LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: April 27, 2010, 8:52 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've bought all the rights will be building them here in Texas.

One thing I had considered is remote assemblers for customers far from Texas, but I've got to get this other car out of the way so my wife will quit giving me hell.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 28, 2010, 2:45 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I've bought all the rights will be building them here in Texas.

One thing I had considered is remote assemblers for customers far from Texas, but I've got to get this other car out of the way so my wife will quit giving me hell.

Ah the "wife" :roll: you are not alone carguy, it's just not easy to convince them that we "need" that little car that we never drive :?
I had this 89 mr2 supercharged that was "just sitting" in the garage, "taking space" :x she was sooooooooooooo happy wen I sold it :(
Anyway, I first read about the mongoose in an english kit car magazine and tought it was a very cool car, so please don't give up on it and keep us updated.
And...yes I would be interested!
:cheers: Tony

PostPosted: April 28, 2010, 10:24 am 
Toyotaphobe

Well it's not as if she doesn't have a precedent. I bought a 77 280Z to build up for my son's first car. (all my kids had to build a car before I'd allow them to have a car, even the girls) We decided to modify it a lot rather than leave it alone.

We went thru 3 engines, shaved handles, full roll cage, GC coilovers, etc. etc. and it took years. My son is now 25 but my wife won't forget that. It doesn't matter all the other cars I've built since and before then, that's the one that's stuck in her head.

I've done 2 Cobra replicas from scratch in the past 3 years but those don't count.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 6:51 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
I've gotten side tracked by a little different project. I haven't forgotten this and I work on it some fairly often (at least once a month), but I have a simpler project that's captured my attention. It's S2000 based since I have so many of those engines/cars around and just happen to have acquired a slightly wrecked version that's gotten in the way of working on the Mongoose with the S2000's constant begging to get back out on the streets. I have ADD if that explains anything.

But never fear because the new project has a very real applications towards the newly reborn Mongoose. It's helping me work out some of the ergonomics of the cockpit.

Bottom line is that no matter how much I love her, the Mongoose is just too danged small. You cannot fit two people in the cockpit without at least one of them being gay. If you're serious about going fast around corners in a parking lot then you'd better be going it alone cause a passenger gets in the way of the elbow action and you'd better be awfully careful of what you're grabbing and shifting - if you know what I mean.

Speaking of Autocrosses I was at the season ending autocross of the local S2000 club today and grizzled old man showed up in a white Yaris and then proceeded to whip up on about 3/4s of the cars. Once upon a time I had looked at the Yaris engine as a potential donor (it's a physically very small and light engine) but had quickly tossed it because of the lack of an upgrade path and well, because it's got a wimpy reputation. Let's face it in the school playground just about every car, except a 3 cylinder Suzuki, comes up to it and says "My engine can beat up your engine." How are you ever going to sell a car to more than 2 people with it's motivation provided by a Toyota ......................................................... of that caliber.

Well come to find out that engine has a pretty big following. (Yarisworld.com) OK the guys who drool over it and spend hours on the internet all also have Star Wars stickers all over the windows, but there are people out there who find it attractive. By the end of the day quite a few guys at the autocross with real cars found it attractive as well. It smoked some pretty wide tires for a long way out of the corners and it didn't turn over even once!

Here were the salient points to the little white Yaris per the owner. He had wheels that weighed 10# each, a cold air intake, exhaust system, underdrive pulleys and it had dyno'd with 107 whp.

Long story short, if you're stuck for an engine and are looking for something that revs great, is light & gets great gas mileage this might not be a bad choice. I'm told you can buy the engines cheap, but I haven't checked it out. I'm also told that even if the Yaris is discontinued as Toyota has said the engine is used worldwide and has an 1800cc brother.

I'm a sucker for minimalism and prefer a scalpel rather than the bigger hammer theory so to me it looks like a contender.

That same engine was in the Echo and the first generation Scion XA and Xb.
I have a 2001 Echo with 300,000 miles on it and have beaten the snot out of it since day one and consitently gotten 40 mpg. Great little car.

PostPosted: April 29, 2010, 7:07 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Oh really, I was told the engine was peculiar to the Yaris.

That's a really nice, small, compact, lightweight engine and tranny which would make for a very nice autocrosser in a 7ish car.

I know there's very little hop up parts, but I think someone once said that weight was power or something along those lines. Less weight is a hop up all by itself.

Obviously I still haven't checked it out, but Flipper 1938 are you aware of it's availability &/or pricing?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: May 2, 2010, 2:14 am 

You know, the hyundai accent and chevy aveo share a similar motor... 1.6 litre, 107 horsepower(flywheel). The Accent, as light as it is, is pretty peppy and revs well... I think its GM's 1.6 ecotec...

In the Hyundai, I think it's been pretty much the same since 1995...

shark racing carries some parts for the motors...

PostPosted: May 2, 2010, 3:14 am 

If I may offer a sugestion on the engines, we also have the new mini cooper, maybe a bit expensive at the momente but the prices are coming down.
:cheers: Tony

PostPosted: May 2, 2010, 3:56 am 

The non-cooper edition models might not be too bad, 110 hp or so?

PostPosted: May 2, 2010, 2:30 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It's my understanding that the Aveo is Daewoo and the engines go POP very easily.

There are 2 types of Mini motors and neither of them very inexpensive, or at least they weren't a year ago.

The Accent motor I know nothing about, but I was told that it was heavy and designed around an older Mazda motor. Everything I just said may be a lie, but that's what I was told. I've never had one handy to be able to look under the hood.

If we're going to go with a 100ish hp motor it must be LIGHT and small to make it as nimble as possible, otherwise why not go with one of the standards?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 8:41 am 

We beat the pee out of a couple of accents straight off the lot up to about 40k each... totaled them before the motors blew... never "popped" one... They don't take boost very well from what I hear... The Aveo guys don't seem to have a problem autocrossing or on the road courses.

Daewoo is General Motors Korea, or at least was, until they started branding every thing Chevy...

I wasn't sure how expensive the base cooper motor would... I guess it is still a bimmer...

PostPosted: May 3, 2010, 8:44 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYUNDAI- ... ccessories

Here's an accent motor on ebay... sorry about the long link...

PostPosted: October 6, 2012, 2:44 pm 

hi im from the uk hope the mongoose is going ok are they in production if so are the chassis for sale or even a set of plans as i was gutted when i found out they are no longer made in the uk as these are great track day cars with a good bike engine in them
many thanks rick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7