LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 20, 2015, 6:02 pm 

Check us out at http://www.whartonroadster.com/

Our car is a little bigger than the Locost. The Locost is a kit car that is a replica to the Lotus 7. Our Wharton Roadster is 6inches wider and 6 inches longer, making the handling superb. Call us or contact us by email for a quote on your Wharton Roadster.

[edited 12/30/15 by jackmccornack to fix the typo in the link in the first sentence]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 20, 2015, 6:05 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I'm wondering if he even reads the threads after he posts these?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 20, 2015, 10:16 pm 

Quote:

He has never replied to anyone else's posts. Only his self-promoting posts. According to his Last visited: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:02 pm. based on Google searches, I think he is trying to build a PR campaign trying to make his hobby, into a business. I think he has no interest in helping any builders or asking for advice.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 21, 2015, 1:21 am 

Hey now, he's making an effort, and if this was his first post we'd be giving him an attaboy...it's probably just 'cause we're a bit numb from seeing his similar posts scattered all over LocostUSA. Also, telling us what we're doing here...
Whartonroadster wrote:
The Locost is a kit car that is a replica to the Lotus 7.
...is perhaps premature, and would be improved by lurking longer before posting.
carguy123 wrote:
In hopes that he does: Mr. Wharton, the Locost is not a kit car and is not a replica of a Lotus Seven. Like your car, the Locost is inspired by the Lotus Seven, but because the Locost is not a kit car (Locosts are built from scratch, and most of them start as a pile of tubing and an idea) it attracts a very different kind of builder than do kits.
Whartonroadster wrote:
Our car is a little bigger than the Locost...Our Wharton Roadster is 6inches wider and 6 inches longer, making the handling superb.
Not sure what specs you're reading for Locost width and length (track and wheelbase?) but if you'd give yours, we could compare it with what various Locosters are building. If you're comparing with Lotus Seven specs (and again, a Locost is not a Lotus Seven replica) Locosts are also typically 6" larger in track and wheelbase, but it's not because wider&longer = handling superber, it's so we can use suspension and drive components from modern cars (we're all out of Nash Metropolitans) and because we're fatter than sporting drivers of the '60s.

(BTW, newer Locosts tend to be bigger than older Locosts--if Kinetic nose and scuttle sales are any indication, the majority of current Locost builds are +4 or +2 width.)

For kits and turnkey marketing, I think you'd be better off with USA7s.com...but they have rules and customs too, so lurk over there for a bit before posting, so you don't look like a spammer. To score with Locost builders, you'd do well to offer parts and components for homebuilders. Your clamshell fenders (indeed all your fenders) look good, and I read that a hard top is available (photos?), I'll bet there'd be interest in those.

PostPosted: December 21, 2015, 9:55 am 

I've got 2 3/4 builds under my belt; I wonder if I should open the TooBusy Roadster factory.

Toss in the Mini, a couple of Sprites, the MGB, and the V6 MGA, maybe I need to open Too Busy Customz

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: December 22, 2015, 12:52 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Thanks for starting this thread in the Supplier's section! This will be a great place to reasonably promote your products and services, and to answer questions about your design!

Folks -- please give the Whartons' a warm welcome! :-)

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 4:42 pm 

+1 what Dave Hempy said. Mr. Wharton, your car is bigger than a Locost; what are its dimensions? We generally reference based on the original Ron Champion book for the chassis (e.g. a +442 is 4" longer, 4" wider, and 2" higher than a 'book' Locost) but wheelbase and track help too. Also, a few prices for the parts you sell (if you sell parts) would help, e.g. fenders (clamshell, cycle, and rear) and chassis.

PostPosted: January 17, 2016, 11:56 pm 

(crickets.......)

PostPosted: January 18, 2016, 12:01 am 

Wharton, Are you more interested in furnishing completed cars or do you plan to offer various components like the very nice looking rag top, or maybe the clamshell fenders ? What rear axle does your build use ? Would be interested in hearing from you. Cheers ! !

PostPosted: February 4, 2016, 10:15 pm 

Just curious, is your exhaust hard mounted to the frame?

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 5:13 pm 

Perhaps the engine is, too.

PostPosted: February 5, 2016, 7:46 pm 

I had my exhaust mounted solid to the frame, thinking that it would be OK with my solid mounted engine. I was wrong about that and it is now on rubber hangers. Turns out the exhaust changes length as it heats and cools, which I didn't think of.
Kristian

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 4:40 pm 

True, but in this case the exhaust mount appears to have a lot of fore-aft flexibility.

PostPosted: February 13, 2016, 8:05 pm 

Hi Dave
In reply to your question yes we wish to promote our products & services.
Jack McCornack asked for car details.
w/base 101 inch Track f/r 58.5 inch side panels 15 inch deep
Front suspension G.M. spindles reversed steering rack behined spindles. Suspension arms polished stainless steel bushings delrin
engine Buick v6 3.8 liter 1978 vintage total rebuild all new parts.
Pistons + .030 bore from Turbo charged Regal
cylinder head and Edelbrock manifold gas flowed larger valves & stronger springs
comp cam for faster road work. Carb Edelbrock four barrel.
Valve covers buick Turbo.
Transmission auto turbo 350.
Rear suspension Jaguar xj6 stock mounted in its cage. 8 silent block bushings locate unit to space frame
windshield curved Lexan chicken prove.This car is being fitted with hardtop & gull wing doors in roof for ease of entry.
I will be adding parts for sale in the coming weeks, I do not want to sell fiberglass body parts you all ready have that covered

Eric Wharton

PostPosted: February 13, 2016, 10:14 pm 

Whartonroadster wrote:
Jack McCornack asked for car details.
I did, and the response is appreciated. I'm sure the folks that read this forum will be intrigued--I sure am. You have an original approach there.
Whartonroadster wrote:
I do not want to sell fiberglass body parts you all ready have that covered
We don't have clamshells covered, and yours look quite nice--I'd be happy to point queries your way if the price fits the Locost spirit. And while I'll admit I'm pretty committed to the Kinetic components myself, I think other builders might be interested in your hood/nose combo.

However...
Whartonroadster wrote:
windshield curved Lexan chicken prove.
Pics or it didn't happen. You're a supplier to this industry and shouldn't bullbleep your customers, or potential customers. Windshield failures are a serious risk, and our cars (and presumably yours) are not built to modern safety standards, and honesty is the best policy. I'll be pleased to eat my words, but I've been involved in enough impact and structural testing to doubt your claim. 'Scuse me for being a grouch, but when it comes to safety, a manufacturer shouldn't say what isn't so. Unless you're using an extremely young chicken or an unrealistically low muzzle velocity, I think you're...exaggerating.