LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 9:24 pm 

Hello everyone I'm wanting to get into building a mid engine car, I already have a d16y8 motor out of a 1997 Honda Civic, and a transmission out of a 91 Civic, anyone know how the linkages are swapped around or how to do so? Maybe there is a set to do this? Thanks!

PostPosted: April 8, 2018, 12:53 am 

Are you dead set on using that transmission? That transmission normally uses two rods that connect the shifter to the back of the transmission, so in a mid-engine application, you would need to route your linkages over the top or underneath the transmission to get to the back of it, where the shifter inputs to the transmission are. This could be a bit tricky depending on how much stuff is in the way.

Newer Honda transmissions use two push-pull cables which are attached to the top of the transmission. This would make it easier to use push-pull cables from the shifter to the top of the transmission, without having to run linkages all the way to the back of the transmission.

If you still want to use the engine and transmission that you already have, I would recommend getting underneath a car equipped with your transmission and make notes of what positions the two input connections at the transmission are for each gear. At the risk of over simplifying it, you will then need to design your linkages such that the shifter position in the car produces the same transmission input actuator positions as when it was in the stock front engine application.