LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 2:12 pm 
I've seen bellhousing which mate a Ford 2.3L duratec to a VW transaxle. This sounds like a nice way to setup a mid engine RWD car. The problem is that I don't have a clue about VW transaxles. I've also looked at www.mendeolatransaxles.com for some aftermarker/upgraded setups (quite expensive). As I understand VW has both IRS and swingarm transaxles. I'm interested only in the true IRS ones.
How much torque can I expect the stock VW transaxle to handle reliably? Bus transaxle?
How does the shifter linkage work?
How expensive are axles? What variety of hubs can I use with VW axles? Where can I get upgraded axles? Can I buy or easily build axles to fit other hubs?
How does the axle avoid binding with suspension travel? Does the splined end at the hub have a slip joint?
Where are good sources for the bellhousing/clutch? I haven't been able to find any prices.
The Mendeola transaxles are setup for offroad and sandrail use. Therefore they have very low gearing. What are the ratios in a stock VW transaxle? I assume the ratios depend on the donor vehicle.
I've done quite a bit of web searching, but I was hoping there was someone on the board with more expertise. I'm considering building a mild mannered car with a stock VW transaxle and a stock 2.3 Duratec. This should let me see how well I like the setup before I drop the few thousand on an aftermarket transaxle.

Many thanks
-Andy

Post subject: Search 550 Spyder forums
PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 4:55 pm 
www.spyderclub.com can answer a lot of your questions. They (mostly own, but some build) Porsche 550 Replicas which are mid engined RWD.

Where did you see the bell housing? It sounds interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4, 2005, 7:58 pm 

wouldn't a 914 transaxle work better for mid engine design? Also check in 1966 and up Corvair ones - flipped upside down they were used for mid engineed Corv8 conversions.

Check into Kennedy Engineering too - they have piles of VW adaptors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2005, 2:43 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Sorry to sounds like a jackass, but are we talking old bug/transporter RWD transaxels or are we talking modern Golf/GTI/Bug FWD transaxels?
What year range generally?
I have a 2.3 Duratec...I just wanna understand if I am understanding what you are saying correctly. Sigh it is late ish here too...
Please clarify.
Reread Motherpost and UNDERSTAND now RWD. Early Models....50's-05's bug trans RWD.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2005, 12:32 pm 
This all got started when I found the Mendeola web site. The site mentions that some of their transaxles use a VW style case and bolt pattern. This got me thinking I could use a cheap junkyard VW transaxle and duratec to build a 1st generation car. Then if I liked the design I could upgrade the engine and transaxle to get good performance. If I didn't like the design I wouldn't be out $6k for the good transaxle. My end goal is a 2.3L (or big bore 2.5L) turbo duratec at about 300HP.
I will have to dig through my bookmarks at home and see if I can find a link for the duratec to VW bellhousing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2005, 2:54 pm 

Andy

I used a VW transaxle behind a Ford V6 which made about 160 to 170 HP and did not have any problems. The ring gear must be changed over to the opposite side to use it in a mid-engine. The only up grade was welding the pressed-in center section of the lower gears. For the linkage I just made a walking beam type rear lever with small adjusting rod ends to reverse the shifter motions. Look at some of the sand buggies web site for some good ideas.
Good luck on the Mid-engine Dave W

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10, 2006, 7:13 pm 
nanosleep wrote:
I will have to dig through my bookmarks at home and see if I can find a link for the duratec to VW bellhousing.

Sorry for the very late reply.
http://www.quad4rods.com/Duratec.htm has mention of adaptors for T5, VW type I, Hewland Mk8/Mk9, and Mendola trannys.

-Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 1:01 pm 
The vw transaxle is quite strong and can handle 200 hp with reinforced side plates. LSD can be had cheaply also. Kennedy makes the kits for just about anypopular engine to fit the bus, 901, 902,and vw beetle trannies. Mendeola is far too expensive to be mentioned in conjuction with locost thinking. Do yourselves a favor and pick up a copy of "hot vws" at your local grocery store or walmart. There are tons of parts for homebuilts, plus every porsche style tranny company advertises within.