LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 2:49 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

While I do like the idea of a four wheel power slide.... I think the general idea should be to make all the wheels grip and hold the road. Planning for reduced handling sounds more than a little iffy to my novice mind.

Looking at the MK the rear bottom arms are longer than the top.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 6:26 pm 

its not reduced traction as such. it is more of a way to reduce over steer. Having twice the traction in the front is pointless if the back is loose as a truckstop hooker. By not having camber gain in the front reduces the oversteer and would make the car easier to control.
this is all in theory but the more I think about it the more functional the equal A-arms appear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 8:12 pm 

4agze wrote:
its not reduced traction as such. it is more of a way to reduce over steer. Having twice the traction in the front is pointless if the back is loose as a truckstop hooker. By not having camber gain in the front reduces the oversteer and would make the car easier to control.
this is all in theory but the more I think about it the more functional the equal A-arms appear.

I think what D. is saying is that who in their right mind would purposely design a car that has inherent oversteer that you keep in check with bad front grip. Doesn't sound like much fun to drive. :shock: But I think that both he and I agree that they do not have equal length front A arms. The uppers are shorter in every pic I've seen. No offence but I think you are over analyzing something before you have all the details to guide you. You really can't tell much about suspension geometry from pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 10:59 pm 

True.
But back to the topic of the thread, does anyone know if there are years and models with compatable axles? or a good source for the factory axles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17, 2006, 12:35 am 

I am not sure if you are aware of this or if this is you....
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/bo ... hp?t=20637

To err is human...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21, 2006, 3:37 pm 

Ok I posted on Several Sites..the message was the same.
Quote:
Hello just trying to help out a member on a forum that I am a moderator for... www.locostUSA.com.
The poster, 4agze, is building a single seat middy.

Quote:

I have a toyota 4agze motor on the way and am done with the first design phase. Now I just need some drive axles, hubs, and a little info.
I was wondering which years and models of toyota have the same hubs and axles as the 80's mr2?
After that I can just get all the other parts from site's I already have bookmarked.
The concept is much like the areal At-om but... lighter, and a single seater.
THats right! A 4agze supercharged four banger rocketing a single person to his almost certain death. Well scratch that last part.
Anyways I'm all pumped up and just need to know what years and models of toyota share hubs with the mr2.

Quote:
back to the topic of the thread, does anyone know if there are years and models with compatable axles? or a good source for the factory axles?

Does anyone here have any ideas, opinions, links, or recommendations that could help this guy out.

If you have any information or advice please stop by and offer it...or post it here and I will be happy to relay it to 4agze. Thank you for any help or information you can give....
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Results and links as follows....
Grassroots Motor Sports
http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/view ... 578#220578

Vorpal replies
Quote:
www.mr2oc.com

He should find SC axles for sale there. IIRC, these axles are unique to the MR2 SC. They are also desireable because they're used in the Mk1 MR2 3SGTE swap.

ae86andkp61 writes....
Quote:
There is a ton of crossover between MR2s and FWD Toyotas with A-series power, which would include Corollas, some Celicas, FX and FX16, etc. The supercharged transaxle is called the e51 and it is known as "the strong one" so it is a bit more desireable, as are the accompanying axles. The other trannies that bolt to this engine are known as c50, c52, c56, etc.

This link might be a place to start:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/ ... axles.html

And I would think a simple google search for "mr2 axle c50 e51" would yield hours worth of reading... Wink

toyotaspeed90 from "Toyota nation" (Welcome Aboard toyotaspeed90)
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t161495.html
Quote:
preferably you should use an e50 transmission mated to a 4agze..... it came only in the 88-89 supercharged mr2's, and the axles are VERY hard to come by....

you can, however, use the c50/52 that was found in the n/a mr2's..... they are lighter with shorter gear ratios..... but they aren't nearly as strong..... depending on how well it will grip on hard launches, it very well could blow the transmission..... however, these transmissions/axles are very easy to come by

another option would be to get an e150 (with an LSD) from a turbo mr2 and use a bellhousing from an e50 (or e58.... from the FWD version of the 4agze.... not available here in the US stock... but you can find these transmissions relatively easily... problem is then finding axles)....

if you went with an e50/c50/c52 all the outer hubs are the same

if you went with an e150 from a 2nd gen mr2 you would need hubs of the approximate year that the trans came from

Locost_North_America
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Loc ... sage/37835

MR2 Owners Club Message Board™
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=2 ... ost2198804
Crono35 wrote....
Is he looking for brand new axles? Aaron Willis at Lithia Toyota was able to get me some OEM parts for a really good price... aawillis@lithia.com is his email addy.

Hopefully some will post something to help with your build 4agze. It will have lots of eyes on the message and someone should reply with useful information.

Also you may consider looking over these links and contacting MeerKat he used a MR2 based build for his too.
http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/Links.htm

Another good MR2 site....with lots of information
http://www.mr2.com/

Of course if you want good information you could pop over to chat with Steve Grabber, (He is using an MR2 based drivetrain).
http://www.grabercars.com/

(As updates occur I will simply edit this post)

To err is human...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 9:05 pm 

yes, I had said that on toyotanation.... with the idea that i would re-emphasize it on this board.....

the E series transmissions are very strong.... known to hold over 500whp....

however, it comes at a price -- literally and in 'weight'.

When i was building my (now sold) 87 mr2 with an ae01 4agze, i was looking for axles for the lsd e58 (FWD) that came with the motor, and intended on modifying the linkages to work with an mr2 (the linkages are on the opposite side of the trans, but is relatively easily changed). However, as things turned out, those axles were nearly impossible to get ahold of -- they aren't the same as the e50 (mr2 s/c trans) axles as the differentials are different (and actually the FWD motors used an intermediate shaft)... impossible to find because the importers cut them in half, unless they come over in a 1/2 cut (which then are generally kept by the person purchasing the 1/2 cut).

So i decided to go with an E50.... i'd lose the LSD, but it should be easier to locate everything.... sold the e58.... and looked ALL around for the trans and axles.... (I then worked at a parts store....had checked all 5 other corporate and local parts stores, along with calling all surrounding junkyards)... I had luckily come across someone on www.mr2oc.com whom was parting out an s/c car... and I was able to get the parts for $400 (which had over 150K miles on them, and the axles needed to be rebuilt).

Since then (couple years ago) whenever an E series trans pops up with axles they get sold instantly and for a much higher price....

As for weight.... the E series transmission alone weighs ~140lbs. It uses a larger flywheel, clutch, PP, and t/o bearing (strangely enough.... even though the 220mm flywheel is the largest of the A series flywheels... it is the lightest.... however, since it is larger it requires more power to turn it, compared to the 200/212mm flywheels) than the C50/52/56/60 transmissions.....

on top of that, the axles are quite hefty as well.... especially over the C series axles...

The C series transmissions and axles are much more common... as they were in 85-97 toyota corolla's (all), 85-89 mr2's (n/a's)... and a slight variation of the C series transin the 98+ corolla's and the 1zz/2zz celica's (different bellhousings & axles... and this includes the 6 speed transmissions). I'm currently building another mr2 (85), this time turbo, but will be using a C50 trans -- lighter, lower gear ratio, and easy to find.

as for the hubs..... the C50/52 and E50 mr2's all use the same outer hubs (well, not exactly.... the axles will fit through all.... the 87-early 89 used a different hub, allowing for larger rotors & calipers in the rear compared to 85-86 and late 89).... the hubs in corolla's are similar, but have the additions for the tie rod ends

you can see the size of the axles here (on 15" wheels):

the larger flywheel (and it uses a much larger step, which can be seen):

and slightly off topic.... if you don't have a harness/ecu (or want something more performance oriented than the stock called for) then get ahold of me.... the gze's (i know for a fact the ae101's) respond quite well to the megasquirt setups.....

w/o proper tuning, i was able to easily walk away from even well-modified s/c mr2's running on mostly stock electronics

Post subject: Wow thanks
PostPosted: October 24, 2006, 10:44 pm 

Thanks so much for the interest and the help.
Haven't gotten to read it all yet but really wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it.

Post subject: Another Q
PostPosted: October 30, 2006, 4:41 pm 

So does anyone know where I can get a cheap 4agze computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30, 2006, 4:54 pm 

Ever consider megasquirt / megajolt a roll your own feul injection / spark solution?

Otherwise I would call around to a scraper/junk yard. Other have posted junk yard search engines where you specify the the part and searches many many junk yards they contact you with a price.

To err is human...

Post subject: What the Hell!
PostPosted: October 30, 2006, 11:04 pm 

Ok I got the ecu from a buddy and so I was having a good day. I was smiling and the birds were out and singing.
I thought to myself "oh, joyous day. I might as well order my axles too", but when I got on the net to find a nice set of axles I find that every parts dealer only carries the passenger side!
I have called 12 parts dealer and even the onse with web sites saying they have bother say "oh, sorry sir, we only have the passenger side".
I mean wtf mate. I'm not worried about it. I know I can get them of some carrolla but damn man. You'd think it would be easier to spend your money. Does anyone know why they only carry the passenger side?

Thanks for the megasquirt input. Interesting stuff but I am leaving the engine alone (stock) until I have tested my chassis and suspension set up and retuned it. Besides my buddy got me a stock ecu cheap.

Also found a great ebay store with alot of useable parts.

Thanks for all your input.

Oh yeah, to day at work I realized I should give the project car a name so I wont keep having to reffer to it as "the project car".
I was thinking about something along the lines of Arrow or bullet... something that sounds smooth and agile. Mongoose is already taken :(.
My buddy is stuck on Ninja but thats just to corny and people would think I was making a motorcycle.
Raptor... Spear.... Lance... dart(taken and kinda weak)... Sheiken(conry as ninja)... Archer(kinda like it, would fit a high top speed car better)... Rogue(kinda like this one too, agile and sneaky :))

I was also think since its built of the MR2 and the MR2 stands for mid engine rear drive two seater, I could call mine the MR1; mid engine rear drive 1 seater. I think this sounds the most practical and least silly.

One of my drunker frieds suggested "the booty spanker"... I don't think that will help me get it registered. lol

Thanks again.

Post subject: Back to the real subject
PostPosted: November 1, 2006, 5:10 pm 

I got a ecu but now can't find axle assembly for the drivers side. Anyone give me a hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1, 2006, 5:22 pm 

Did you look on www.car-part.com ?

Last edited by chetcpo on November 15, 2006, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: November 2, 2006, 1:31 pm 

Thanks for the tip on car-parts.com. The site says they have a match but when I called there was no answer. I'll try again today.

9:18 am 11/2/06 my ECU arrives, delivered by a cute little UPS lady... then she smiled and had braces with rubber bands going every which way :x . But thats besides the point.

The ECU was in good shape. No dents and all the threaded holes into the unit had be covered by electricians tape. The bracets were still attatched and showed no damage. I don't need the bracets but in other pictures of ECUs it looks like the hulk just yanked it out of the car.
Also, the plastic wire plugs were included. After buying it I read a bunch of posts on MR2CO's message board saying the people will sell their units without them and then charge you a bunch to get them... asses.

All in all a good morning. It's like getting presents left on your door step :P

IF anyone else knows where I can get the axles for the 88-89 mr2 supercharged, please let me know.

Post subject: damn
PostPosted: November 2, 2006, 5:57 pm 

So I got a hold of the guys in the link above and they too had no idea as to how to get them...
Would a dealership be able to find them? Aren't they required to supply replacement parts?
Might as well try.
Thanks again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next