LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 28, 2017, 5:38 am 

I've seen build tables designed to be cut down the middle so they could be repurposed as workbenches, which I thought was a fine idea, but I saw something interesting in a build thread over on locostbuilders.co.uk.

The builder was using an old trailer as his build table. It wasn't all that convenient as far as size, but it looked like it was working out for him.

I think the width issue would be a deal-breaker if you wanted to use a table-trailer to put the finished car on - at least I'm not thrilled with the idea of leaning over a six foot wide table while working - but a standard 4x8 or 4x10 size would make a bitchin' utility trailer. And if you didn't particularly need a trailer, you could sell it and put the money into the rest of the build.

The first time around I laid my spare tubing across a couple of sawhorses, tossed a piece of half inch plywood on top, and shimmed it level, which worked for my minimalist needs. But some builders go for rather elaborate tables. [cough] Lonnie-S [/cough]

Once you have a couple hundred bucks of steel and several days' work in a super-table, you're faced with what to do with it when you're done. Maybe making a trailer frame would be an option for someone.

PostPosted: November 28, 2017, 3:20 pm 

I used my 4x8 utility trailer as a build table and it worked out well. When I was working I jacked up all 4 corners and put it on taller jack stands, and would lower it down when I was done. I was only working out of a one car garage and it allowed me to wheel the car around and move it when needed. After I moved to an even smaller work area I switched over to what can be described as a set of saw horses on wheels as the trailer took up to much space.

PostPosted: December 27, 2017, 8:33 pm 

The open-wheel guys call those "car stands"; they get enough guys to pick each end up while someone slides the stand under. Pegasus used to sell folding ones for Vees. The wheels sound like a nice upgrade for shop work.

At least if you're not a "leaner" like I am. I had a car all shimmed up level with the front wheels on oiled steel plates (10x10x10ga) that I was using as swivels, so I could measure the caster. Unfortunately I had to do it twice, after leaning on the fender and having the plates slide off each other... funny, they didn't want to slide back without jacking it back up.
But at least I didn't fall on my face, and nobody was around to laugh...