LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: July 5, 2016, 10:36 pm 

Went to a local car show here with the idea of scoping out windshield options. Vette looks a bit tall and wide for my car. The 53 is pretty close, about 3" wider than needed. The MGB looked like a pretty good option, and one imagines a bit less spendy than the Vette.

I saw a race prepped 911 for sale there. Weird thing was the radiator in the nose. Not sure why. Monster size oil cooler? Got some pictures of the set up. Might copy it if I go front radiator.

Some other interesting cars - an elephant motor charger, a 1928 Stutz (sorry, no clue on models), an SL300, a flock of C2 Corvettes ( seemed like a convention), a CBX for the bike enthusiasts, and the usual assortment of pleasant non rarities from the two AH 3000s to an Alfa spider to a bone stock model A.

So, a couple of ideas, some nice cars and a few people trying to sell me on a new(old) Corvette.

Terry

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 11:21 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Monster size oil cooler?
That would be my guess. 911s had huge oil capacities, like 12-15 quarts for an oil change, IIRC.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 8, 2016, 6:35 am 

Still do JD. The 996 (first of the water cooled 911s) has ~10 quarts. This racing job had what looked to have one of our Civic radiators out front and vented up over the hood like a GT40. I am sure that bad boy could cool a lotta oil in a hurry.

PostPosted: July 9, 2016, 7:34 am 

How about Sunbeam Alpine glass?

The glass is available from Victoria British for about $150. It is 48" wide and 16" tall.

Bill

PostPosted: July 9, 2016, 7:39 am 

Awesome Bill! Thanks for the idea!

Was settling I no the idea of Porsche Speedster glass. V short, pretty big curvature. This is a great, and importantly less expensive option.

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 11:49 pm 

Been a weird week. Fell out with a friend, had a great two day offsite at work, boss lost his father, a rental house had issues, I got called 200 miles away to investigate a gas leak that was not a gas leak, or so far as I could tell, any problem at all, daughter's goggles fell off during a swim meet race. Twice!

And we pulled the engine out of the Lexus. Dismantalus and his son came down from his idyllic abode, whence Sevens are produced with 8 cylinder propulsion, to help. Actually, to do the main part, such as bring all the key tools, from saws all to cherry picker, saw the exhaust in two, and generally get dirty.

Now, for JD it must be noted that this is New Jersey. There were no goats injured, nor seen in plain fact. But we did see an unusual automotive beast. The donor is a donor for good reason, of course. In this case, the half shaft apparently had separated from the trans, and then proceeded to put a hole in said trans.

Nice lookin gears, so maybe no structural damage, but wow, we now know why the underside of the engine was such a mess.

Oh, and the VIN doesn't match the car. It does, however, match a Lexus LS300, so maybe I am good to go.

Like I said, weird week. Pictures at 11. Or tomorrow when there is light enough to do so.

PostPosted: July 15, 2016, 8:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Now, for JD it must be noted that this is New Jersey. There were no goats injured, nor seen in plain fact.
Are you trying to tell me that there are no goats in your part of New Jersey? How sad... :(

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 16, 2016, 2:25 pm 

better late than never. Enclosed is a pic of the hole in the trans. Niiiice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 16, 2016, 2:33 pm 

And for JD, I realize this is a late response, but we, in NJ, do not keep goats in our garages. Not even the driveway most times. We are, however, experimenting with new places for them.

Admittedly, this is no tower, but we are experimenting, and some day we may catch up to the leaders in the field, so to speak.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 8:20 am 
We are Slotus!

What do the conveyor belt thingies do?

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 8:40 pm 

Active farm with petting zoo. This is so chumps with kids (me, for example), pay 50 cents for a mouthful of goat food, put it on the conveyor to the goat tower.

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 10:14 pm 

Well, I did some figurin with vsusp (thanks!) and came up with something I'd like to share, but the link is a mile long. Anyone help me post a link? I'd like your opinions.

Meantime, some data points to help. Front track is 60", rear is 64". Crazy, I know, but all that weight behind, I thought I'd tame it right out of the box. Besides, it makes building the rear frame much easier, and gives me the option of side radiators.

Front roll center 2.3", rear just under 5"

Rear RC hardly moves under roll. X-axis shift of just over 1" with a tire at max bump, and less than two inches with 5 degrees of roll. Camber changes less than 0.9* with 5 degrees of roll. Gains 1.2 degrees of camber at 1" of bump. That seemed like a lot until I started looking at others in the suspension design thread.

Finally, I'm not sure I'm happy with the front. Front suspension gains ~O.9 degrees per inch of bump, and 2.3 degrees of camber at 5 degrees of roll. Roll center moves around a lot up front though. 70" with 3" of bump. 14" with 5 degrees of roll.

Ideas?

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 10:43 pm 

Dang. Just got the harbor freight catalog. Portaband saw is $99. About $40 less than I paid. I love it. Doesn't do angled cuts, but slices erw tube quickly and easily. Don't know about longevity, but so far, it is highly recommended.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 9:59 pm 

OK, I think I finalized the suspension. I have to go in and check that I got the right numbers for the uprights, but if so, this looks like where I will end up. Nice too, because I think I can fit it all in the frame. 8)

Please let me know your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you guys who actually know something about suspension design.

Terry

Current design: http://tinyurl.com/jcs6u4g

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 10:50 pm 

Dismantalus wanted his engine hoist back, which kicked me back into gear, so I built the perimeter frame for the engine bay today. That was easy. Getting the engine back on the table in a way I could fab up engine mounts, that was painful. Metal studs just arent built for side loading, so care is required to ensure the table stays stable, especially since the engine mounts need to be free for fabrication.

But the engine hoist issue is cleared and I'm ready for the nest steps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next