LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 6:43 am 

Thanks for you input so far and keep it coming............[/quote]

In the 1980s I used to own a yamaha XS 1100. This was an air cooled 4 cyl bike with a drive shaft. I think that the power was about 90 hp but I may be wrong. It was a lively bike. Your problem would of course be to set up an effective cooling system. The down side of shaft driven bikes as I recall was the elevator syndrome (the rear suspension would go up and down with throttle changes).

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 11:14 pm 

phil wrote:
The down side of shaft driven bikes as I recall was the elevator syndrome (the rear suspension would go up and down with throttle changes).

I read about that in the magazines, but my XJ650 Turbo didn't exhibit that behavior, even with the boost cranked up to 20psi.

One of the reviews of the XJ had an impressive description of how bad the "shaft jacking" was, apparently written by a journalist who hadn't actually ridden one...

PostPosted: April 30, 2018, 10:47 pm 

cool project 8) ... going to follow this with high interest :wink:

imho it screams for a late FJR 1300 engine shaft-feeding direct into a flipped Speedway Engineering baby IRS QC (FJR output rotates the opposite way then reg car engine)
the flipped QC would fix that problem , plus lower the cv flanges and allow you to fine tune final gear ratio in minutes ...
I would look into aluminum "Legends" spindles up front
maybe Jag/LS aluminum spindles in the back
I have looked into using the (sexy double shear mount) LS spindles myself , but abandoned the idea for now
super lightweight ... and wheel bearing id is the same as BMW hubs (930CV flanges ;) )
together with the 930 cv flanges of the QC your open for any axle lenght you desire (its basic dune buggy stuff)
need to take a pic of my mockup ....
btw
aluminum Mazdaspeed 3 brake calipers (with integral parking brake!) are a direct bolt on to the LS spindle bosses
(using the iirc 295mm x 9 mm mazdaspeed 3 disc)

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 6:27 pm 

[quote="Stephan"]cool project 8) imho it screams for a late FJR 1300 engine shaft-feeding direct into a flipped Speedway Engineering baby IRS QC (FJR output rotates the opposite way then reg car engine)
the flipped QC would fix that problem , plus lower the cv flanges and allow you to fine tune final gear ratio in minutes ...
[quote]

Now this could bring us back to the Goldwing powerplant, minus the driveshaft!

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 6:44 pm 

Stephan wrote:
imho it screams for a late FJR 1300 engine shaft-feeding direct into a flipped Speedway Engineering baby IRS QC

Ah yah, and only $3,118.00 as of today. :BH:
Not so Locost as other solutions.

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 7:05 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
Stephan wrote:
imho it screams for a late FJR 1300 engine shaft-feeding direct into a flipped Speedway Engineering baby IRS QC

Ah yah, and only $3,118.00 as of today. :BH:
Not so Locost as other solutions.

your right :ack: .... that is one of my problems (besides drinking a little too much :cheers: lol) ;
not every solution that would be really cool is actually affordable :BH:

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 7:25 pm 

Somewhere on here is another threads about light weight diff's.
I have CNC machines so I've contemplated making a custom carrier if I could find the right diff to put in it.

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 7:34 pm 

FYI
made some pics of my (abandoned & dusty :roll: ) Jag S/ Lincoln LS rear knuckle mockup

nice piece (love the double shear mounts) but at 6.75" from center to outside tie-rod arms its probably a no-go for rims under 15" :?
small and light Mazdaspeed 3 aluminum brake calipers with integral p-brake are a direct bolt on ...

my plan was to use a BMW medium case diff carrier with 930 flanges, 930 cv axles and redrilled (to 5x4.5") BMW axle flanges,
(that according to my online research seem to be the same od as the LS wheel bearing id)
would probably need a little spacer to position the Mazda 3 brake disc correctly
btw Heim rod end is a beefy 7/8 body with 3/4 ball that I was planning on due to the load of the coilovers on the LCA

PostPosted: May 16, 2018, 9:42 am 

I’ve been in FL since I picked-up this body and truthfully forgot that it’s even back home in the shop until last night. I had a friend and P-car enthusiast e-mail me asking how much I wanted for it. Apparently a friend of his, also a Porsche guy, has an interest in hanging it on his garage wall.

I’m trying to figure out what it is worth vs keeping it for a future project.

Decisions, decisions..........

PostPosted: May 23, 2018, 10:29 pm 

The Porsche guy who was interested in the body offered me $1000 for it as it sits, but that’s nowhere near what I’d let it go for. So, I’m keeping this body for a future project/build and have a GREAT idea! I ended up coming home from Florida a bit earlier than expected because my parents needed to get 2 cars home to PA and I volunteered to take one. I ended up driving their 2001 Porsche Boxster and when I came home, broke out the tape measure to see if my idea might work. From some rough measurements of the bodywork, it’s 33-1/2 to 34” from the bulkhead behind the driver to the centerline of the rear wheel opening. To my surprise, the measurement on the Boxster is 31”!!!! So, it looks like there is a chance that the engine and transaxle will fit lengthwise. There are other issues as far as the width goes, but further investigation needs to be done. The overall width of the Boxster is 70” and my body is 55”. I need get the car on the lift next week to look at the rear suspension, engine/transaxle mounting points and where it can lose 7-8” of width per side. After that, I need to see if there are going to be height issues.

I think that the Boxster driveline would be PERFECT, IF, it would fit.

If this doesn’t work out, is anyone here familiar with VW/Porsche engines? How about a Type 4 motor and transaxle set-up as mid-engine? That should fit without any issues.

I’m actually getting excited thinking about the possibilities!!!!!! A Porsche powered “Porsche scale replica”. Sound great if it could work out. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: May 23, 2018, 11:24 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Shorter custom axles won't derail the project

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 24, 2018, 7:26 am 

carguy123 wrote:
Shorter custom axles won't derail the project

Correct and that's going to be the way to achieve the desired track/width as well as possibly a bit different wheel offset. In order not to compromise the bodywork, I’m thinking that height is going to be the big hurdle since length and width seem to be do-able.