LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 9:51 am 

My original idea was to do an “X” in the roof plane until I figured out that was how I was going to enter/exit the car! The window opening is way too small, so in and out the top it will be unfortunately. I probably made the main hoop a few inches too short which has a whole trickle-down effect as the project moves forward.

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 11:04 am 

Well you did ask!
The idea that you will crawl out and in the roof is an annoyance at the very least.
Rework your drivers side door bars for better access. You have very good protection there already. Remove and rework the top bar so it rolls down about 3-4 inches and your ingress egress problems will be solved. You will still have exceptional side protection and gain a speedy exit point when crap goes sideways. Then you are in a better position to brace the roof area which is a way worse hit for survivability when it occurs.
I love this project but we all post for either ego or input (Probably a little of both). I have provided mine and will be supplying you with a criticizable build in the next few months. The car is coming along fine but I want enough done so that there are no big gaps in posting (Think Binky).
As always have a nice day!

PostPosted: January 6, 2019, 12:49 pm 

As someone who has had an experience of landing a car upside down and finding all exits blocked I ask: If the window bars are too tight what is your exit strategy for upside down and the car is on fire scenario? It's a lousy feeling being stuck in a car wondering if the fuel is going to catch fire.....

Little late now, but I probably would have pushed the side impact bars further out. More room the better there when some 5000lb AMG driver runs out of talent/driver-aides.

I like the build and put some thought into doing similar. Decent donors were nowhere to be seen though so gave up. Keep up the good work!

Cheers.