LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 15, 2024, 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30, 2006, 3:15 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Sorry the fault is mine on the word censor/replacement ...This site has had a problem with SPAMMMERS and the word replacement as a way to deal with it.
I will loosen the word replacement/censor as is needed.

Dick = Dick It should be that way throughout the entire site now.

"OVER BUILT" Dick you caught me there...I am probably the one that mentioned that, but like you explained your job is to build. I have spent alot of time following your build amd I have been awed by it. I was inspired by your vision, the quality, and your FAST work pace. Most of the users/posters here have read at least the Champion book on space frames (but very few would feel comfortable designing and building a mono/tub or even a space frame from scratch).

The space-frame might have saved you some weight but probably cost you build time. Building a monoquce from scratch would have cost greater build time.

Well done regaurdless the past comments. (Please don't think that criticism undermines the project you have created, everyone one I have spoken to admires your craftsmanship.)

The current replicia/recreation market is growing and I hope you find a comfortable niche if you decide to pursue producing your cars in numbers. Again thank you for joining and welcome aboard. I think I speak for everyone in saying welcome aboard.

We all look forward to hearing/reading updates on your build and any future projects. I am green with envy with your metal working skills. Somehow it is reassurring to know that people still do it from scratch, by pitures they found for inspiration, and build their childhood dreams.

Again welcome aboard...

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30, 2006, 1:55 pm 

Hey Mr. Peabody and new friends,

I wasn't offended by any of the comments made. I just wanted to take the opportunity to explain my position based on where I was (am) in the whole scheme of building a car from scratch.

Obviously compromises where, and had to be, made to accommodate both my desire and my lack of expertise in certain areas necessary to accomplish the whole. Building on srengths while attempting to minimize my weaknesses I made certai choices but I tried to over compensate in areas I felt uncertain.

I have grown during the process and feel that areas that were once weak have been strengthen due to suggestions and critical input by others throughout the process.

Thank you.

Dick Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6, 2006, 10:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Well, I went and kicked the beehive again... posting over there again, now that the car is done. I see the rear suspension is on the list of things to address... after driving it... AKKK!

I give up.

Dibs on the drivetrain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7, 2006, 12:29 am 

Kurt,

I read through that exchange. Interesting... I think that this is a very cool build, and I admire anyone who is putting that much effort into a project. I have sent a link to a few of my friends because I thought it was cool. Thier response was (without me pointing it out) "cool project...but what is up with that rear suspension". These are mostly my racing/track buddies, all of which have prepared thier own race cars along the way.

As mentioned earlier, I think the guys involved in the metal shaping group just have a completely different perspective when it comes to priorites when building a car. It seems a lot more like the hot rod crowd. I am not saying that is bad, but it is different from what most of us focus on. You did the right thing as a fellow car builder by pointing out the questionable design. Your delivery could have been a little more positive, but as you said the message is the same. One of the things that sucks about the internet is that it is hard to express the emotion behind a statement and different writing styles can be mistaken for different "meanings" or tones of what is being said.

All that being said, I would add another vote for getting that suspension sorted out. My comment would be, it should be perfectly fine for cruising and *maybe* ok for some "sprited" driving...but if the intention is to go fast on a racetrack (road course) then some scary stuff could happen. Regardless...hats off to Mr. Bear for a cool project, and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

My final thought will be this...I have seen many builds from around the world thanks to the internet. I have yet to find one that is "perfect"...even among the real good ones. There is always some sort of flaw that jumps out at me. I will be the first to say that my project is not perfect either...that is not my intention. I focused on the things that were imprtant to me and have tried to learn along the way. If I was striving for perfection...it would never be "done".

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

Post subject: McBearen in the flesh
PostPosted: October 18, 2006, 1:20 pm 
Folks,

I have seen it in person. If you want to see it live on the Internet try here.

http://216.227.34.7/CgiStart?page=Single&Language=0

This is at MM06. The car is one man's long time dream come true.

While it is not Lotus based, you have to understand Dick built the whole chassis / body from scratch. There was not book to follow, no Internet group.

Dick has been at MM's before and completed a CycleKart to get his appetite whetted. And whetted it was.

In approximately one year, Dick in his spare time created the McBearen. This is a very close replica of the McLarens of years past (dare I say "last century'). Dick opted to a reasonable cost FWD engine / transmission transplanted to the rear.

Dick then focused on the basis of the McBearen. The chassis / frame is make of steel and the body is aluminum. The whole car is fantastic.

Dick is in the process of finishing it. It no doubt, will be a long and on going process. Presently, as you can see in the WebCam, the car is complete, street licensed and subject to tweaking.

The focus on the aluminum work is proper since the vast majority was made from aluminum sheet stock. The workmanship is first class and it really shows that in person.

Dick took an accelerated metal shaping class given in Mass. to be able to tackle the complex shapes that need to be formed. The aluminum welding is first class too.

Dick has his dream McLaren look alike updated with modern parts where appropriate.

Great Job!

DFE

Last edited by DavidFE on October 18, 2006, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18, 2006, 3:24 pm 

He mentioned painting it (pity) any idea what color he has chosen?

To err is human...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30, 2006, 4:22 pm 

COLOR?... McLaren orange, of course!

Dick Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2006, 12:17 am 

I'm not much concerned about Mr. Bear's willingness to finish it to the driveable stage first and improve the suspension second, despite my high hebbeejeebies whenever anybody gets innovative on rear suspension. We all have our priorities and there are a wide variety of motives for building one's own car. it's clear to me that his priorities are far different from mine but as long as he doesn't think he's in a real McLaren Mk 6 he'll probably be fine on the street, even though his rear suspension will benefit from optomization.

KB58 wrote:
About the frame, the massive (2" x 4" x 1/8") lower frame rails would be MUCH stiffer torsionally if he had diagonal "X" bracing. As it is I think it'll be great in bending but poor in torsion, but oh well.

True also, but then what he'd have is a better handling car with seats raised 4", and on that particular car, which is a work of art, I don't think I'd make that compromise.

In my opinion, anybody's car can be improved by adjusting it to better suit my tastes, but it may not be an improvement from the owner/builder's perspective. How many times have us se7en drivers been told our car is cool, but it'd be so much cooler with a 327 under the bonnet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2006, 12:29 am 

I think that the McBearen is truely an awesome build in many ways. The man hours, the rapid build scedule, and the craftmanship are awe inspiring.

I would like to build a middy project someday and I hope my finished product meassures up.

To err is human...

PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 1:53 pm 

Check-out the latest progress of the McBearen build at:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.p ... 18&page=57

I only have the upholstry and NC DMV to deal with before making some driving/handling tests.

Dick Bear

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 2:45 pm 

Wow! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 5:40 pm 

I wondered what you'd been up to for the last six months. And now we know. FanTAstic! By the way, fellow Locosters, when you get on the link Dick put in his message (two above this 'un), click back to page #56 to see what the exitement is about.

Man, that's a treat to see.

Do you mind a few mundane questions? Hope not, 'cause here goes: What state* are you in and how is your DMV going to feel about your headlight height? Ours demands 22" (if I recall) to headlight center. Your may well have a waiver for ESVs (e.g. "...22 inches from road surface to center of headlight, excluding cars adjudged to be Extremely Beautiful Vehicles [Vehicle Code 312.12.04] which must have headlights mounted where they look nicest."). If it doesn't have such an exemption yet, I'll sign the petition.

And here's a Mundane question with a capital M: where'd you get the rubber jobbies that hold the front body (hood if it were front engines) down on the sides?

Lovely, lovely, lovely work.

*Of euphoria I'm sure but that's not what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5, 2007, 10:02 pm 

Jack,

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

The last and first quarter of the year are historically the most busy quarters in my business as corporate sponsors are preparing for the new years racing season with 'new and exciting' activities and sights for the Nextel Cup racing schedule. So I was unable to so a lot on the McBearen during that period. As soon as possible however, I jumped back into the McBearen mode and have now just about finished it up.

Answers to your questions:

Fortunately North Carolina has only a maximum headlight height regulation (somewhere in the neigborhood of 40") so my lights being around 14" should pass inspection.

I belive I ordered the black rubber pull-latches from Southco Fasteners but I'll check that for sure and PM the link to you. They are neat littledevises in that when they are open they flex slightly if brushed against and unlike metal pull-latches the risk of accidental scratches of painted surfaces is greatly reduced.

Thanks again for your interest in the McBearen.

Dick Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9, 2007, 3:55 am 

McBearen..... side view with graphics.

Dick Bear

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6, 2007, 10:12 am 

Dick I must say that I am quite envious of your talent. It looks like a quality machine! Best of luck tuning!

My Replacement for Displacement is BOOST

"The first way to lose a pound is to lose an ounce"