LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 7:49 am 

I am in the planning stages of building a low cost cruiser to turn heads and the like. I am considering 2 engines the ej207 or the 1.8 miata engine but I am considering midengined, would it be easier to convert a VW 002 or 094 transaxle to MR and mount the 1.8 or to lock the subaru trans in fwd?

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 9:34 am 

You can cap the tailshaft housing of a later model 5 speed, or just find a Subaru FWD transmission. The EJ series motors all used a universal bellhousing pattern, along with the EZ and EG. If I had my druthers, I would pick up an EZ30/EG33, to a 94-95 legacy FWD transmission for a mid mount build. EG33 made 230HP, naturally aspirated, and is only 2" longer depth wise than its four cylinder counterpart.

Plus you don't have to worry about the extra peripherals of the 207, and you won't pay through the nose for them.

You cant touch a 207/harness/ecu for less than 2500 in usable condition. The eg33 can be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 2:13 pm 

really now, I know the EJ's can get really expensive. but the EZ motors have NO aftermarket, did they ever come with forced induction?

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 2:30 pm 

The Subaru is the easier of the two options. It involves a small spool that replaces the center diff and locks the counter shaft to the front drive shaft as well as a block off plate that replaces the center differential housing and rear output shaft.

You might also want to consider the the 1.8t and transaxle from a B5 Passat. Reasonable cost, plenty of aftermarket support, and no adapter plates or FWD conversions needed. As an example, Westfield used them in the back of their XTR4 track day cars. It looks nice back there, IMO.
Attachment:
westfield-xtr4-07.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 3:00 pm 

It depends what specific characteristics are important to you in a cruiser. For me personally, powerful does not in and of itself mean interesting, and interesting would be more important than powerful. Anything over 200hp would be more than sufficient. The uncommonly sweet sound of an H6 with the right exhaust setup, and the DIY'ness of the necessary custom bits to do it with minimal aftermarket support, would certainly turn my head a lot more violently than that of a turbo Subie H4 or Mazda I4....Regardless of how much of the engine has the potential to look like an aftermarket parts catalog threw up on it.

To the original question: My intuition would be that keeping the direct engine/trans compatibility and locking the center diff would be easier than mating a modernish Mazda engine to an old 4-speed VW transaxle flipped upside down, but I've never tried either.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 3:13 pm 

The EG33 has more aftermarket than you think.. but not as much off the shelf stuff as you would probably like. 200whp in a 1400 lb car is borderline lunacy.

Companies like Delta will do cam grinds for you. I mean all the EG33 is, is an ej22 with two extra cylinders, a different crank and a chain drive for timing. Pistons, rods, valves... are all interchangeable with the ej25 stuff.

Weight wise, the two extra cylinders will net you a total wet weight of 350ish lbs.

The ej205/207, complete with turbo and peripherals, weighs in at 350ish lbs.

They (Subaru H6) never came with forced induction, but running a turbo/ supercharger at low boost levels is not out of the question if you're really hungry for more power.

Any turbo EJ on stock internals that is pushing over 275 whp is most likely a time bomb to begin with. I've joined the spun bearing club on three motors across three Subaru's.

FYI.. this is an EG33 with a little bit of work done, pistons, cam, tune on a notoriously low reading dyno... spinning to 8300rpm..

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 9:23 pm 
Toyotaphobe

gregk wrote:
The Subaru is the easier of the two options. It involves a small spool that replaces the center diff and locks the counter shaft to the front drive shaft as well as a block off plate that replaces the center differential housing and rear output shaft.

You might also want to consider the the 1.8t and transaxle from a B5 Passat. Reasonable cost, plenty of aftermarket support, and no adapter plates or FWD conversions needed. As an example, Westfield used them in the back of their XTR4 track day cars. It looks nice back there, IMO.
Attachment:
westfield-xtr4-07.jpg

Not to derail his thread, but what ecu would you use to run the VW? Megasquirt is against my religion so is there a way to use the stock ecu? I'd heard there were issues due to many things you'd want to eliminate being required to keep it out of limp mode.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 10:12 pm 

gregk wrote:

Attachment:
westfield-xtr4-07.jpg

Wow, that does look good in there. I just checked Craigslist local to me and you can get the VW and Audi conterpart B5's for dirt cheap, for the whole car! 1-2 thousand and some with the turbo 5 speed! The whole car!

I see a future project coming on.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 10:41 pm 

Why are you ignoring the popular and plentiful Focus/Duratec engine and trans?

Or do you not want a transverse motor?

It seems like a transverse would make a shorter car.

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 11:04 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Bent Wrench wrote:
Why are you ignoring the popular and plentiful Focus/Duratec engine and trans?

Or do you not want a transverse motor?

It seems like a transverse would make a shorter car.

It would but it complicates suspension set up due to the fact so much of the weight is located so close to the rear axle. Kinda like a FWD weight distribution in reverse only this time it's oversteer you have to tame instead of understeer.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: February 6, 2016, 5:19 pm 

carguy you hit the nail on the head. Transverse adds too much weight right at the back. Those subie 3.3's are great from what i can tell, I know 200hp would be ludicrous thanks for helping me decide on a motor and trans for the build. Now I can move into a suspension design. thanks for the help as always guys!

PostPosted: February 7, 2016, 4:06 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Without going back and rereading I may be repeating something already covered, let me suggest the gas tank be longitudinal as well, ala MR2, but place a little further forward than in the MR2, more at your knees forward. Still between the axles but putting some more weight on the front/mid rather than rear mid.

Yes, the weight will vary with tank fill so isn't a 100% balance in weight, but it also lets you put pumps on the front side for easier access.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: February 10, 2016, 9:51 am 

I've got the driveline from a Porsche 924 that I am working on pulling out of the car. I don't know if that would be of any interest. It is a 4 speed transaxle in the car and I have an extra 5 speed transaxle. I think it is a good setup to cut down the torque tube and adapt to a 1.8t. The motor in the car is a gutless 70's wonder, but with a more modern powerplant, it sure would make a fun middy.

PostPosted: February 10, 2016, 11:32 am 
The voice of reason

I think the motor would bolt right to that bellhousing. There might be some change in that bellhousing that will make trouble for a throwout bearing though...