LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 9:33 am 

I have a Miller 211 MIG welder and a 60 cuft 75/25 mix tank. I was getting odd flow out of the nozzle and checked the gauges. Sure enough the tank pressure was reading zero. I swapped it out with a new tank from the local welding supply store but the gauge still reads zero. I have heard of the regulators going bad, but would not expect the pressure gauge to go bad. The whole set up is only 2 years old. I haven't done any welds with the new tank but I can hear good flow coming out of the nozzle. Anyone else ever have the tank pressure gauge go bad and always read zero? Should I replace the whole regulator or just the gauge?

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 12:06 pm 

Is it a sealed/filled gauge, as in - is there any fluid in the gauge face? I'm sure you've tapped on it a couple times? lol. you can test the gauge with an air compressor and a blow gun, or leakdown test if you have one of those. Pull the gauge off and shoot some compressed air in the base. does the needle move? replace regulator. does it not move? replace gauge.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 1:39 pm 

Mine took years to get to that point and I had to let the garage floor stop it from falling a bunch of times... and you got there in only 2 years!!! Some guys have all the luck!!! :roll:

It does happen on occasion. If shocked, the arm that connects the Bourdon Tube to the mechanics can be dislodged.

If it's a sealed gauge, you're SOL.

If it's not, you can often disassemble it to a point where you can hook the linkage back up.

I've done it successfully a few times, but they have always been a little off after and make great back-up gauges!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 3:54 pm 

Just a thought, I recently had a similar issue...but the new, "full" tank of argon (to run my new Miller spoolgun) I just got from Air Liquide turned out to be...an empty tank of argon. Even so, gas hissed merrily out of the tank, but that was just residual gas with virtually no pressure.

Miller stuff has a pretty decent warranty - if checking it with a *known* full bottle of gas shows it to have failed, they'll probably look after you. Miller's good stuff - I'm a convert.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 5:44 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
...an empty tank of argon. Even so, gas hissed merrily out of the tank, but that was just residual gas with virtually no pressure.

Had that happen a couple of times when I "borrowed" the tank from work. Guys forgot to put the big "MT" necklace on it. Really pisses you off over that long weekend! :BH:

K "MT" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 7:01 pm 

Try having it happen when you've just spent a hard-earned $350 for a small bottle of. ..empty! :BH:

PostPosted: February 2, 2016, 9:53 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
Try having it happen when you've just spent a hard-earned $350 for a small bottle of. ..empty! :BH:
$350?!?!? Are you welding with gold-plated gas??

Is gas really that expensive up north? Was that a "new" new bottle? Even my 80cu/ft is only $250ish at the local AirGas. Maybe I should start smuggling Argon across the border!!! :lol:

I'll never complain about the headaches of going to the welding shop for a refill in NC again!!!

KS

PostPosted: February 3, 2016, 12:19 am 

It is not liquid filled and I did disassemble it and everything on the back appears to be in good working order. I guess I will ask around at work to see if I can find someone with another tank I can check on it to verify its shot before I call miller or hitch at the lws.

Chris

PostPosted: February 3, 2016, 2:36 am 

botbasher wrote:
zetec7 wrote:
$350?!?!? Are you welding with gold-plated gas??

Is gas really that expensive up north? Was that a "new" new bottle? Even my 80cu/ft is only $250ish at the local AirGas. Maybe I should start smuggling Argon across the border!!! :lol:

I'll never complain about the headaches of going to the welding shop for a refill in NC again!!!

KS

Yup - prices have soared here, over the past 5 years or so. I wanted a full-sized bottle of argon, but at over $700, it wasn't going to happen. This is, of course, the initial buy-in for the exchange program, and subsequent fills will be a lot cheaper. IIRC, about 5 years ago when I got my large 75/25 bottle it was only $120. I was considering a bottle of tri-mix for stainless, too, but not at that price!

PostPosted: February 4, 2016, 12:05 am 

The price of gas has not risen much at all, but the bottle costs have as with most tools due to the poor showing of our dollar.
I just filled my 80 pound bottle today with 25/75 and the cost was $45, even the mix for my spool gun hasn't change hardly in the last 5 years around here .
Zetec might pay a premium because he is on the island where everything has to be trucked in or floated over.
It has gotten a bit crazy though, my Miller spoolmate 100 was $169 about 3 years ago and now they are on sale for $319, reg $349, quite a jump. My miller 180 was $769 with a free leather welding jacket, free cart, and free auto helmet, now the 190 Miller is $1165 and nothing free with it.
Not much one can do about it, too large a country with too few people, sort of like having california paying the total cost related to the running the whole US.
It would suddenly become an expensive place to live, group buys work, and the bigger the group, the cheaper the goods.
Our group up here just isn't big enough..

Al

PostPosted: February 26, 2016, 9:26 am 

Finally got around to checking my tank on a friends welder and it showed empty as well. Took it back to the supplier and he was confused as to how I even got a 60cf tank from them. They weren't supposed to be switching those out anymore and charging everyone to go up to the 80 cf tanks. He swapped me with an 80cf tank at no charge and I checked it on my welder and I have pressure and flow again. Yeah back to welding. Fortunately I only have a few tacks in non critical locations that were done without the gas.

Chris

PostPosted: February 26, 2016, 12:38 pm 

Glad you found the problem, and got it solved! Time to make sparks again... :cheers: