LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 1:04 am 

so heres the start of my build i hate little honda civics and i own trucks and i use my trucks every day but there sometimes i dnt feel like driving them to get a thing of ice cream are going to see the fam etc and yes i love my trucks but sometimes if im not using them for work i just dnt want to drive them cuz it cost me 20 dollars to get to town and back. so i want to build a morgen 3 wheeler replica as best i can do but im gona challege my self under 500 dollars i have a few donor motorcycles and maybe a 4 wheeler so theres a good start all of the bikes where free if i use them there all 650 honda i want more power i got tires everywhere in my yard haha gf really loves my junk yard haha, i got a vw front end that i might use but i might build my own front end i im trying to figure out the diminshions of a morgen right now not having any luck. will post pics of me starting to build the frame. so u guys think i can build it under 500 i want this to be a example to some people out there that u dnt need 5k to have a little fun or a lot of fun haha. ps sorry about my bad righting im on my cell phone right now computer is dwn and i keep hiting 2 buttons at once,

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 3:00 am 

ebsjunk707 wrote:
im trying to figure out the diminshions of a morgen right now not having any luck.
I was going to send you a PM with this eye rolling smiley -> :roll: and a comment such as "Don't they have google on your planet?" or something equally welcoming. But then I tried finding specs of Morgan Threes both modern and archaic, and I'll be dipped if I could find any either. So instead of being rude, I'll say "Good luck with that project, it certainly qualifies as non-traditional," and instead of an eye roller, I shall close with a :D

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 3:32 am 

maybethiscanhelpyououtwiththedimensionshaha ...

http://morgan3w.de/technic/technic.htm

from..
http://morgan3w.de/index.htm

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 8:46 am 

All those words, with only 4 periods, 2 commas and no capital letters, makes it extremely difficult to read let alone understand.

Is this what you were looking for?

http://morgan3wheeler.us/specs

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 10:08 am 

Thanks for your help guys. sorry about that bad righting only 2 more days and I have my computer back:). I was wondering if anyone whould try to be a smart ass and tell me to look on google but there not much out there for these little things. i even sent a email to morgen asking for measurements. they sent back where not aloud to give frame measurements away:(. does anyone have any pics of someone building a replica. ive seen a few on here but none of them are finish yet

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 11:49 am 

ebsjunk707 wrote:
but there not much out there for these little things.

I just looked and there's plenty out there, you just need to think about what your search criteria is.

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 9:18 pm 

try looking for morgan aero, vintage morgan or morgan three wheeler, and get the spelling right.

here we go on moving pillar suspension again!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 10:31 pm 

The first paragraph has some basic dimensions,

http://www.morgan3w.de/technic/technic.htm

By the way the 2012 three wheeler uses front "A" arms!!

PostPosted: August 3, 2012, 12:38 pm 
Always Moore!

Do the dimensions need to be exact? Any reason you couldn't shoot to get the look and make the chassis and everything else fit you and your donor(s)?

(I'm going to move this to the Building Non-Traditionally discussion section for now - when you start cutting metal definitely start a build log.)

PostPosted: August 3, 2012, 1:50 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
try looking for morgan aero, vintage morgan or morgan three wheeler, and get the spelling right.

here we go on moving pillar suspension again!

My meaning was parameters such as "rebuild', "build log", "restoration", "replica" etc...

Funny enough there's a website called "The Sliding Pillar" - guess what car ...

http://www.slidingpillar.co.uk/

Last edited by cheapracer on August 3, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 3, 2012, 1:56 pm 

This might make it easier to read. :D

ebsjunk707 wrote:
so heres the start of my build i hate little honda civics and i own trucks and i use my trucks every day but there sometimes i dnt feel like driving them to get a thing of ice cream are going to see the fam etc and

yes i love my trucks but sometimes if im not using them for work i just dnt want to drive them cuz it cost me 20 dollars to get to town and back. so

i want to build a morgen 3 wheeler replica as best i can do but im gona challege my self under 500 dollars

i have a few donor motorcycles and maybe a 4 wheeler so theres a good start all of the bikes where free if i use them there all 650 honda i want more power

i got tires everywhere in my yard haha gf really loves my junk yard haha,

i got a vw front end that i might use but i might build my own front end i

im trying to figure out the diminshions of a morgen right now not having any luck.

will post pics of me starting to build the frame. so u guys think i can build it under 500 i want this to be a example to some people out there that u dnt need 5k to have a little fun or a lot of fun haha.

ps sorry about my bad righting im on my cell phone right now computer is dwn and i keep hiting 2 buttons at once,
$500 ?? A lot of the cost for some builds depends on how many tools they had to buy. If you've got enough pre-owned stuff and tools then the cost should be pretty low.

The old VW front end is pretty heavy considering how light the rest of the vehicle could be. Even Morgan went to front A arms on the latest 3 wheel offering.

What would be nice is if you have a shaft drive bike to use as a donor. That would solve a lot of the how to get the power from the front to the rear and you wouldn't have to come up with your own method. Although the picture of the old Morgan with those very long drive belts on the outside of the body looked interesting. :shock:

Morgan used so many different engines through the years that even a boxer engine might not look out of place and would lower the C/G.

PostPosted: August 3, 2012, 2:29 pm 

olrowdy_01 wrote:

What would be nice is if you have a shaft drive bike to use as a donor. ..
Morgan used so many different engines through the years that even a boxer engine might not look out of place and would lower the C/G.

I always thought an early EA pushrod series Subaru engine with the simple, single ratio 4WD box would make for a good 3 wheel drive Reverse Trike.

PostPosted: August 8, 2012, 1:08 am 

The layout of an English design called JZR would be worth a look. It's at jzrpa.com, based on Honda shaft drive bikes CX V twin or ST V4, I've seen one here in Australia it's very Morgan-ish. They sell kits but not for $500!

David