LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Bauhaus bodied V6 middie
PostPosted: May 8, 2016, 4:19 pm 

With a build table up and the first melting of steel behind me, it is time to start a build log.

The objective is learning, for both myself and my oldest daughter, who wants to grow up to be a scientist. I figure with the number of experiments we will have to execute by the time it is completed, she will be well on her way.

The automotive target is a transverse V6 powered mid-engined 2.5 seater (bench seat so I can take 2 of the 3 girls in the house for a ride). The idea for the body is to capitalize on ideas here, like the split-screen truck windshield to make longer trips more comfy, and a full body because, well, just because.

Just which body to choose is something to worry about later, but the mind does wander. The Lalo is sweet. The more recent Fury-esque designs are awesome. But in for a penny, in for a pound. Since this is a learning exercise, I am currently thinking to cut my own path and learn some frp work as well. I really liked the stubby, Bauhaus look of the Audi TT, and the theme looks doable in the rank amateur sort of way. OK, not really, but I am a rank amateur and want to minimize unnecessary curves.

Since I am in NJ, I am looking to put in a 1995 or older Toyota V6, since they came with manual trans (key for registration), they are bomb-proof, and they can be upgraded easily to the 2GR-FE monster.

Frame is in 1.25 14 ga steel. Yes, heavier, but there is that V6...

I have no illusions I will finish it, least of all before the end of the decade (which one?). It would be nice, of course, but I am going for the journey, and plan to spend a little time every day on the car, in the hope that someday, like my thesis before it, it will get completed.

PostPosted: May 16, 2016, 9:25 pm 

The driveline fairy arrived today, bringing a mildly used Toyota 3VZ-FE, and E153 manual transmission, but witha whole Lexus ES300 attached! It's Christmas in car town today.

In a Relatively short while, the Lexus will be separated from its heart, lose its brain, eyes, seats and random miscellany, and most of what is left will find its way to the scrap yard.

I know, no pictures or there is no proof of the driveline fairy. But soon, her gossamer wings will grace these pages for all to see.

Happy building!
Terry

PostPosted: May 16, 2016, 9:56 pm 

Congratulations on starting an incredible journey. It is a lot of fun building a car, we all learn lots and love to share. I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this site. It seems no matter the question asked you get a response along the lines of "Pull up a tire, take a load off and let me tell you all about the time I......."

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: May 16, 2016, 10:01 pm 

Thanks. I get that this is crazy...wait, I'm talking to guys who are doing this, so let me rephrase...I get that this is a big undertaking, and I cannot begin to tell you how important it is to have all of you along for the coaching, cheering and constructive suggestions. I too can see how valuable that advice is. In fact, without Dismantalus, I'd wouldn't own a welder, wouldn't have a build table or the startings of a frame. Co-dependency is a critical success factor. :cheers:

PostPosted: May 18, 2016, 8:56 pm 

Evidence of the driveline fairy. Well, her gift wrapping and her used book dealer skills, at any rate. Next up, destruction.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 30, 2016, 11:18 pm 

Long weekend during which, Dismantalus dropped off a load of 3/4 and 1.25" tube, cut some of it for triangulation (marginally successful), I figured out the front suspension pick up points, cut some more steel for the front box, went to a Kung fu tournament, and figured out the wheelbase. Not in that exact order, but close enough. Pictures at 11. Or when I get the front section tacked up. So, maybe this week, maybe next weekend.

PostPosted: June 15, 2016, 7:51 pm 

Well, we have been 3D for a while. Figuring out the front end, and working my way back. Some photos, which show how early I am in the frame.

Box of shingles standing in for fuel cell, at least showing how much room I have on the drivers side of the forward bay.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 15, 2016, 7:53 pm 

Hmmm. I repeat myself. Well, here is a mid (no rear available) 3/4 view.

I think you can see the ceiling height issues. Dismantalus worries about getting beaned by the hvac ducts when he comes over.

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 8:42 pm 

OK, I am doing real well with pictures. Or not.

Anyway, today was both fantastic and disappointing. Fantastic in that I lost track of time completely while working on the car. For me, this project is to do something with my hands, something I haven't done for more than 15 years when I stopped working at the bench and started being a consultant/office grind. To have gotten lost in something physical is a blessing.

The downside is that 3 hours only got me 3 tubes cut, fitted and tacked. Progress to be sure. This gave me triangulation of the main rectangle (yeah, I'm not going traditional, so the passenger compartment is just a big box). But fast progress? Not so much.

Tomorrow brings serious destruction of the donor, if I can get the time. And while that is happening, I need materials for suspension. Jack? Are you there Jack? 8)

PostPosted: June 17, 2016, 9:22 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Omterry wrote:
...The downside is that 3 hours only got me 3 tubes cut, fitted and tacked...

No, that's actually very normal, 30-minute prep per end.

PostPosted: June 18, 2016, 3:17 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Omterry wrote:
...The downside is that 3 hours only got me 3 tubes cut, fitted and tacked...

No, that's actually very normal, 30-minute prep per end.

Hmmm. Agree entirely. Maybe I should have said that I was surprised because it felt like the first tube took the normal time (I checked and it did), but the last two tubes felt like a half hour total. Time flies when you are having fun!

PostPosted: June 30, 2016, 10:18 pm 

Well, I decided I just could not stand the weight of the Lexus seats. Sure, they came with the donor, and they have heating, but the weight of the motors and what not is a killer. So tonight I picked up a decent, if not beautiful set of Miata seats for $30. Added at least 50 lbs of lightness, and who knows, maybe CL will give me $30 for the Lexus seats.

Plans for the weekend to free the Engine from the confines of its donor. I can feel it call to me, "Terry! Free me from my chains! Bust me out of this aging pedestrian jail so I can fly with the beautiful locosts!" Yep. That's what it's sayin.

PostPosted: July 1, 2016, 10:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I can feel it call to me, "Terry! Free me from my chains! Bust me out of this aging pedestrian jail so I can fly with the beautiful locosts!" Yep. That's what it's sayin.
Reallllly... It's talking to you, is it??? Hmmmm...... Uhhhh, do me a favor and don't Bogart that one, pass it this way... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 1, 2016, 10:58 pm 

Ha! Not the response I expected, since no goats were involved, but glad to know talking engines and flying locosts get your attention JD.

To my chagrin (more accurately, the wife's, given how much it sped the work), I just found Paul Wood's illustrated guide to ripping the heart out of a V6 Camry. Will be completing surgery on this bad boy in a few hours, plus whatever it takes to get Dismantalus down for the, um, dismantling. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 3, 2016, 9:34 am 

OK, so I knew the donor had been "worked on", but how poorly is really a testament.

They lowered it to ~4", which means the subframe had some scrapes. Not too bad, actually, but not great either.

Two motor mounts were not attached. Seriously.

The pass side half shaft has two, count em, bolts attaching them. Out of how many I don't know top of mind, but at least 6 and I think 8.

That said, all the main bolts came out without too much persuasion. Going after the help shaft bolts today. Didn't have an Allen wrench socket.

Lots of oil, so she needs some TLC on seals, but killing these motors takes professional help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next