LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: July 28, 2017, 5:26 pm 

Bob, I am very impressed with the G50 Mongrel. That's an awful lot of work but just awesome. Did you only do one of these or are there more floating around? Maybe a spare casting?

PostPosted: December 31, 2020, 11:25 pm 

I wanted to add some information that I learned which may be helpful. VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) Audi, Porsche VW engines and transmissions are widely interchangeable. The Audi 4.2 V8 and the 5.2 V10 bolt directly to the Porsche 6 spd in the Boxster as does the 1.8 Audi 4. The Audi 4.2 and the 5.2 are both 90 degree engines and compact, the 4.2 is 20” in length and the V10 is 27” long. The 4.2 weighs 440 lbs dressed and the V10 comes in at 485 dressed.

My interest which may or may not progress to reality involves a Boxster stretched 10” from the rear suspension to the bulkhead and a 0E1 Transaxle and the Audi V10 in place of the flat six. I found that early Boxsters with toasted engines aren’t worth much and at auction a roller can be had for $1500. Of course by the time everything is done much more money will be invested, but it’ll be a poor mans Carrera GT.

PostPosted: January 1, 2021, 1:30 am 

Anyone know the reliable torque capacity of the 0E1 gearboxes?

PostPosted: January 1, 2021, 1:55 am 

Kinetic Research wrote:
Anyone know the reliable torque capacity of the 0E1 gearboxes?

A lot, but best to speak with advanced automation.

PostPosted: January 5, 2021, 11:35 pm 

Porsche 930. At about 125 lbs, capability to run all day at 500 HP, and on short runs at 1000+ HP, they are about the best in power capability there is. I would say they would outlast a G50 in terms of strength. The downsides are if you want a typical H-pattern shift without fancy linkage using a shift rod to the back, then it must be run in an inverted configuration, BUT, that lowers the engine by about 6", giving a really nice CG and straight or horizontal axles, but will most likly need a dry sump, or a really shallow pan. The last downside is the outdated synchros, and to some, only 4 speeds. Yes, only 4, but they all are geared for high torque motors. 60 MPH in 1st gear is a capability at redline, and 190 in 4th. I've had one behind my 500 HP project with no issues at all (many track events), running 345 stickies on the back. Cost...they seem to be going up. I got mine at about $3500, and then spent another $3200 on a rebuild, but I don't expect to ever need another one.

BlueOvalZ photo documentation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9