LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 12:39 am 

What do you call this kind of bolt? It presses into a square hole, and has a low profile, pan head as you'll see from the photos of my car seat sliders. I've found some ungraded carriage bolts that fit with a fair degree of slop. I'll use those temporarily while building the seat to go on these sliders. However, for a permanent solution, I'd prefer to use this type as the fit-up is excellent.
Attachment:
DSC03530.JPG

Attachment:
DSC03531.JPG

Here's the empty, square slots in the upper part of the slider. They attach to your seat structure.
Attachment:
DSC03532.JPG

Attachment:
DSC03533.JPG

The seat slider vendor supplies conventional, but low profile hex bolts. They have quite a bit of slop in the square hole and I don't like the idea of the seat bolts having room to move should I ever be in a collision.

Thanks,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 1:01 am 

Try "Flat Head Carriage Bolt" in your search. The flat headed ones are built with more precision than the traditional dome headed ones.

PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 11:06 am 

It is called a clinch head bolt. It's a specialty bolt. You would be hard press to find a supply locally, and chances are you could not re-stake it and have it hold any way. Your best bet is to grind down a standard bolt with the right threads and weld it in place, then dress it so it will function on the slider.
There is typical a marking on the head, that identifies the mfr, but unless you want to buy any where from a 1/4 to 3 million they are not going to sell 2 or 3. Dave W

PostPosted: January 17, 2017, 11:29 am 

davew wrote:
It is called a clinch head bolt. It's a specialty bolt. You would be hard press to find a supply locally, and chances are you could not re-stake it and have it hold any way. Your best bet is to grind down a standard bolt with the right threads and weld it in place, then dress it so it will function on the slider.
There is typical a marking on the head, that identifies the mfr, but unless you want to buy any where from a 1/4 to 3 million they are not going to sell 2 or 3. Dave W

Ha Ha. A play on words. I likey :D

Seriously, you can use the hex head bolt supplied and tack weld it in place. It will work just like new. Protect the interfacing areas of the slide so you do not get splatter on it.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 12:11 am 

@BHRmotorsport
I tried that, but found mostly references to a "garage door carriage bolt" and "plow bolt" on the Internet. Plow bolts look like a better dimensional match. However, I only found them ready-made in 3/8" or larger. I need 5/16", as it happens.

Thanks, though, Bill

@davew
Dave, the "clinch bolts" I found on the Internet were all round shanks. I have found some graded, stainless steel carriage bolts that might work, and they're sold in packages of 10, so they're affordable. I have the dimensions for them and will measure my slider holes to see if they will work. Otherwise, I'll probably just weld in something as you and Chuck (rx7locost) suggest.

Thanks all for the responses.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 2:33 pm 

Lonnie,

I found lots of places on the web that list 5/16" flat head carriage bolts but all of the vendors show them as being "out of stock". Strange. Has there been a run on that configuration of hardware recently? :?:

If you only need 8 of them (I'm guessing 4 per seat) how about making your own out of regular, 5/16" dome head carriage bolts? You could easily flatten the dome and square up the shoulder.

Good luck! Bill

PostPosted: January 20, 2017, 1:02 am 

It's the size of the square shank portion of the carriage bolt that's the problem, Bill. The "clinch bolt" opening is just larger than than a customary carriage bolt. "Plow bolts" appear to be available in a variety of square shank sizes, but none as small (ironically) as I need. There's one outfit that has some carriage bolts that appear to be larger than standard, but I'm not sure they're big enough yet. We'll see.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 20, 2017, 7:20 am 

I will machine the heads down on the square carriage bolts if that will help. Just send me the bolt with a dimensional drawing and I will gladly do it. I can easily machine the heads to a smaller dimension.

PostPosted: January 20, 2017, 9:02 pm 

dolomite_supafly wrote:
I will machine the heads down on the square carriage bolts if that will help. Just send me the bolt with a dimensional drawing and I will gladly do it. I can easily machine the heads to a smaller dimension.

Thank you, sir. That is very generous of you. I probably take you up on it if I can't solve it in a satisfactory way on my own. :cheers:

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 21, 2017, 7:17 am 

Lonnie, why can't you use a 3/8" bolt and enlarge the square hole? Is there really no room?

Bill

PostPosted: January 22, 2017, 11:02 pm 

BBlue wrote:
Lonnie, why can't you use a 3/8" bolt and enlarge the square hole? Is there really no room?

Bill

I haven't really scoped it out, so I'm guessing, but I pretty sure the head of a 3/8" bolt would be too large. The 5/16" carriage bolt head barely clears the lower slider and just fits in the track now. I think I'd have to modify the 3/8" too much.

I've momentarily moved on to other chassis items, so I can get the chassis back on the build table. I'll make some kind of simple seat then, and just attach it temporarily with the 5/16" carriage bolts. When I make a seat for real, I'll have to actually solve the problem. I had hoped there would be a ready-made bolt that would work to save me time and effort.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 8:28 am 

Carriage bolt heads are easily trimmed to fit with a file.

Bill