LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 4:09 am 

Hello everyone. I'm sure you all know me by now. If not, where have you been?! JK. I know I haven't posted much lately. As some of you know, I'm stopping my build for now as my business is keeping me busy.

So a little about 8Eight Fab. I started this business as a part time gig to help pay for tools. This month it's 1 year old. A friend of mine came to me and asked if I could make a downpipe for his Volvo V70R. Only 1 company makes them and they are $900. Yes, $900 for a downpipe. We figured all the materials out. Less then $200 huh? He posted a picture of it and people went crazy over it. We sold 10 in 4 days. Took me 2 months to build them. That paid for my new TIG welder. I started off selling them for $339, now they sell for $419 plus shipping. 1 year later and I've sold 34 of them. I've sold 1 to Australia and another to Belgium, the rest all over the country. I now offer different version of them from catless to a 2 piece where you can swap between a cat piece and a straight pipe. Most expensive one I sold was $619.

I've had customers asked me to do all sorts of projects. Most interesting one was a dual 3 inch tip. This one was very challenging as he told me I only had 6-1/4" to fit 2 3" pipes. Not much room to work with. I made a custom Y pipe and bought 2 double wall 3" tips on eBay. (Ebay is a great place for exhaust tips, long as it says stainless steel, it's usually good.) I had Botbasher coat it as it was a little rough.

I've done a couple of custom exhaust for local guys. My favorite being MNots full exhaust for his locost. He pretty much did the header, I just welded it.

I've built 2 exhaust for my Subaru WRX. My Volvo I bought from my friend so it has the 1st downpipe I built.

Sorry for the lack of pictures everyone. I'll get those up when I'm on wifi.

PostPosted: May 9, 2017, 2:12 am 

I'm having a hard time uploaded images to the site so I'll be using photobucket for the time being.

My buddy Anthony who I've known since 1st grade (22 years ago) owns a 2004 dodge neon SRT4. He came over the other weekend and I built him an oval side exit exhaust and added a resonator to his setup. Resonator helped with the rasp and the side exit is just cool. Haha.

Next up was the exhaust for the Subaru. 3" all the way from the downpipe out the rear bumper. Spin tech muffler with dual rolled edge 3" tips.

Next was a custom 3" dual tip I made for a customers s60R Volvo. This one was tricky as I only had 6-1/4" of room to work with. That meant putting the 3" double wall tips directly beside each other. I welded them together at a staggered angle to flow with the rear bumper. Ken (BotBasher) coated them for my customer.

PostPosted: May 9, 2017, 2:18 am 

Had a 1.8T VW jetta stop by. I build him a test pipe as well as a catback.

I also did some upgrades to the downpipes.

Added the bracket for the heat shield.

Upgraded to better hangers.

There is a 95 mustang Cobra sitting in the garage currently. I'm building a side exit for his car.