hack into it and change it! Sigh... If I ever buy one again, it will have torch mounted controls!

K "all thumbs" S

We had thumb control on lincoln diesel engined stick welders over thirty years ago. Heaven only knows why they stopped doing them.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 20, 2016, 5:12 pm 

I like Tig. I recommend the miller diversion 180. I have heard the dynasty is a better machine though if you want to do a lot of aluminum. My experience is limited to steel.