LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 20, 2024, 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 2:36 pm 

4th

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 2:36 pm 

5th

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 20, 2014, 2:37 pm 

6th

7th

last one for now

PostPosted: February 21, 2014, 2:50 pm 

robert9004 wrote:
first pic

Tubes don't need pillows!
Were you able roll the tubes your self? Looking good man!

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: February 24, 2014, 6:46 pm 

Haha, but my knees do when the garage is cold! My tiny propane heater doesn't do too much.
Yea, I bought a Harbor Freight tubing roller. Got them almost spot on the same, I was impressed. Did have to weld on a tube at the end and have someone keep it straight though.
So this weekend wasn't as productive as I hoped, too many friends bombarding me for birthday, oh well.
However I did finalize all my engine mounts! note the slack in the engine lift, happy moment.

PostPosted: March 3, 2014, 6:42 pm 

So this weekend was finally of the classic, problematic type. Figured out that the rotors that I have bought won't work in the rear because I overlooked the rotor thickness to the wilwood dynapro, then the fronts don't work because the caliper hits the rim because of the rims design, should be able to use a 10mm spacer to remedy that luckily. Ball bearing broke while pressing it into the upright, but modified the upright clearance and now it works. Bungs couldn't be turned down to proper diameter, etc. But nevertheless, got the upright design finalized, will order the parts I need and will go from there.

PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 11:45 am 

Does anyone know where I can get some rotors with a 4x100 lug pattern, rotor thickness under .38 and approximately 2 inch offset?

PostPosted: March 4, 2014, 12:11 pm 

robert9004 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get some rotors with a 4x100 lug pattern, rotor thickness under .38 and approximately 2 inch offset?

early Miata rears are 9mm thick, 22.5mm from inside of mounting surface to rear rotor surface. ...seems to pretty much fill the bill unless you are looking for a big rotor. diameter is 9.25inch

PostPosted: March 5, 2014, 11:58 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:
robert9004 wrote:

early Miata rears are 9mm thick, 22.5mm from inside of mounting surface to rear rotor surface. ...seems to pretty much fill the bill unless you are looking for a big rotor. diameter is 9.25inch

Awesome! Thanks, I will look into that!

PostPosted: March 12, 2014, 3:59 pm 

So my roll bar is installed now, its completely overkill, the company preferred I would use their steel in case the DOM tubing I had would get kinked, etc. So its 2 inch outer diameter with a .180 wall. Heavy, yet something satisfying knowing you got fat steel above your head. Fabricated the rear uprights, couldn't finish them completely because steel shops are closed by the time I get back home on the weekends unfortunately. Tried tig welding some scrap aluminum I had with three different filler rods and none worked, not looking good for the aluminum gas tank I need to make. Makes me wish I had a nice foot pedal Miller TIG machine. I might start using TIG for the rest of the frame, still debating, MIG works and it's nice and fast.
Exchanged for different rims to allow for more clearance with the caliper issue I had, thank you customer service discounttire
Going on spring break in less than 2 weeks, can't wait, hopefully I'll have the car rolling after I finish buying some more parts by the end of my break. 10 days working in garage from 6 to 12 based off what my weekends look like, should be able to do it. Optimism!

PostPosted: March 14, 2014, 3:41 pm 

Finally found a company that will lengthen my axle for me, was getting worried I'd be bogged down by that this spring break, but looks like everything should be in order!