LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 18, 2024, 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From where to start?
PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 4:04 pm 

Hi people of the forum,I'm from Brazil, I'm 15 y.o, I really really like cars, someday I found something called the Ar-i-el At-om, I was like wow, since then I always wanted to make mine, but didn't know how,and because didnt have the money, now with a bit more knowledge I want to make my dream come true and build my own.So I'd like to have some tips about how you started you project, what material did you use, how much time it took, what common problems you had when building. I probably cannot buy a donor car, coz here where I live even salvage cars(useful ones) may start and like 3k Us dollars, then I'll have to start with reconditioned stuff,post your tips!

Questions:

What will I need to do to change to make a engine from a fwd car to the back and make it rwd?

Thanks!

:P

Post subject: Re: From where to start?
PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 8:33 pm 
Always Moore!

Welcome Rader.

The best thing you can do is search around here. All of those questions have been discussed extensively. You have a huge library to read through.

The FAQ section at the top of the board contains many common questions new comers have - give it a read.

Also read through the Engine and Drivetrain section. There are many, many threads on how to transplant a FWD engine and transaxle into a mid engine car.

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 9:54 pm 
The voice of reason

Rader, good luck. Follow the good advice above.

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 11:20 pm 

You should be reading in this forum:
Building non-traditional, mid engine etc.
and checking out build logs like

Jon's At-om clone in the non traditional build log section:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1503

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 2:48 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Check here......
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7573

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

PostPosted: October 10, 2009, 11:18 pm 

Read, read, read,
And when you think you´re ready, read some more.
Things to have present at all times:
-Lighter is better. (look who is talking :oops: building a V8)
-Availability and price of donor is something you need to address from the beginning as this will drive a lot of the decisions you will be making
-Do not try to be too novel as there´s a lot of mistakes and corrections well documented here and in the UK forum.
-Did I said read?

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 12:08 pm 

Ok, was searching a bit and alot of people are saying me to read read.Ok then, but which books I must buy?
I've heard of Tune To Win, but which other would you recommend? I'd like to have books for suspension, steering, etc...

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 12:16 pm 

Lots of people are saying to me to read read read. That's ok, but I don't know which ones to buy?
Which book you would recommend?I've heard of Tune for Win, is it any good?

Feel free to post !

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 2:25 pm 
Always Moore!

viewtopic.php?t=1030

Check this thread out - its just about entirely dedicated to new builder reading material.

Tune to Win and Prepare to Win (both by Carroll Smith) and How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn are all must reads before you do anything. There are others but those will get you started on the basics.

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 5:46 pm 

a.moore wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=1030

Check this thread out - its just about entirely dedicated to new builder reading material.

Tune to Win and Prepare to Win (both by Carroll Smith) and How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn are all must reads before you do anything. There are others but those will get you started on the basics.

Ok, but tell me something what would be the basics? Engine, suspension, steering ?

PostPosted: October 11, 2009, 8:15 pm 

Rader wrote:
a.moore wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=1030

Ok, but tell me something what would be the basics? Engine, suspension, steering ?

These people shouting "read-read-read!" aren't telling you to buy books. They are telling you to read the information that has already been posted here. Do a search, or look at the links folks have posted for you and read! Come back and ask away when you have a specific question, but there is no off the shelf recipe. These cars are all different and require the builder do their own homework.

Your general questions could have lots of different answers depending on 100s of different variables that you are overlooking.

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 5:06 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Rader
The people telling you to "read read read" are trying to get you into a mindset were you will be able to answer your own questions....or at least know the the direction to go to ask more questions.

If you want to build an At-om you need to learn everything you can about the At-om, and why they made certain decissions they made in designing that car.

You need to understand the laws in your country on custom car building.....or how you can build what you want.

Suspension design.....straight forward, read and study what kind of suspension the At-om uses, how they set it up (and know what parts break easily). You might benefit from understanding "bell cranks" and why some people use motorcycle shocks. (and why some people froem on using them)

Because you want to build a mid-engined car few books will directly address the issues you will be facing. KB58's book Kiminni does deal will a number of these issues.

If you REALLY want to build an At-om you have to be able to answer any question about your car and explain why you desided to use a certain hub over another....or why you modified the design.

One of the links I posted in another thread was to Proximacentauri's build thread.....he built an At-om when he was 18. He did it by himself...you can too!
Proximacentauri's Mid-Engine Exocar
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3030

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 9:19 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Everything everyone's posted is very true. And, as was kindly mentioned by mr. peabody, my book on mid-engine sports car design will show you what's involved: http://www.kimini.com/book_info/

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 4:00 pm 

Ok, got Prepare To Win last saturday.Tune To Win and How To Make Your Car Handle arrived today, but is there one of the three I should read first ?

PostPosted: November 16, 2009, 4:35 pm 
The voice of reason

Maybe start with "How to make your car handle". You will likely read them all twice, sooner or later.

I'm glad your keeping at it.