LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 4:22 pm 

I am coming along well with my build. I am building a “Book” frame Locost with a 1995 Miata as a donor, trying to stay somewhat close to the original Lotus 7 look. The frame is to the point where I need to design and fabricate the transmission/driveshaft tunnel. As such, I would like to roughly locate the engine, transmission, and differential assemblies. To do this, I need to know how high I can locate the engine and still have hood clearance. To do this, I need to know what nosecone and scuttle I am going to use so I can get the height-from-the-frame dimension for the nosecone and scuttle panel (engine bay height openings). So my question has three parts: What is the most popular/cheapest/appropriate fiberglas nosecone and scuttle for my type of build; where can I get them since so many shops are now out of business; and what are the dimensions I am seeking for the body panels being recommended? Thanks in advance for the help. I will be asking many more questions, I am sure, and I will try to gather as much information from a forum search before I ask. “Bandana” Doug ….o~’o

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 9:01 pm 

kinetics
http://www.kineticvehicles.com/

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 9:40 pm 

Jack McCornack is the proprietor of Kinetic Vehicles, a regular contributor to this site, and the go-to guy for Locost bits in the USA. He should be able to answer any questions you might have.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 11:26 pm 

Get one of Jack's (Kinetic) nose cones, then trim the sides to tilt it forward a few degrees. This will not only look good, but it'll raise the back of the nose half an inch and match the angle of the hood better. You can go as high as 11" at the forward edge of trhe scuttle. 10-1/2" will look better. If you have the nose, you can mock up the scuttle firewall in cardboard, then run tape from the scuttle to the nose to give you an idea of the shape and height of the hood.

Fitting the engine under the hood can be a challenge. A large percentage of Locosts, like about 75%, have at least the air cleaner sticking out, and sometimes the engine. Hood scoops and bulges are not uncommon. The Miata engine can be made to fit a little easier.

Here's my car with Jack's nose, tilted forward, and a 10-1/2" scuttle. Obviously the engine didn't fit, and a future hood scoop is a possibility. That's still quite a slope on the hood. It wouldn't look better with an 11" scuttle, and that still wouldn't get the engine covered. A taller nose wouldn't look any better either.