LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 3:32 am 

This is great news! Just had a look over at my normal site and found a whole bunch of tools for pretty decent prices: http://www.used.forsale/craftsman-tools but pictures can be deceiving, I will have to give them a thorough look over when I go to view.

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 6:03 am 

While Snap On tools may be the best, that does not mean you need to buy them. There are a lot of high quality China/Taiwan tools that are plenty good enough for a whole lot less. For openers, check out the top line tools at Harbor Freight. For the money, they are awesome. Nothing wrong with used Craftsman tools. I've been using mine for forty years. I've lost a whole lot more than I've broken or worn out.

Bill

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 9:37 am 

BBlue wrote:
While Snap On tools may be the best, that does not mean you need to buy them. There are a lot of high quality China/Taiwan tools that are plenty good enough for a whole lot less. For openers, check out the top line tools at Harbor Freight. For the money, they are awesome. Nothing wrong with used Craftsman tools. I've been using mine for forty years. I've lost a whole lot more than I've broken or worn out.

Bill

I would agree with Bill about SOME of the Harbor Freight tools, for sure. I have a beautiful set of forged and polished metric wrenches purchased at Harbor Freight that are from India, not China, and they are excellent. On the other hand, some of the cheaper hand tools there, mostly Chinese, are OK, but not great.

As far as Craftsman tools go, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used set if they are in decent shape. I still have and use a few Craftsman tools that came from my grandfather through my father. My grandfather purchased them in the 1930s. If a tool lasts through 3 generations of users, I don't think you can ask for much more than that.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 10:09 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy used craftsman tools in decent shape. I've got my grandpa's old tools at home too, and they're still good stuff. Lifetime warranty at any sears store, no receipt required.
Kristian
I like(d) Craftsman. They have had good tools in the past. To me, the Lifetime warranty and ease of replacement is in serious jeopardy. And it is not just me, Sears itself questions its own future.
FYI:
* Sears sold Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker in January
* Sears lost $2.2 bln last year
* Sears is considering selling some of its businesses, such as the Kenmore appliances and DieHard car battery brands.

Quote:
"Our historical operating results indicate substantial doubt exists related to the company's ability to continue as a going concern," Sears

Who knows how long the new owners of Craftsman will take to put that cherished name on lower priced, lower quality, tools?
Who knows how much longer Sears retail stores will be around?

I'm sorry to say this great brand of tools may disappear. Only time will tell.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 22, 2017, 7:22 pm 
Always Moore!

Based on the Black and Decker stuff I've had the misfortune of owning, I suspect the cheapening down occured about the second the pen touched the paper. ;)

PostPosted: March 23, 2017, 10:45 pm 

Half a century ago, as a fresh young mechanic, I bought Snap On and Craftsman because I wanted tools that would last me a lifetime. Nowadays, I can get tools that will last me a lifetime from Harbor Freight. :cry:

PostPosted: March 24, 2017, 8:07 am 

I buy tools not by any particular brand name but by the way and what they will be used for.

The quality has come way up on many of the cheaper brand names.

I have a mixture of SnapOn and Craftsman for the small sockets up to 1"

Over 1" is a hodge podge many purchased for single use. Look at Duralast or HF

Channel lock pliers

My favorite long wrenches are Mack

Craftsman screwdrivers, Stanley and Klein.

I will no longer buy a Craftsman ratchet, look at Ace Hardware they have some good guaranteed tools.

Craftsman sets on sale. I don't care for buying used, I dont want to support the sale of stolen goods.
Estate sales and auctions are a good source.

The biggest thing is to not run out and try to buy them all at once you will spend a lot of cash.

If you need a tool box and all, get one of the large craftsman sets on sale for a starter then buy what you need as it comes up.

PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 11:10 pm 

I look for used first and then look at harbor freight. The trick with getting good tools from harbor freight is if they have the CR-V stamp or not, also they are quality if they are from Taiwan. Stuff from China can be a gamble but quality is always getting better and the handtools are lifetime warranty. You can check reviews on everything too. The bonus with buying inexpensive tools is the money goes 3x as far if not more. I here more and more snap on stuff is coming from China anyway. If I wanted a pricey top quality brand (or just a few highly used tools like 3/8 ratchet) I would buy from wright tools USA made and easily on par with snap on