LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 5:34 pm 

Hey guys,

There is a Bridgeport up for auction near me and I expect there are a few people here who know these well. Currently has no action on it so I think it go cheap. I don't know much about these things, but would like one at some point (though I'd prefer a friend buys it so I don't have to lose the floor space to use it ;) ). Does anyone have input on what this thing would be worth or approximate age? Total cost what would you pay for this sight-unseen? Says it has a 48" deck. It's from a Aerospace Tooling company who has giant CNC mills for their products. I expect this thing was mostly used to make smaller fixtures and such. The other stuff they have for sale that I am more familiar with seem to be well cared for.

Thanks for any help!
Cory

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by C10CoryM on August 19, 2020, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 6:33 pm 

The best way to date that machine is with the serial number. I'm pretty sure they've been making variable speed heads for over 30 years.

I'd give about $1000 for it.
I'd expect the power feed and DRO not to work and for it to need bushes for the leadscrews.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 6:52 pm 

Once a machine dealer gets it, the price will go to $3,500+. :shock:
Even if it's worn out.
I gave nearly that for my ENCO copy with a power knee.

Machine is not the total cost, you will need tooling, holders, vice, etc. but you can space those purchases out.
Can you inspect the mill?
Is it under power?
Look for slop in the lead-screw, particularly near center of travel.
I see a DRO, does it work?
Power X, does it work?

BEWARE, once you have a mill of your own you will wonder how you ever survived without one!
Then you will know you need a lathe too. :wink:

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 7:12 pm 

C10Cory,
Why did you have to post that?!?! I'm now browsing the catalogue and realizing I shouldn't have bought a new project car. I don't have space for a milling machine, so I'm not going to be bidding against you, even though I want/need one. Any idea what company it was that's being liquidated?

Rod

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 8:04 pm 

3 phase motor? Might want to ask. There are ways but they all add dollars for a home owner location. Still...... would be fun.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 8:17 pm 

Both my lathe and mill are 3-phase, and I bought variable frequency drives to run them off single phase. 3-phase is SO worth it.

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can make an appt to view it prior to the auction so may do that. Not far from home. Honestly not the right time for me to buy it as Covid has left me with heart issues, but I may throw a lowish bid on it anyways. Being off work gives you time to jump on deals (Eg. Just bought a truck for about $2k less than it was worth because I was able to get there first), but low income and unsure future makes it maybe unwise to spend too much.

Quote:
Machine is not the total cost, you will need tooling, holders, vice, etc. but you can space those purchases out.

Yeah, the auction also has a bunch of tooling up as well, though I wouldn't know enough to bid on it nor would I want to get stuck with tooling and no machine haha.

Quote:
3 phase motor? Might want to ask.

Agreed. Thanks for pointing it out. My shop is single phase, and can only have one big machine running at a time (which is fine).

Rod, You stay away from anything with "C10corym" bidding on it :lol:

PostPosted: August 20, 2020, 12:56 am 

C10CoryM wrote:
Honestly not the right time for me to buy it as Covid has left me with heart issues

Cory are you saying you got bit by the bug? If so, glad to hear you came through it. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 20, 2020, 2:07 am 

horchoha wrote:
C10CoryM wrote:
Honestly not the right time for me to buy it as Covid has left me with heart issues

Cory are you saying you got bit by the bug? If so, glad to hear you came through it. :cheers:

Yeah, My Girlfriend and I had Covid mid-May. Thanks for the well wishes. She recovered fully after ~6wks, as did her coworkers who also had it. I got hit pretty hard and have been left with heart problems from it so have been unable to do much since then (including my job). Still working on diagnosing it, but presumed to be inflammation of the left ventricle. Should know more next week.

Cheers.

PostPosted: August 20, 2020, 8:53 am 

Don't forget about buyer's premium and transport cost on top of tooling and VFD.

If that's a genuine Kurt vise and it comes with the mill that's a few hundred bucks.

I'll bet that it's not under power and depending on the auction company, some are less honest than they should be. You might recall the ripoff I went through buying a chassis and "transaxle" from the Skip Barber liquidation.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 20, 2020, 7:38 pm 

Milling machines are awesome to have. Even worn ones are great for fabrication - drilling evenly spaced holes and machining angles, etc. Power cross feed is super useful. DROs from china are really cheap ($200-$300) and work great. They really add to the abilities of the machine and compensate for wear
The spindle bearings are expensive to repair. I think they are 600 plus the need to be installed (not easy) and indexed. To do it right, it should be reground after bearings are installed. There are videos how to check. Its easy but you need a dial indicator. I wouldnt buy a mill with worn spindle bearings.
There is a lot of tooling on Ebay - a few endmills and a good set of drill bits is a good start. A dial indicator is a must to tram vise and head and line up over holes or other features to be machined. The NOGA indicator stands are AWESOME! really brilliant design.
on youtube, Tom Liptons channel "Oxtool" is great for super precision and learning about tools and machining Adam Booth "Abom79" is a working machinist. He does a great job - i have learned so much by watching his videos

PostPosted: November 23, 2020, 11:28 pm 

> Yeah, the auction also has a bunch of tooling up as well, though I wouldn't know enough to bid on it nor would I want to get stuck with tooling and no machine haha.

In my experience, tooling at auction goes for near or even above retail prices; the bargains, if you're lucky, are to be had on the machines.

PostPosted: May 15, 2023, 9:02 am 

Yeah, It's hard to say for sure, but it could be a good deal if it looks like it's in good shape and has been well taken care of. want.net is a great place to find the best goods and services. It has detailed customer reviews and ratings that make it easy to find the best choices. CNC machine services offer cutting, drilling, CNC milling machine, and finishing services that are fast and accurate for a wide range of businesses.

PostPosted: May 15, 2023, 2:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Three year old thread, pretty sure he bought it, or didn't.

Your few posts include: "Hello", "Hi", and "build your own car", apparently so you can post an embedded ad. Maybe I'm wrong though, and you're going to next share your build thread, right?

PostPosted: May 16, 2023, 2:11 am 

Miller Scottish wrote:
:spam:
:no:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie