LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The GWTFFM
PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 12:23 am 

Got home from camp with some daylight left, so ended up making the MDF mockup adapter plate.

Used a spare rear iron to sanity check things.

Another view.

It looks like I'll be able to use the OEM Nissan starter bolts without modification, even with the 9.5mm spacer.

I had 2 holes with transposed dimensions, and 2 entirely missing, so the MDF did it's job for sure.

Bolted the flywheel back down, centered the clutch disc, and bolted on pressure plate.

Clearance hole for the driveshaft, just used the nearest hole saw for the mockup.

Transmission sitting on top of the engine again, for the umpteenth time.
Things lined up. :twisted:

The clearance of the jackshaft with the front cover and exhaust ports looks good, and I'm not going to split hairs trying to get it "perfect".
(Photo rotated 90° CCW from original)

The bolts I ordered come in later today, so I should be able to do a full all-fastener check Wednsday morning. :mrgreen:

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: June 4, 2016, 4:42 am 

Got a little further with the CAD model.
I decided to start making sure I could route the exhaust before finalizing the adapter plate and jackshaft brace.

I also made the starter spacer, but I have to wait till the phone charges to upload those photos.

06 325xi
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: June 5, 2016, 12:33 am 

How are you planning to route the exhaust? Up and over and out one side, or over the halfshaft and straight back?

Looking good so far!

PostPosted: June 5, 2016, 5:45 pm 

Up and over the jackshaft, with a T4 divided flange pretty much in the same position as in the wireframe/solid.

Plan is to design the powerplant package so that I know I can mate an exhaust system to it, and then worry about exhaust a bit more once I start making my rear suspension cocoon.

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 6, 2016, 3:56 am 

Thought I had photos from machining the starter spacer, looks like I forgot to take them. :oops:

I do have one of turning the OD of the centering boss down by 1mm.
Didn't feel like re-indicating it on the mill and setting up the boring head again, so I ID chucked it on the lathe and turned it down.
Had just enough swing to do it. :twisted:

For reference, that is a 6"x5" piece.

I didn't cut the outer profile fully yet, just wanted to see if things fit right first.

Test fit, with OEM Nissan starter bolts.

I popped the starter and spacer onto the transmission, and c-clamped things tight for a test run. Everything turned over just peachy, and it looks like my next battle is release bearing and clutch fork.

I did find out that the RX7 non-turbo clutch fork will fit in the Nissan transmission if I use the RX7 pivot stud and space it out about 15mm. The Nissan slave cylinder can then be used as well.
Also confirmed that I can sleeve the release bearing guide to fit the 36mm ID RX7 release bearing.

That should eliminate my clutch throw problems, using OEM parts. :razz:
If not, a hydraulic release bearing may be in my future. :?

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 7, 2016, 7:00 pm 

I decided to have some fun, and dream...

Generic "T3 turbo" model from grabcad.

I did get the clutch fork pivot spacer machined, just never got any photos or a test fit.

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 8, 2016, 8:15 am 

I did another test fit, and the Mazda fork + pivot spacer idea won't do the trick, for multiple reasons I'm not going to bore you with. Got bit by not having the complete assembly in CAD, again. :BH:

I decided to go the easy way out, throw more money at it, and just buy the speedway #91025610 GM Muncie hydraulic throwout bearing.

Should fit like a glove, once I machine an adapter sleeve for the release bearing guide to go from 33mm to 1.375in. 8)

$113.9 5 after 2 day shipping, a $10 off $100 promo code, and adding in a seal rebuild kit for good measure.

Now I won't have to deal with clutch fork drama, or machining physically impossible self intersecting revolved parts, but I trade that for clutch bleeding hell and the very real chance of leaks.

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 9, 2016, 8:09 pm 

So, starter spacer has been fully trimmed.

The pilot shaft sleeve has been machined.

Before:

After:

Just need some loctite 680 and I'll be good to go.

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 13, 2016, 4:36 am 

Got the hydraulic release cylinder in the mail on Friday, the 680 came in on Saturday, and the sleeve went in Sat night.

No pics, plum forgot to take any.

I still need to measure and confirm clearance to the pressure plate fingers, but it looks to be within the .1-.2" clearance allowed, without shims.

Hoses should clear the pressure plate, and I can use a regular bolt in the pivot studs location for anti-rotation. Joy.

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 18, 2016, 8:30 am 

300D50 wrote:
No pics, plum forgot to take any.

I bought an inexpensive camera just for the shop. Even then, I built three transmissions before I had enough pictures for a reasonable how-to-do-it web page...

PostPosted: June 21, 2016, 7:58 pm 

Remote bleed/hose kit for the release cylinder/bearing came in, along with the M10x1 to -4AN adapter.

If I remember to (hah, if I have TIME to... :roll: ), I'll grab one of my spare clutch pedal assemblies and give her a test with the MDF adapter.
It should hold for what I'm checking, if it doesn't, it's all the more reason to get off my arse and machine the final plate.

06 325xi

PostPosted: July 12, 2016, 2:31 am 

Ordered a 15mm endmill and a set of 90° countersinks, should be in Wednesday.

I found a way to machine the critical alignment holes in the limited amount of Y axis travel I have on the bridgeport at home, and I've come to terms with using transfer punches and the drill press for the non-critical holes.

Learn to embrace the lack of precision where it doesn't matter. Still cringe when you end up doing it that way.
Realize that you can always recycle aluminum if you mess up royal.

06 325xi

PostPosted: July 12, 2016, 12:45 pm 

300D50 wrote:
Realize that you can always recycle aluminum if you mess up royal.

That was not a finished part you just made,
it was a pattern..... for the real part!

Once you have made 1 the second always comes faster and better.

PostPosted: July 12, 2016, 5:04 pm 

Oh, I didn't mess up, I haven't even started yet. :Mrgreen:

I'm just going through the mental prep work to cut a few hundred bucks in aluminum.

06 325xi

PostPosted: July 26, 2016, 7:21 pm 

Try to come off a common reference point as much as possible. Be careful of tolerance stacking when you don't.

Production machine shops try to arrange for minimum number of setups to increase efficiency. For one-offs, it's often best to try to arrange for the "most likely to create scrap" cuts as early to try to avoid scrapping a part with a lot of machining in it already.

I've been known to use notepaper or file cards with sketches of each setup and its cuts in sequential order.

Even when you know what you're doing, it's possible to get tunnel vision and cut away some area you desperately need in order to locate the next op...

It might be best to keep the outside square as long as possible. Once you're test fitted it, you can use the bandsaw, mill, or just chain drill to remove the unwanted outside metal and finish it on a spindle sander. That sort of thing is where CNC shines, but you can do it manually if that's what you have available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next