LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 18, 2016, 8:46 pm 

I can not find anything even close for sale. What I need is a 15" Long conical tube. It would be 3" at the large end. And 1" at the other. I'm trying to complete my equal distribution dual plenum intake manifold. And this is the last part I need to complete it.

I have a 3-1 Press break, shear slip roll, but there is zero chance it would bend this in .0625 aluminum. It's an older Dayton, which is much better the the HF version. But still not worthy of this job.

I have no other way to get this done with my own tools.

If anyone here wants to take this on I would greatly appreciate it!

I can provide a 3d model and a fully dimensioned drawing if need be. Just PM me with our quote!

Material thickness would ideally be .125, but I would accept .0625 if the thicker material causes issues. Material would be 5052 aluminum ideally.

PostPosted: February 18, 2016, 10:41 pm 

You may want to hit a scrap yard or maybe even Walmart bring your tape measure and look at some aluminum baseball bats. They come in different sizes and taper and should be thick enough. Worth a shot.

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 12:27 am 
The voice of reason

Here's a place that makes parts for quality headers and exhaust systems. They have some similar parts and price seems reasonable, it would seem you could ask them to make your special part.

http://www.coneeng.com/conical_products.html

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 4:09 am 

Could you not spin up the cone on a lathe in wood and just form the sheet material over that in two halves and seam weld it ? Even if you found someone to roll this it will end up being seam welded in one place so it may be worth having a go yourself. Just thoughts

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 8:33 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Here's a place that makes parts for quality headers and exhaust systems. They have some similar parts and price seems reasonable, it would seem you could ask them to make your special part.

http://www.coneeng.com/conical_products.html

Thanks. I'll check them out for sure.

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 8:39 am 

bob wrote:
Could you not spin up the cone on a lathe in wood and just form the sheet material over that in two halves and seam weld it ? Even if you found someone to roll this it will end up being seam welded in one place so it may be worth having a go yourself. Just thoughts

Bob

might have to go this route. But it's a last choice. I have a few other work around ideas as well. Like tacking the center of each end on the desired radius of another pipe. The force it down and tack, tack, tack until both ends are wrapped around the pipes. Then cut them off after I seem weld it... if that makes any sense.

But the problem is, the shape I actually want isn't a concentric cone where the ends are centered with eachother. I would like the ends (circles) to be tangent. This would not be able to be made on a lathe unfortunately.

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 9:37 am 

Grab a jigshaw and a sheet of plywood and go to town. Cut circles of various diameters from 1" up until your 3", and align them as the shape of the cone you want to achieve. Roll the steel around the cone, trim and weld.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 10:16 am 

1055 wrote:
Grab a jigshaw and a sheet of plywood and go to town. Cut circles of various diameters from 1" up until your 3", and align them as the shape of the cone you want to achieve. Roll the steel around the cone, trim and weld.

Ahhhh.... Like I seen older plane hulls being formed around. I'll try this out!

I'm going to try with some 3003 .090" aluminum.

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 10:50 am 
Locostering Legend

Start with a 3" dia tube, cut out pie section, bend to close, and weld shut.

Or, start with flat aluminum sheet and hammer (with rubber or wooden mallet) around a 1" dia steel rod anvil and weld seam.

The only difference between a concentric or eccentric cone segment is the angle of end cuts. Each circle is connected by straight lines, right?

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 2:52 pm 

sen2two wrote:
1055 wrote:

Ahhhh.... Like I seen older plane hulls being formed around. I'll try this out!

I'm going to try with some 3003 .090" aluminum.

I'm not sure what I meant by jigshaw, but I'm glad you understood.

Exactly like that! Commonly referred to as a "buck" for forming.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 19, 2016, 3:06 pm 

sen2two wrote:
But the problem is, the shape I actually want isn't a concentric cone where the ends are centered with eachother. I would like the ends (circles) to be tangent. This would not be able to be made on a lathe unfortunately.

There would be no difference in your application. If you use a concentric cone, the secondary plenum will technically have an elliptical cross section, but you're talking about a 3.8 degree angle. The difference between the major and minor axis would be less than 1 percent. At the 3 inch end there would be a 0.020" difference, even if you go to all the trouble of rolling the perfect eccentric cone, do you really think you can keep the weld distortion to less than twenty thousandths of an inch? Or 6 thousandths at the small end?