LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 7, 2022, 2:49 am 

Good lord I've put off actual progress on this for far too long....

Getting everything unboxed and trying to push forward on this. I've been stacking projects in front of it for years now...

I'm getting a strut tower brace to accurately locate the upper strut towers from the center. What I'm trying to come up with is how I'm going to adjust the preload on the struts once I have the rest of the chassis built. I've see a 3-thread rod setup used before (DF Goblin), I was considering a sliding box for the strut with two threaded rods and adjustment nuts to raise or lower the box (and thus the preload).

I'm also waffling between building the entire drive unit as a single separable sub-unit in the rear, or putting some things in or more near the front (radiator, trans cooler, fuel tank, etc).

I have some of the metal acquired, working on cabin dimensions and will get some seats shortly.

Recently saw this guy's LS4 build, got me motivated again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDwhpA8KUZU&t=0s

PostPosted: June 7, 2022, 9:49 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Just start with sketches first, with scaled-down engine, transmission, and tire paper dolls. Make a scaled drawing of yourself, because other than the engine, you body shape dictates where a lot of other parts go. Just this step can take many months. That other stuff can wait until later.

PostPosted: September 20, 2023, 12:33 pm 

Another year+ gone by. I decided to throw caution to the wind a few weeks ago and just start sticking things together. Extremely raw roller at the moment, lots of reinforcing, wiring, final rear suspension mount, etc to go. I figured I can keep agonizing over ever-changing plans and ideas, or just get going, and learn from mistakes and what the real world tells me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 20, 2023, 4:38 pm 

Hi Jon,
Blocking out is really critical as the big stuff can't be forced into places it doesn't want to go, and the big conflicts are the showstoppers that need to be sorted as early as possible. Once you are done with the practical bit it is very wise to stand back and put the artistic hat on and get an idea of bodywork form. Even if you just drape some stitched welding wire body lines or cardboard panels over the critter and you should see what the end result will look like and if suits you goals. Good luck, I really would like to see this one on the road.
Cheers,
Marcus.